Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:11 PM   #1
cjbarker5
macrumors newbie

Chrome on Os X

I will be buying a macbook pro when they get around to releasing a new one and would like to know if the chrome browser supports multi touch as well as safari? I use chrome on all of my devices now but if them gestures aren't available I would go to safari and start migrating my overall usage now for a smooth transition.
cjbarker5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:50 PM   #2
MathBunny123
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbarker5 View Post
I will be buying a macbook pro when they get around to releasing a new one and would like to know if the chrome browser supports multi touch as well as safari? I use chrome on all of my devices now but if them gestures aren't available I would go to safari and start migrating my overall usage now for a smooth transition.
All of the multitouch transitions work fine for me. My own con is in my opinion the font isn't as clear as Safari...or maybe it's just my vision.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:01 AM   #3
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbarker5 View Post
Chrome used the same engine, WebKit, as Safari for a while, until the Blink fork - but even then Chrome and Safari are still similar in terms of touch support, because of that shared heritage.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:52 AM   #4
cjbarker5
macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot
cjbarker5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:48 AM   #5
NMF
macrumors 6502a

Multi touch for back and forward works just fine (though the animation isn't as nice), but there's no support for pinch-to-zoom. Kind of a deal-breaker for me. No native support for something similar to the "Reader" feature as well. The only thing that's currently better about Chrome is that it gives each tab its own system process, so if one tab crashes it doesn't kill the whole browser like with Safari. When OS X Mavericks is released Safari is going to be one process per tab too, so at that point it will unquestionably be the superior browser on Mac.

You might as well just start transitioning to Safari now. That's what I'm doing. Mavericks is right around the corner!
Old Aug 31, 2013, 01:17 PM   #6
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Multi touch for back and forward works just fine (though the animation isn't as nice), but there's no support for pinch-to-zoom. Kind of a deal-breaker for me. No native support for something similar to the "Reader" feature as well. The only thing that's currently better about Chrome is that it gives each tab its own system process, so if one tab crashes it doesn't kill the whole browser like with Safari. When OS X Mavericks is released Safari is going to be one process per tab too, so at that point it will unquestionably be the superior browser on Mac.

You might as well just start transitioning to Safari now. That's what I'm doing. Mavericks is right around the corner!
I'm thinking about doing that too... but the problem is that I use non-OSX operating systems, where Safari isn't available...
Old Aug 31, 2013, 02:24 PM   #7
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
When OS X Mavericks is released Safari is going to be one process per tab too, so at that point it will unquestionably be the superior browser on Mac.
Better's always highly subjective. One process per tab isn't the only determining criterion for everyone when comparing browsers.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:44 PM   #8
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

I really liked Chrome until a few weeks ago, when loading pages started to hang. The problem became so chronic that I switched back to Safari. One of my colleagues is experiencing the same problem. I wonder if there was an update that's causing problems.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 02:09 PM   #9
millk18
macrumors member

Quote:

- - - -
I like that with my 27 inch screen I don't have to tap or pinch when I open a website with Chrome. It "remembers". When I open a website with Safari (or Firefox, for that matter) I have to manipulate the screen. Needlessly annoying.
millk18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store