Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:15 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Hawaiian Airlines to Offer iPad Minis as In-Flight Entertainment

Hawaiian Airlines is planning to augment its in-flight Entertainment systems with 1,500 iPad minis. Beginning in September, the airline will supply passengers with Apple's tablets on all of its Boeing 767-300 aircraft that fly 14 routes between Hawaii, the U.S. Mainland, Asia, and South Pacific.

The iPad minis, supplied by Bluebox Avionics, will come equipped with 100 hours of movies and TV shows, along with various iPad games. While the iPad minis are complimentary in Business Class, they can also be rented by economy passengers for $15 ahead of flights (or $17 in-flight).

Quote:
"Hawaiian Airlines' signature on-board hospitality is already very popular with travelers, but we wanted to go even further to ensure our customers' travel experience is more enjoyable," said Blaine Miyasato, Hawaiian Airlines vice president of product development.
Hawaiian Airlines plans to begin offering the iPad minis beginning on September 1, and is the first airline to offer iPad minis as in-flight entertainment. Australian airline Qantas began offering its passengers access to iPads earlier this year.

Article Link: Hawaiian Airlines to Offer iPad Minis as In-Flight Entertainment
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:21 PM   #2
DBZmusicboy01
macrumors 6502

But..... The new ipad minis are coming out ? Why can't they wait for retina ?
DBZmusicboy01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Smart idea. Great business for Apple too. That's an expensive purchase...
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:33 PM   #4
japanime
macrumors 65816

Hawaiian is one of the last great US airlines. Service like it used to be. And it looks like it's about to get even better.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:40 PM   #5
gooberwilson
macrumors regular

Love this airline!
gooberwilson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68010

I flew Hawaiian to Oahu back in April. The pilot braked in the middle of the runway during takeoff because one of the engines wasn't taking in air. Then the plane behind us almost hit us while taking off. Then we unboarded and sat at LAX for 6 hours before they told us the plane would be grounded until next morning. They ended up putting everyone in a crappy airport hotel to wait until 4 am. Crappiest beginning I've ever had to a vacation.

I'd rather fly Alaska. They give you free mai tais when you land.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Djtrackie
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
I flew Hawaiian to Oahu back in April. The pilot braked in the middle of the runway during takeoff because one of the engines wasn't taking in air. Then the plane behind us almost hit us while taking off. Then we unboarded and sat at LAX for 6 hours before they told us the plane would be grounded until next morning. They ended up putting everyone in a crappy airport hotel to wait until 4 am. Crappiest beginning I've ever had to a vacation.

i rather get delayed a day than to have a plane fall from the sky due to engine failure. I say that's a good move, realizing that there is a problem with the plane and landing it. Might have saved your life.
Djtrackie is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:59 PM   #8
vpro
macrumors 6502a

Give the people a distraction...

Give them distraction from poor service, pop a shiny red crispy fruit brand gadget on their laps and in their palms and away you go, getting away with crap service anywhere. But 10, 000 of these today and make your business seem more friendly. Make sure you use a lot of hand sanitizers cow-pokers. Enjoy your over priced vacation!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:08 PM   #9
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZmusicboy01 View Post
Because they got a clear-out deal…..?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:13 PM   #10
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpro View Post
Give them distraction from poor service, pop a shiny red crispy fruit brand gadget on their laps and in their palms and away you go, getting away with crap service anywhere. But 10, 000 of these today and make your business seem more friendly. Make sure you use a lot of hand sanitizers cow-pokers. Enjoy your over priced vacation!
Are you just desperate trying to say something negative about any Apple customer, or do you have a specific complaint about Hawaiian Airlines? Any personal experience with their service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
Hawaiian is one of the last great US airlines. Service like it used to be. And it looks like it's about to get even better.
I take it then that the other poster that I quoted doesn't have a clue what they are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Let's say 150 iPads on an airplane. Total weight about 100 pound. You lose 150 other displays, you lose the equipment that can stream from a central hard drive to 150 displays and all the related cabling. The cabling will be particularly awful in an airplane. I'd think they get great savings in weight and in cost.

Last edited by gnasher729; Aug 29, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
gnasher729 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djtrackie View Post
i rather get delayed a day than to have a plane fall from the sky due to engine failure. I say that's a good move, realizing that there is a problem with the plane and landing it. Might have saved your life.
I'm sure it did save my life. I got nothing bad to say about the pilot

But maintenance crews not catching the engine failure before he was flooring it on the runway was bad. That 6 hr dead time where they weren't telling us what was going on was bad. Same with refusing to reimburse anyone for booked condos, prepaid excursions, etc
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:34 PM   #12
pk7
macrumors 6502

I'm an aviation aficionado. I just had to respond to these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post

If the plane behind you almost hit you then that's a very serious offense and one that would not have gone unnoticed by the FAA, NTSB, and local air traffic control. If engine failure occurred during takeoff, all traffic would be halted until your plane was completely clear of the runway, at which time the plane behind you would then proceed to takeoff provided the runway is clear of debris. Despite all that, if the plane behind you did nearly hit you, I'd be more than interested to find the reports on this. Lots of engine failures are also undetectable on the ground: they can be from anything to old parts, to disrupted airflow because of rain, hail, etc., or a number of things that can't be foreseen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djtrackie View Post
Engine failure in flight doesn't guarantee a plane will fall out of the sky unless the engine violently exploded and even then it could still keep flying. This has happened but it is rare (a recent incident being that Qantas A380 a few years ago where the pilot still managed to land safely). The everyday compressor stall won't bring a plane down. Most aircraft, including quad-jets, can fly on 1 engine. Typically engine failure means the pilot will quickly land at a nearby airport at which point the flight will get delayed a day anyway, like you stated.

To add something to the article: I'd guess they didn't wait for the iPad Mini 2 because they've probably already been planning around the current iPad mini for months and months, and a new release is too unimportant for them to disrupt their service schedule.

Last edited by pk7; Sep 9, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
pk7 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:47 PM   #13
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Of course, 1500 is a small purchase compared to larger airlines, and the size factor is small for first class as well.

For example, United Airlines bought 11,000 iPads for its pilots.

American Airlines bought 10,000 iPads for its pilots, and 6,000 Galaxy Tab 10.1s for its mechanics and first class passengers. AA also bought 17,000 8" Galaxy Notes for its flight attendants to keep in their aprons & pockets. That's 33,000 tablets in all.

Delta Airlines... well, they're the strangest story of all. They got hit with a $750,000 fine for not treating bumped passengers well, but negotiated a deal where over half of that fine would be used to buy tablets for their own gate agents, so they could keep better track and be more helpful. Nice punishment!
kdarling is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:03 PM   #14
illegalprelude
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to illegalprelude Send a message via MSN to illegalprelude Send a message via Yahoo to illegalprelude
Another reason why flying Hawaiian is the best. Always have such a great time on their flights and now it's easier for those who want some iPad love during their flight.
illegalprelude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:25 PM   #15
jicon
macrumors regular

I flew Air Canada Rouge from Athens to Toronto a few weeks ago... Older 767, with no in flight entertainment system in the seats, and an 11 hour flight.

The alternative was to use the Air Canada App (Which you better have downloaded and installed before stepping on the aircraft), then you can watch/listen to all the stuff they have on you iOS or Android device. They technically said it could work thru browser, but wasn't having any luck on the iOS7 Safari, running in to DRM issues.

You could rent a full size iPad.. $10 CAD.

Oh, and I'll point out... 11 hours, and no way to charge anything from the seats. Looks like they'll be bumping up the service to $5 now.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/ro...rtainment.html
jicon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:09 PM   #16
iTiki
macrumors 6502

Add wifi. I fly back and forth between the west coast and Maui often. I fly both Alaskan and Hawaiian. Wifi is what's missing. I would choose one carrier over the other if one offered wifi.
iTiki is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:12 PM   #17
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

This is way better than the PTVs on American 777(-200)s. These PTVs are not even on demand, and the screens are all CRTs.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:23 PM   #18
flywithsean
macrumors newbie

No internet is not the airlines fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTiki View Post
Add wifi. I fly back and forth between the west coast and Maui often. I fly both Alaskan and Hawaiian. Wifi is what's missing. I would choose one carrier over the other if one offered wifi.
Unfortunately the best option for internet is using a ground based system. This is what most all airlines use in the continental US. However when you go outside of this area the only option is satelitte internet which is basically about the speed of double dial up for a plane of almost 300 people. It just isnt possible to get enough bandwidth out over the ocean.
flywithsean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:27 PM   #19
NorCalLights
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk7 View Post
If the plane behind you almost hit you then that's a very serious offense and one that would not have gone unnoticed by the FAA, NTSB, and local air traffic control.
So true. I have a feeling what actually happened was Liquorpuki's plane taxied to a turnout at the end of the runway, and the next plane was cleared for takeoff. I've had this happen twice on flights I've been on, and both times the noise from the next plane taking off was extremely loud. I can see how it might sound like a much closer call than it actually was.

I fly about 75,000 miles per year, and let me tell you it's a drag when things don't go as planned. But I promise that the folks at the airline are trying their best to get your plane out on time. Sometimes it doesn't work out.
NorCalLights is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:45 PM   #20
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Man, I have to go to Australia with my wife and two kids (5 and 7) - I could do with a couple of minis for them to use on the plane!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:36 PM   #21
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet these minis are thousands (each) less than the in-flight systems embedded in seat backs on other airlines and less expensive to maintain. But the gamble is whether people will need to rent them b/c they have their own. However $15 is a decent price being loaded up with movies. I wonder if it also includes internet too.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:49 AM   #22
cancelus
macrumors newbie

But.... Quantas has been using full size iPad's for a long time now. Probably since early 2012. Everybody has one in their seat pocket and you can use it whenever. Although- whenever the pilot speaks, they do pause whatever you are doing. They have an assortment of games, apps, videos and music pre-loaded onto them. They don't have full internet access, but there is some recent readable news, and a stock ticker. They even have these nice cases that you can use to attach them to the seat in front of you, similar to where a built in system would be.

One definite plus- the audio doesn't suck, like most on air entertainment systems.
Negative- they are based in Australia. Jonnysods, this will be good for you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quantas.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	430609  
cancelus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 06:41 AM   #23
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Because the airline wants to save a bit of money and doesn't necessarily need to provide the latest model iPads to its customers? Since the iPad Mini is imminent, I bet you that Apple gave Hawaiian Airlines a sweet discount for purchasing hundreds of the last-years-model iPad Mini. In other words... Apple is trying to get rid of remaining inventory. And what better way to do that than to sell hundreds at a time to large corporate clients like a national airline?
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:25 AM   #24
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

This is going to make that seat back video system seem like total garbage. It would be hard going back.

I've always had a hard time hearing well on aircraft with my iPad. I need the headphones on the highest volume to drown out cabin noise. I guess I'll have to get a good pair of cans or in-ear sealing ones. The Apple earbuds just don't seem to cut it on airplanes for me.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:24 AM   #25
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why do they need to be retina? The screens on the back of the headrests they would replace do not have retina.

Like most products purchased to be loaned and hired, they will be the cheapest and lowest spec devices to minimise damage and loss liability.

It is not likely they are going to give a 128GB, retina and cellular capable iPad mini to some kid or bozo to drool over and spill their drink over....

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion