Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodbine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
I have a new MacMini and I bought a Lian Li 503 box to hold five drives. I use the drives for storing the video files I work with. The box runs USB3.

The box is a very basic DAS, with five trays. But it can be very annoying with respect to sleep. Basically, the drives will go to sleep without properly ejecting themselves. Another annoying feature, is if I am uploading a large video file to FTP and it's from a drive in the box, the drives will not stay spinning and I eventually lose my upload.

The only solutions that really only sort of work, are Caffeine to keep the MM awake and Jettison to eject discs on sleep.

Anyways, I am getting very fed up with this unit (maybe it works better on Windows...) so I appreciate any advice on a replacement DAS that can take five drives or maybe four, at a squeeze. But it must be reliable with sleep.

It could be Firewire 800, since FW seems much more reliable, just not so fast.

spartus4

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
I can confirm that this problem will be fixed in 10.9 Mavericks. The drivers are the problem but seem to be fixed in 10.9.

I was having the same issue and once I installed the preview of Mavericks the problem was solved. So wait a little bit and get Mavericks when it is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.