Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:20 AM   #1
hbksabhi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Bought Macbook Air but Getting Eyestrain

=> hello guys ,
i finally did it and brought my dream computer home .
i am in so much love with machine but the discomfort to my eyes from the screen is really concerning me.

i have a LG Panel LP133WP1-TJA7
and downloaded a profile from osxdaily . made contrast better . i have no other problem with the display .
i tried flux too but dont like the yellowness of screen and the screen looks uneven to me , like even looking at it straight i find the brightness uneven . but that doesn't bother me when flux is off during the day .

i really love the machine and i was glad i didn't get retina because of my needs but this is a real concern for me . i would also like to mention there are no return policy in my Country and do some people feel strain from retina too ?

Last edited by hbksabhi; Aug 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
hbksabhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:34 AM   #2
s15119
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbksabhi View Post
=> hello guys ,
i finally did it and brought my dream computer home .
i am in so much love with machine but the discomfort to my eyes from the screen is really concerning me.

i have a LG Panel LP133WP1-TJA7
and downloaded a profile from osxdaily . made contrast better . i have no other problem with the display .
i tried flux too but dont like the yellowness of screen and the screen looks uneven to me , like even looking at it straight i find the vertical brightness uneven . but that doesn't bother me when flux is off during the day .

i really love the machine and i was glad i didn't get retina because of my needs but this is a real concern for me . i would also like to mention there are no return policy in my Country and do some people feel strain from retina too ?
Go visit an eye doctor.
s15119 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:36 AM   #3
ZBoater
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
No return policy? What country is that? I'm curious.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:38 AM   #4
hbksabhi
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by s15119 View Post
Go visit an eye doctor.
that was very supportive of you

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
No return policy? What country is that? I'm curious.
INDIA as there is no apple store here , only authorised resellers
hbksabhi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:44 AM   #5
ZBoater
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbksabhi View Post
INDIA as there is no apple store here , only authorised resellers
Oh wow. Very interesting. I learned something new today. Good luck.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:49 AM   #6
AXs
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbksabhi View Post
=> hello guys ,
i finally did it and brought my dream computer home .
i am in so much love with machine but the discomfort to my eyes from the screen is really concerning me.

i have a LG Panel LP133WP1-TJA7
and downloaded a profile from osxdaily . made contrast better . i have no other problem with the display .
i tried flux too but dont like the yellowness of screen and the screen looks uneven to me , like even looking at it straight i find the brightness uneven . but that doesn't bother me when flux is off during the day .

i really love the machine and i was glad i didn't get retina because of my needs but this is a real concern for me . i would also like to mention there are no return policy in my Country and do some people feel strain from retina too ?
You're not the first person to feel strain from working with the Air. This is one of the first things I noticed when I got the Air. For late night in-bed usage - email, etc... I use my iPad Retina. It is MUCH easier on the eyes.
AXs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:05 PM   #7
hbksabhi
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXs View Post
You're not the first person to feel strain from working with the Air. This is one of the first things I noticed when I got the Air. For late night in-bed usage - email, etc... I use my iPad Retina. It is MUCH easier on the eyes.
did you get used to it overtime ?
i mean did it get a little comfortable
hbksabhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:16 PM   #8
AXs
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
It's fine now. But I can feel my eye focus level change drastically when I switch to my iPad (more relaxed).

Check these threads out-
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1610974

What I notice helps reduce strain is that I make the window relatively smaller.
It reduces the area of focus. It certainly helps, especially when working with white backgrounds in darker areas.

But at the end of the day, It always been bad for the eyes to focus on electronic items in the dark. The pupil doesn't behave naturally due to conflicting lightwaves.

I recommend using bed-light.
AXs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:45 PM   #9
hbksabhi
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXs View Post
It's fine now. But I can feel my eye focus level change drastically when I switch to my iPad (more relaxed).

Check these threads out-
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1610974

What I notice helps reduce strain is that I make the window relatively smaller.
It reduces the area of focus. It certainly helps, especially when working with white backgrounds in darker areas.

But at the end of the day, It always been bad for the eyes to focus on electronic items in the dark. The pupil doesn't behave naturally due to conflicting lightwaves.

I recommend using bed-light.
ok , i too have an ipad mini , but will contemplate switching to ipad 5 if form factor is good and keep macbook air for less work then but i think it will improve otherwise i will connect it to a external display if i need to work long hours
hbksabhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:01 PM   #10
trueno86
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I had the same issue. After using it for more then 15 minutes I would get a killer headache. My eyes are fine, and I use screens all day and night big and small. I can use an iPad display for hours on end no problem.

I had an LG panel as well. My hunch is that the backlight that caused headaches and eyestrain. I can see it flicker, but out of 5 people only one also said they saw it. Ended up returning it. Just going to wait for Retina / IPS on this machine.
trueno86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:14 PM   #11
hbksabhi
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueno86 View Post
I had the same issue. After using it for more then 15 minutes I would get a killer headache. My eyes are fine, and I use screens all day and night big and small. I can use an iPad display for hours on end no problem.

I had an LG panel as well. My hunch is that the backlight that caused headaches and eyestrain. I can see it flicker, but out of 5 people only one also said they saw it. Ended up returning it. Just going to wait for Retina / IPS on this machine.
cant see any flicker or any other issue with the display but now as suggested by a user here in above post the eye strain is less when not maximising windows with full white background like safari .
hbksabhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:19 PM   #12
vicynic
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
I usually get eyestrain when the backlight (brightness) is higher than the ambient lighting. I try to match it or keep it a little lower. YMMV.
vicynic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Mikael
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
The MBAs backlight is pretty powerful, so make sure you don't set it above 50% if you have sensitive eyes and you're using it indoors. Other than that, I have no idea what specifically could cause the eye strain. I've owned two MBA 13", one with LG screen and one with Samsung. Both were equally sharp and had no flicker (and I'm pretty sensitive to such things).
Mikael is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:29 PM   #14
hbksabhi
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
The MBAs backlight is pretty powerful, so make sure you don't set it above 50% if you have sensitive eyes and you're using it indoors. Other than that, I have no idea what specifically could cause the eye strain. I've owned two MBA 13", one with LG screen and one with Samsung. Both were equally sharp and had no flicker (and I'm pretty sensitive to such things).
did you experience discomfort ?
hbksabhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Mikael
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbksabhi View Post
did you experience discomfort ?
Nope. Well, if I crank up the backlight in a dark room, I definitely experience discomfort. That has very little to do with the MBA, though.
Mikael is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:53 AM   #16
s15119
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbksabhi View Post
that was very supportive of you[COLOR="#808080"]
You're welcome. It was a serious suggestion.
s15119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 05:23 AM   #17
hbksabhi
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by s15119 View Post
You're welcome. It was a serious suggestion.
i am also thinking i should however its getting a little better each hour i use it
but not as easy on the eyes as iPad mini ....
hbksabhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:08 PM   #18
beautifulcoder
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Republic of Texas
I would not recalibrate the screen. Apple invests lots of money into making sure the default is the best you can possibly get. Keep enjoying it for a while and you'll grow to love it. At first, the fonts were too small and fuzzy for me. Now all PC screens look like unimaginative pieces of crap compared to this.
beautifulcoder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:50 PM   #19
Mikael
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulcoder View Post
I would not recalibrate the screen. Apple invests lots of money into making sure the default is the best you can possibly get. Keep enjoying it for a while and you'll grow to love it. At first, the fonts were too small and fuzzy for me. Now all PC screens look like unimaginative pieces of crap compared to this.
A screen can look "unimaginative"? Anyways, no, the MacBook Air's screen certainly isn't the best it can be out of the box. I have hardware calibration (i1 Display Pro) and it makes a very big (positive) difference. When removing the screen profile after having used it for a few weeks, it looks like there's something wrong with it...
Mikael is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 05:57 PM   #20
Harmonious Zen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
To the poster who suggested getting an eye exam, that actually is not a bad idea. I also had eyestrain viewing my MBA and then it magically went away after an eye exam and an increased prescription. Your problem may or may not be the same, but it's certainly something to consider.

F.lux was OK for the first few days but just got annoying afterwards. I don't care if it helps - it looks horrible.
Harmonious Zen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:12 PM   #21
Saturn1217
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
What computer were you using before?

I also experienced eye strain coming from my 1280x800 MBP to the 1440x900 MBA. Everything is smaller and it takes your eyes a bit to adjust to reading this all the time.

I don't really notice the PPI increase now but when I first got my MBA (the 2012 version in January) it was killing me.
__________________
13" MBA 2013, 1.7 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD
Saturn1217 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 09:49 AM   #22
beautifulcoder
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
A screen can look "unimaginative"? Anyways, no, the MacBook Air's screen certainly isn't the best it can be out of the box. I have hardware calibration (i1 Display Pro) and it makes a very big (positive) difference. When removing the screen profile after having used it for a few weeks, it looks like there's something wrong with it...
Yes, Wretched Windows in particular has problems rendering big beautiful fonts. The DPI scaling is atrocious if you go above 100%. It feels like everything was setup in the days when 72 DPI and 12 point fonts roamed the planet. In all, unimaginative.
beautifulcoder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:07 AM   #23
NitinNike
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbksabhi View Post
that was very supportive of you

----------


INDIA as there is no apple store here , only authorised resellers
Who said there aren't any return policies in India?
Authorized resellers are the ones to replace or repair your apple products for free if you are in warranty period.
NitinNike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 01:20 PM   #24
hbksabhi
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinNike View Post
Who said there aren't any return policies in India?
Authorized resellers are the ones to replace or repair your apple products for free if you are in warranty period.
no refund brother
hbksabhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 01:22 PM   #25
Gav2k
macrumors 601
 
Gav2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Op seriously you need to get reading glasses. That is your problem
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eyestrain with Macbook Air 2013 Seammal MacBook Air 32 Jul 19, 2013 08:51 AM
I Just Bought a MacBook Air... and Love it! Amrives MacBook Air 13 Feb 11, 2013 11:43 AM
Bought wife a Macbook Air tawcat Mac Basics and Help 1 Jan 22, 2013 03:19 AM
Just bought MacBook Air... How to update to 10.8.2? Farplaner MacBook Air 10 Dec 20, 2012 02:09 PM
Bought MacBook Air. What accessories? TheLuckyOne01 Buying Tips and Advice 3 Aug 22, 2012 09:40 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC