Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:37 PM   #1
agkm800
macrumors 6502a

What is the best non-bitter (or least bitter) bottled/canned beer?

I normally like sweet drinks. But, I'd like to try a really good beer that is not bitter.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:42 PM   #2
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Bitter is usually associated to your Ales, Pale Ales, Indian Pale Ales. Can you tell us what beers you have tried that you thought were bitter and we can work from there!

IBU = International Bitter Unit. The higher the number the more bitter.

Last edited by rhett7660; Aug 29, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
rhett7660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:49 PM   #3
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Try an IPA.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:49 PM   #4
4JNA
macrumors 68000

a brown honey beer is what popped into my head after reading the OP.

might look for a brown honey there are several that come to mind. Dundee makes a decent one, Leinenkugel has a nice honey weiss, Sam Adams makes one but it might be a seasonal brew (can't recall). all have a sweeter taste due to the honey used in the brew process. it's fun searching and trying if nothing else! best of luck.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:23 PM   #5
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

I hate bitter beers as well. Actually I don't care for the taste of beer. These are some that are not as bad.

Some I can think of.
- Chimay Grand Reserve
- Allagash Four Ale
- Unibroue Terrible
- Hefeweizen
- St Bernardus Abt 12
- Hoegaarden White Beer
- Dubel Golden Ale
- Wexford

Careful some of these are quite strong.

In general the Belgian Beers are safe and German. Weizen beers. A lot of the large bottled Ales labeled as triple or quad brewed. There is also a type of dark beer that is usually a little sweet. I want to say stout but can't recall.

It's been a while since I bought beer. On the rare occasion I have something to drink it's usually Trader Joe's White Zinfandel. It's stronger, tastes better, leaves less of a hangover than beer and goes with so many meals. Give it a try some people just don't like beer. I don't like many wines or the vast majority of alcohol either.

I have found a handful that are good.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:26 AM   #6
shinji
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by agkm800 View Post
I normally like sweet drinks. But, I'd like to try a really good beer that is not bitter.
Sam Adams Oktoberfest.
shinji is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 02:54 AM   #7
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Some of the wonderful beers brewed by the Scottish company Innis & Gunn are not too bitter, and one or two on their range might be said to have a slight sweet taste to them.

Likewise, there is a terrific stout brewed by the Belgian company Carolus, which is heavy, malty and quite sweet. Wonderful drinking on a cold winter's night.

Be warned, though. As an earlier poster - velocityg4 - has already point out, some of these are also very, very strong. (As in 6.6% all the way up to almost 9%). That means you will probably have one, at most two, beers, at a sitting.....these are beers to be sipped, slowly and savoured, beers for slow, relaxed drinking.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:36 AM   #8
jeremy h
macrumors 6502

There's quite a few 'Summer beers' out there. Try and find some of those. Some are much sweeter than IPAs or bitters. Avoid anything described as 'hoppy' is often quite bitter.

If you can get it where you are (the States?) there's a UK bottled one by Badgers called 'Golden Glory'. It actually has a hint of peach in it. Is uspect that one would be perfect.

It's also not too lethal - 4.5% I find anything over 5% has to be consumed with Nurofen chasers if I'm going to function the next day.
jeremy h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 05:32 AM   #9
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy h View Post
There's quite a few 'Summer beers' out there. Try and find some of those. Some are much sweeter than IPAs or bitters. Avoid anything described as 'hoppy' is often quite bitter.

If you can get it where you are (the States?) there's a UK bottled one by Badgers called 'Golden Glory'. It actually has a hint of peach in it. Is uspect that one would be perfect.

It's also not too lethal - 4.5% I find anything over 5% has to be consumed with Nurofen chasers if I'm going to function the next day.
My solution is to drink a half litre of bottled water per beer or glass of wine. Always. And it works. Granted, it may look a bit stupid for the first drink (or two) but your body (and your head) thank you the following day. Staying hydrated is the trick to not needing Nurofen.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 05:46 AM   #10
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Try a Killians Red with a healthy squeeze of navel orange and a slice (without the peel).
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:10 AM   #11
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:

That is pretty mild for me. 8%-14% are usually the norm for me. Love me the taste of beer. Actually had a 18% beer once and it was on tap. Man was it good!!!!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:20 AM   #12
jeremy h
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
That is pretty mild for me. 8%-14%
Blimey! You sure they're not actually selling you sherry..? I'd defiantly be a 'two pot screamer' on a session with that sort of stuff...
jeremy h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:33 AM   #13
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Blimey! You sure they're not actually selling you sherry..? I'd defiantly be a 'two pot screamer' on a session with that sort of stuff...
LOL.. no granted I do have the 5%, but I really like Belgium beer and a lot of the craft beers are high up there.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion