Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:29 PM   #1
mrjosh
macrumors member

Use time machine or move files

Hi all,

My question is this. Is Time Machine the best way to access/move files and itunes library from my iMac to a new machine? I guess my other option would be to move everything to an external drive and then move to new machine?

I plan on purchasing a rMBP or a new Air after Mavericks (and the rMBP) is released. My early 2009 iMac is long in the tooth.

In order to prepare we deleting files, photos, etc. that are no longer needed. I am really looking forward to a 'fresh start' and a clean install of everything.

I am *not* worried about exisiting settings - in fact, settings will probably be different on the new machine (new machine will only have one user/apple ID instead of 2).

With the exception of the iDrive backup application (for off-site backup), I believe everything else will be available to re-download from App store.

Hopefully after getting the new machine, I can sell my iMac.

Edit: Well, migration assistant may be the way to go, although over wifi, it may take a while: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1581528

Last edited by mrjosh; Aug 29, 2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: possible answer
mrjosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

As you've seen, you can use Migration Assistant. In fact, when you first switch on your new Mac, it will prompt you to restore data from another source.

You can use a TM backup, or the old Mac directly.

Migration Assistant allows you to specify what components you want to restore.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:31 PM   #3
mrjosh
macrumors member

Thanks

benwiggy - Thanks for the reply. Looks like I just need to finish housekeeping and use migration assistant.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Bruno09
macrumors 65816

Another suggestion :

The safest and quietest way, IMHO : clone your iMac to an external hard drive.

You say : "I am really looking forward to a 'fresh start' and a clean install of everything."

So, get your brand new rMBP running 10.9, install all that will from the App Store, then select the data you want to transfer from the clone to the new Mac.
Bruno09 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:11 PM   #5
mrjosh
macrumors member

Bruno09 - Thanks for the suggestion. One question - what are the upsides to this over migration assistant? Sorry if this is a very basic question, I just don't know what the pro's/con's of each are.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:26 AM   #6
Bruno09
macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, I do have very poor English and won't be able to explain what are the upsides to this over MA.

When you have a clone of your old Mac you can transfer the data you want, when you want, even if your old Mac is already sold and has gone.

Also you do not need any software or assistant : just drag and drop from the clone to the new Mac.

Say I just prefer this way over MA when I want to do a "clean" install.

Last edited by Bruno09; Aug 30, 2013 at 04:53 AM.
Bruno09 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

[[ My question is this. Is Time Machine the best way to access/move files and itunes library from my iMac to a new machine? I guess my other option would be to move everything to an external drive and then move to new machine? ]]

Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a clone of either your entire drive, or you can use CCC to "dupe" selected folders (such as your home folder).

The end result will be that your files will be on the external drive, in POFF (plain old finder format). They can then be copied, moved or migrated wherever you wish. You can pick and choose in the finder what you wish to keep, and what you wish to delete.

I do NOT recommend Time Machine. You won't be able to access your files via the finder if you use it. Use CCC or SD, and you CAN.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:01 PM   #8
mrjosh
macrumors member

Bruno09 and Fishrrman - thanks. This is the info I was looking for!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help