Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
This tool allows you to use a friends system as a cloud backup instead of paying for cloud space.
http://www.buddybackup.com

Does anyone know of a multi-platform software that does this as my friends have Windows PCs.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I believe the CrashPlan software allows you to do that without a fee. You only need to pay for CrashPlan service if you want to use their storage for your backups.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Thanks Bear that looks great.

Even their paid services look excellent value for money. Makes me a little suspicious offering so much for so little cash (although excellent if they are reliable). The client list on their site is very impressive but I'm not sure how I would check whether the list is accurate (i.e not a lie). I might just email one or two of the companies and ask them.

Has anyone used crashplan ? How did you find their service?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Has anyone used crashplan ? How did you find their service?

I have been using them for online backup for over two years now and like it a lot. I prepaid for the four year plan to get a better rate and don't regret it at all.

I you do a forum search for Crashplan you will find a lot of forum members here use the service.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Just backing up to the crashplan trial. All seems ok so far although it would be nice to get an upload speed faster than 4Mb/s (megabits), my connection allows for 20-25Mb/s up .

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just backing up to the crashplan trial. All seems ok so far although it would be nice to get an upload speed faster than 4Mb/s (megabits), my connection allows for 20-25Mb/s up .

You might try out the tips here. Try increasing the upload speed when the machine is in use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.