Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Again Blocks Older Versions of Java Over Vulnerability

Apple has again remotely blocked some versions of Oracle's Java browser plugin because of vulnerabilities according to 9to5Mac.

The blockage, which was announced internally to AppleCare and Apple Retail employees, is because of an "unspecified vulnerability" and Apple has blocked Java 6 versions below update 51, and Java 7 versions below update 25.

At the beginning of this year, Apple blocked Java plug-ins in Safari several times because of unfixed vulnerabilities. Oracle has typically updated Java fairly quickly to remedy the vulnerabilities.

Users are strongly advised to ensure they have the latest versions of Java.

Article Link: Apple Again Blocks Older Versions of Java Over Vulnerability
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Eddy Munn
macrumors 6502

Oracle without Mac OSX?
Points finger down..*
Eddy Munn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:04 PM   #3
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Larry, get your act together…..instead of worrying about Apple's future.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1622162
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Nermal

Since the article doesn't mention it... update 25 is the current version so unlike one of Apple's earlier blocks, this one already has a fix available.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Bitmin1991
macrumors member

VirtualBox + Ubuntu = Free Java environment.
Bitmin1991 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:52 PM   #6
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Looks like I've all ready had update 25 for months so no need to update again at this point.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 01:04 AM   #7
MvdM
macrumors regular

HOW does Apple block something that is already on your computer?
MvdM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 01:05 AM   #8
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitmin1991 View Post
VirtualBox + Ubuntu = Free Java environment.
What do you mean? I have the Java 7 RE installed, that's the same thing right?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 02:19 AM   #9
H2SO4
macrumors 6502a

I find it odd how they've reacted to this so fast but have dragged their heels on the core text exploit that they've known about for ages.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:53 AM   #10
Bitmin1991
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
What do you mean? I have the Java 7 RE installed, that's the same thing right?
Nope. If you install Ubuntu via VirtualBox then install Java onto that virtual machine, then that Java instsll doesn't touch OS X. If anything happens then all you need to do is delete that virtual machine and start anew.
Bitmin1991 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:16 AM   #11
baryon
macrumors 68030

I have the latest version of Java yet it hasn't worked for about 4 months. Websites just say I don't have Java installed, when in fact I do. It's enabled in Safari and all. Anyone have an idea of what's going on?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:51 AM   #12
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MvdM View Post
HOW does Apple block something that is already on your computer?
Via Xprotect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xprotect

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
I have the latest version of Java yet it hasn't worked for about 4 months. Websites just say I don't have Java installed, when in fact I do. It's enabled in Safari and all. Anyone have an idea of what's going on?
http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...e-java-applets

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:58 AM   #13
subsonix
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Nope. If you install Ubuntu via VirtualBox then install Java onto that virtual machine, then that Java instsll doesn't touch OS X. If anything happens then all you need to do is delete that virtual machine and start anew.
The problem here is the browser plugin though, an applet can be run by any website. Using the Java environment on your local machine, runs local code.
subsonix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:46 AM   #14
reckless2k2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
I think the question is whether it requires an update to run or if this is something Apple silently pushes down like how it updates the panel on an Apple TV with new icons.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

*YAWN* Cue the phone call from my dad again when the teachers freak out over it this morning/afternoon.

I haven't had the need to use Java in ages.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:04 AM   #16
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless2k2 View Post
I think the question is whether it requires an update to run or if this is something Apple silently pushes down like how it updates the panel on an Apple TV with new icons.
It is done in the background with an update to the below XProtect plist file.

Code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.plist
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:14 AM   #17
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I see. Well, I'd like to run a minecraft server on my mac, so i'll leave it in os x then.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:26 AM   #18
scbn
macrumors regular

Java has become a pain... like all the Adobe products now, you have to update almost every week (sometimes more than once a week).
scbn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:23 AM   #19
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbn View Post
Java has become a pain... like all the Adobe products now, you have to update almost every week (sometimes more than once a week).
Yup, like the last update for Java was just yesterday...over 2 months ago (and the last Adobe Reader update was months ago).
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:10 PM   #20
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

The fact about.....

all the vulnerabilities, malware and things like this shows to me some things:

1-Apple hardware and software comes back to interest
2- No more about 100% truth on the old "Apple computers dont get viruses or not are being attacked"
3-The need for safe computer practices, not only on bussiness, enterprise or goverment enviroments, but also in family and personal venues.....

Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:26 AM   #21
iDuel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsan View Post
all the vulnerabilities, malware and things like this shows to me some things:

1-Apple hardware and software comes back to interest
2- No more about 100% truth on the old "Apple computers dont get viruses or not are being attacked"
3-The need for safe computer practices, not only on bussiness, enterprise or goverment enviroments, but also in family and personal venues.....

Correct me if I am wrong, but this Java vulnerability has nothing to do with the OS, as this probably exists on Windows too. It's not a case of Apple software, as Apple doesn't develop Java, they cannot make sure that it is 100% solid.

Apple could make a solid OS, and someone could still install a version of Adobe Flash, Java, Silverlight, etc. that has a known vulnerability and take advantage of the permissions it obtains.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't take responsibility for our computer's security, it's just that you are barking up the wrong tree in this case.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 01:08 PM   #22
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Barking?....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDuel View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but this Java vulnerability has nothing to do with the OS, as this probably exists on Windows too. It's not a case of Apple software, as Apple doesn't develop Java, they cannot make sure that it is 100% solid.

Apple could make a solid OS, and someone could still install a version of Adobe Flash, Java, Silverlight, etc. that has a known vulnerability and take advantage of the permissions it obtains.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't take responsibility for our computer's security, it's just that you are barking up the wrong tree in this case.
I am not a dog, pal......And the thing is, the exploit become famous in Mac OS. No doubt by the delayed update of Java by the Apple people....
Old Sep 1, 2013, 03:16 PM   #23
iDuel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I am not a dog, pal......And the thing is, the exploit become famous in Mac OS. No doubt by the delayed update of Java by the Apple people....
I'm sorry if you were offended by a figure of speech, but that isn't the point. By your post, it seemed that you were blaming Apple for the vulnerability, yet Apple is not Oracle, so there wasn't a single thing Apple could have done to prevent this.

Apple did what they could do in this case by blocking the older, more vulnerable versions.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 09:13 AM   #24
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDuel View Post
I'm sorry if you were offended by a figure of speech, but that isn't the point. By your post, it seemed that you were blaming Apple for the vulnerability, yet Apple is not Oracle, so there wasn't a single thing Apple could have done to prevent this.

Apple did what they could do in this case by blocking the older, more vulnerable versions.
Apple lags behind Oracle official releases....That is a fact and a decision by Apple....No figure of speech or fanboyness....

Old Sep 2, 2013, 09:47 AM   #25
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Apple lags behind Oracle official releases.
That wasn't the case for the most recent Java updates. Presumably Apple has figured out that it's a big problem for them to be so late with the patch releases.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion