Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oquabili

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
I have the latest beta of iOS7 but without a UDID. For some reason, my iPod suddenly crashed and now won't turn on. I tried charging it, but it just keeps getting really hot. If I take it to the Genius Bar, what will they do?

(I had a similar problem earlier while I was on 6.1.3, and they just gave me a new iPod declaring that it was a hardware issue)

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I have the latest beta of iOS7 but without a UDID. For some reason, my iPod suddenly crashed and now won't turn on. I tried charging it, but it just keeps getting really hot. If I take it to the Genius Bar, what will they do?

(I had a similar problem earlier while I was on 6.1.3, and they just gave me a new iPod declaring that it was a hardware issue)

Definitely depends on who you get. I went in twice with separate experiences. One made me get rid of iOS 7 before they could do anything and the other issues a replacement no problem.

oquabili

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
So they won't say anything about the fact that I have iOS7 installed illegally? lol

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
can't seem to get it into DFU mode, my computer won't even recognize it.
I guess I'll just take my chances :eek:

are you sure you're doing it right? Hold both the lock and home buttons for about 10 seconds and then let go of the lock button and continue holding home till your computer recognizes it.

Apple will probably tell you the beta ruined your device and they won't give you a new one, especially if you don't have your UDID registered / have a developer account.

oquabili

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
are you sure you're doing it right? Hold both the lock and home buttons for about 10 seconds and then let go of the lock button and continue holding home till your computer recognizes it.

Apple will probably tell you the beta ruined your device and they won't give you a new one, especially if you don't have your UDID registered / have a developer account.

Awww, yeah I did it right, my computer doesn't even recognize it. I called an apple support line and they said it's definitely a hardware issue but the genius bar may take extra money cause it's ios 7

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Whatever, but Apple does tell you not to use betas on your main device so they have the right to deny you service.

Apple have polices and procedures in place for alot of things. If you walk into the Apple Store with the home button not working with iOS 7 installed they will replace/repair it.

Hardware issue is covered, software support for Beta is not.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As mentioned in a number of threads about this very topic already, the only real conclusion is that your mileage will vary: there's the official Apple policy and then there's what human employees can and will or won't sometimes do (depending on how they feel, how else things are done in that particular store, etc., etc., etc.).

So, you can only try if you want to and see how it works out for you (pretty much no matter what story anyone might share about their experience, what they have heard, what they know, or what they think they know).

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Apple have polices and procedures in place for alot of things. If you walk into the Apple Store with the home button not working with iOS 7 installed they will replace/repair it.

Hardware issue is covered, software support for Beta is not.

But it's possible what the OP is experiencing is caused by the beta. I've seen numerous threads about how the iOS 7 beta has caused people's devices to become unresponsive and heat up during charging and use. It's perfectly plausible for the software to mess with the device and cause it malfunction.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Software cannot ruin hardware.

It can, however, make hardware useless without access to reprogramming hardware...

Quite a few computing devices have had software/firmware update issues that have turned them into un-reprogrammable bricks.

Intel's early SSD's had an issue where if a firmware update failed - it became useless. Absolutely zero way to recover "in the field" because it disabled the SATA interface in the process. Thereby making communication with standard hardware impossible. The fix required sending it back to Intel, who physically replaced the firmware chip with a functioning one.

I worked for a company that made networking hardware. One of the "diagnostic" options erased the firmware. Completely. Made it useless unless sent back to the manufacturer, who had to plug it in to a firmware flashing device via un-pinned jumpers on the motherboard.

Certain models of laptop over the years have made it possible, through hacking the firmware (entirely from within a booted OS,) to disable the cooling fan. Which, if you did that while using the CPU at 100%, would cause the system to overheat sufficiently to physically damage the motherboard.

oquabili

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
Well regardless of what the issue really is, I'm taking it in soon, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for the help

oquabili

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
I don't know why I even worried. They couldn't turn on the iPod themselves so they had no idea it was iOS 7. They just gave me a new iPod :D

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So they won't say anything about the fact that I have iOS7 installed illegally? lol

They have no way of checking. However devices with iOS 7 aren't always eligible for support in store while it is pre public. Depends on if the issue can only be hardware. If it could be software they are not supposed to replace it. So like if it turns on in recovery mode but won't restore you are generally SOL. Some stores don't care and will swap it, but they aren't supposed to so your mileage will vary

----------

Awww, yeah I did it right, my computer doesn't even recognize it. I called an apple support line and they said it's definitely a hardware issue but the genius bar may take extra money cause it's ios 7

Nope no extra money. Just service denied. They will tell you to log into your developer account and contact developer support. And when you look confused they will know its 'tampered'

But they don't replace for more money etc.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I don't know why I even worried. They couldn't turn on the iPod themselves so they had no idea it was iOS 7. They just gave me a new iPod :D

yeah, after one of your posts I was going to suggest to take it in, just tell them it won't turn on, nothing else, let them ask the questions.

I've had amazing service with Apple store, out here in rural land, it's over an hour away, but, it varied when I lived close to 6 stores.

----------

Software cannot ruin hardware.
That's not true.
Definitely not true...iOS 4 overheated the wifi in my iPhone 3G and blew it out, wifi quit working...Apple store gave me a replacement iPhone 3G, even though it was no longer under warranty. (This was a few years ago.)

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Whatever, but Apple does tell you not to use betas on your main device so they have the right to deny you service.

No they do not.

The warranty does not state that the use of pre-release software is forbidden.

That's the only place where such a restriction could ever be placed.

Ignoring that legal obstacle for a second, the iOS Developer Agreement does not even state that the warranty is invalid or restricted for hardware running pre-release software.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No they do not.

That's the only place where such a restriction could ever be placed.

Ignoring that legal obstacle for a second, the iOS Developer Agreement does not even state that the warranty is invalid or restricted for hardware running pre-release software.
There are restrictions in the warranty as far as it not applying to devices that have their functionality modified without permission of Apple or by operating the product outside of Apple's guidelines, and at least for non-developers an argument can be made to say that it can all fall under one of those conditions.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
No they do not.

No but it does state that unauthorized modification of the software is grounds to deny service (if you can get it back to the correct software and show the issue that you jacked the software in the past becomes moot).

And if you are not a developer loading iOS 7 is an unauthorized modification of software.

If you are a developer you have access to developer support and they will sort out situations where a hardware replacement is needed directly.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
If you are a developer you have access to developer support and they will sort out situations where a hardware replacement is needed directly.

I am a developer myself but I couldn't find anything such as "developer support" that will replace my hardware if it breaks. If my iPhone that I use for development breaks, I have to take it to a store like everyone else. Developer support only covers code-related issues that we may encounter when developing software.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
There are restrictions in the warranty as far as it not applying to devices that have their functionality modified without permission of Apple or by operating the product outside of Apple's guidelines, and at least for non-developers an argument can be made to say that it can all fall under one of those conditions.

No but it does state that unauthorized modification of the software is grounds to deny service (if you can get it back to the correct software and show the issue that you jacked the software in the past becomes moot).

And if you are not a developer loading iOS 7 is an unauthorized modification of software.

That's what I was getting at, thanks. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.