Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Cut the Rope' Named App of the Week, Available for Free

ZeptoLab's hit puzzle game Cut the Rope has been named Apple's App of the Week, which means it can be downloaded for free for the first time ever. First introduced in 2010, the game's gesture-based gameplay and and candy-gobbling character Om Nom earned it instant popularity with players of all skill levels.

In Cut the Rope, players swipe to cut candies dangling from ropes, causing the candy to fall into Om Nom's waiting mouth. Levels become more difficult as the game progresses, introducing a number of obstacles that must be overcome to get the candy to Om Nom.

Quote:
A mysterious package has arrived, and the little monster inside has only one request... CANDY! Collect gold stars, discover hidden prizes and unlock exciting new levels in this addictively fun, award-winning, physics-based game!
Since its debut, Cut the Rope has been updated numerous times to add additional content and levels to the game. Currently, there are more than 375 levels to complete, along with superpowers and a newly introduced candy-stealing mouse mechanic.

Cut the Rope is available for the iPhone or iPad and it will be free for one week. [Direct Links: iPhone/iPad]

Article Link: 'Cut the Rope' Named App of the Week, Available for Free
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:09 PM   #2
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Yes! Times like this I'm pleased I'm a tight sod when it comes to buying apps. Glad I held off on purchasing this one.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:12 PM   #3
gerlitzappel
macrumors regular

is this a new version?

I thought Cut the Rope was previously offered as the app of the week. I got it free from somewhere, maybe Starbucks
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:20 PM   #4
ALMF
macrumors regular

when i open the app its Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders not Cut the Rope
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Nozuka
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerlitzappel View Post
I thought Cut the Rope was previously offered as the app of the week. I got it free from somewhere, maybe Starbucks
This was free, dont think its the same:

Nozuka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:28 PM   #6
mabhatter
macrumors 6502a

I feel so bad when I miss giving Om Nom the candy. He is so happy anticipating his treats, but his little heart get SO broken every time you drop one. It's tear-jerking!

You'll laugh, you'll cry... You'll suddenly have missing time like the Bermuda Triangle... Wondering if you REALLY did try that level 142 times????
mabhatter is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:43 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

YAY for free HD version. HATE when the iPad version costs extra.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:49 PM   #8
D.T.
macrumors 68030

This is such a fun little game! Great design, easy to play, but some of the levels require a good bit of thought (and occasionally, some really careful timing).
Old Aug 29, 2013, 03:07 PM   #9
JAT
macrumors 603

Experiments is more fun.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:35 PM   #10
macnisse
macrumors 6502

Great game, up there together with pudding monsters, thanx! :-D
macnisse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:49 PM   #11
JackieInCo
macrumors 68000

So the game normally costs money to buy and still has in app purchases? No thanks.
JackieInCo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:52 PM   #12
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieInCo View Post
So the game normally costs money to buy and still has in app purchases? No thanks.
I think the IAP is just a link to buy CTR: Experiments. I don't recall there being any "in game" purchasing.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:53 PM   #13
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Cut the Rope is fantastic! It's like the Angry Birds that doesn't get on my nerves for some reason.
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 01:02 AM   #14
charlituna
macrumors G3

Hmmm might be nice if they weren't putting up three year old apps from a fairly big developer as the freebie
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:32 AM   #15
arcite
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Hmmm might be nice if they weren't putting up three year old apps from a fairly big developer as the freebie
Who cares how old it is, its free.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:48 AM   #16
blitzer09x87
macrumors 6502

good game, but, not enough levels. i hope they introduce more levels soon.
blitzer09x87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:13 AM   #17
bpcookson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Seriously? I can't believe the backlash on in-app purchases. I think it's a fantastic thing, and terribly convenient. I won't argue that some developers don't use IAP in a slimy way, but those practices are worth shunning and will naturally be suppressed if people just stop feeding the trolls.

But isn't it nice to download a game with a free demo built in? I don't want to have to search for a "Lite" version, download that to check it out, and then go back to the app store to get the real thing when it can be so easy with IAP to simply unlock the remainder of the game. That single use-case completely justifies IAP.

It's logic like yours that ruins good things for everyone. Some kid abuses his parents' credit card because 1) a developer abused the IAP system and 2) his parents were inept. Big deal. But then the whole world cries devil and now Apple has to inform people whether an app has IAP, as if they're physically dangerous, and people like you won't go near anything labeled IAP because the Church of the Media tells you it's bad. No, ignorance is dangerous; IAP are brilliant.
bpcookson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:31 AM   #18
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcite View Post
Who cares how old it is, its free.
Being three years old and well hyped most folks likely have it.

And the company doesn't need the press of being 'app of the week' again
Old Aug 30, 2013, 01:42 PM   #19
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I think the IAP is just a link to buy CTR: Experiments. I don't recall there being any "in game" purchasing.
Actually, that would not be IAP. In game, you can buy the superpower cheats. But, these are completely unnecessary to the game.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcookson View Post
Seriously? I can't believe the backlash on in-app purchases. I think it's a fantastic thing, and terribly convenient. I won't argue that some developers don't use IAP in a slimy way, but those practices are worth shunning and will naturally be suppressed if people just stop feeding the trolls.
The problem is these different usages of IAP are not spelled out. You have to figure it out for yourself, and that can be difficult with only user reviews to explain.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:10 PM   #20
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a

I will get this game
It carries no cost to me
Thank you, MacRumors
Old Aug 31, 2013, 01:41 AM   #21
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
YAY for free HD version. HATE when the iPad version costs extra.
the iPad version is basically just a blown up iPhone version. If they cost the same I don't mind paying once more but it's about 3 times as expensive so I passed on the HD version and only bought the iPhone version.
rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 6+/128/sg, 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion