Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:01 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mophie Launches Juice Pack Helium Spectrum Collection for iPhone 5

Mophie yesterday announced the launch of its Juice Pack Helium Spectrum Collection, bringing a host of new color choices including purple, blue, pink, green and red to its line of popular iPhone 5 battery cases. The new colors contain the same 1500mAh battery found in the original silver and black configurations of the case, which gives the iPhone 5 80% more battery life with full protection on both sides for the device.
Quote:
Ultra-thin, 1500mAh protective battery case made for iPhone 5. Feel the difference in the palm of your hand; 13% thinner than any of our previous iPhone juice packs. It's so thin, you won't believe there's a battery inside.
The Mophie Juice Pack Helium Spectrum Collection is currently shipping and can be bought through Mophie's online store. Select colors are also available through Apple's online store.

Article Link: Mophie Launches Juice Pack Helium Spectrum Collection for iPhone 5
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Codyak
macrumors 6502

It's a shame these use Micro USB, otherwise I'd be a lot more interested.
Codyak is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:06 AM   #3
gcliv
macrumors member

When are these companies going to get it through their thick skulls that thinness isn't everything? I care much more about how awkwardly tall the Mophie makes the iphone, not how fat.
gcliv is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:24 AM   #4
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Poor Morphie - still not getting that the point is that the big block at the bottom makes the bloody screen unusable.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Ichabod.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcliv View Post
When are these companies going to get it through their thick skulls that thinness isn't everything? I care much more about how awkwardly tall the Mophie makes the iphone, not how fat.
I guess the operate under the assumption that people that buy iPhones and their products have deep pockets.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:30 AM   #6
polaris20
macrumors 68020

I really loved the Juicepack Air I had on my iPhone 4, but the Helium is a piece of ****. I had it on my 5 for all of a day, and found it to be poorly made, the jack was awkward (not really Mophie's fault), and the battery life unnecessary, since my 5 makes it to 10pm with still 30% on the battery.
polaris20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcliv View Post
There is no going around the fact that the case has to to plug in into the lightning connector and have port for speakers.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:24 AM   #8
budselectjr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
Poor Morphie - still not getting that the point is that the big block at the bottom makes the bloody screen unusable.
How does that make the screen unusable? I have the Air for my 5 and I love it.
budselectjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:41 AM   #9
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by budselectjr View Post
How does that make the screen unusable? I have the Air for my 5 and I love it.
The iPhone 5 screen is too tall to comfortably reach the top of as it is. Adding more mass at the bottom makes that problem even worse.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
There is no going around the fact that the case has to to plug in into the lightning connector and have port for speakers.
A ribbon cable would not require any significant mass at the bottom.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 01:12 PM   #10
daviddth
macrumors 6502a

Give me a Morphie with Lightning connection at the base so I can use my existing Lightning charge and AUDIO ability and I'll be happy. Yes I want audio and charge on the 1 cable, but this makes it impossible. Surely there is a way around this?
daviddth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 01:23 PM   #11
MacFan23
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddth View Post
Give me a Morphie with Lightning connection at the base so I can use my existing Lightning charge and AUDIO ability and I'll be happy. Yes I want audio and charge on the 1 cable, but this makes it impossible. Surely there is a way around this?
Does Apple allow others to use their connections? Can't say I've ever seen a product which has, assumed they didn't licence it, only the cables/adapters
MacFan23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 01:29 PM   #12
daviddth
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFan23 View Post
Does Apple allow others to use their connections? Can't say I've ever seen a product which has, assumed they didn't licence it, only the cables/adapters
For something like a case wth battery, it seems more logical to have the same connection as the iPhone to allow it to be used in docks. Back in the 3G or 3GS days I picked up a battery case that had a 30 pin connector on it, and it was brilliiant as everything worked like the normal phone connector. It was not a known brand case, but it served me well at the time, and I'd like to see the same thing appear once again in the current round of cases
daviddth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 02:15 PM   #13
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
It's a shame these use Micro USB, otherwise I'd be a lot more interested.
Indeed, I have this for my 4S and I hardly use it for this reason. It is reserved for days when I travel and am away from a reliable charging source.

Surely they can just pay Apple a fee to use the same connector?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:06 PM   #14
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

colored plastic? looks cheap.

...right?? oh.
mdelvecchio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:26 AM   #15
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a

Mophie's juice pack powerstation is where it's at. I've never been interested in these cases. Mainly, I just like my iPhone naked. The added bulk--particularly at the bottom--seems to defeat much of the design detail Apple puts into these.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:11 AM   #16
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthpope View Post
Mophie's juice pack powerstation is where it's at. I've never been interested in these cases. Mainly, I just like my iPhone naked. The added bulk--particularly at the bottom--seems to defeat much of the design detail Apple puts into these.
But less bulk than luggin around a powerstation.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:26 AM   #17
Squilly
macrumors 68020

I really like the colors available, although I've heard awful things about the Mophie's in general.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:08 AM   #18
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodauw View Post
But less bulk than luggin around a powerstation.
I just keep it tucked in my bag pocket
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:17 AM   #19
heutusops
macrumors regular

cases make the phone so thick and heavy. i use my phone without any protection
heutusops is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:54 PM   #20
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

I always.....

look up to Mophie products. Like the aesthetics and the extra power....But being too distracted and have bad record with dropping phones, plus hearing histories about Mophie cases being broken, have hold me from buying.....

Anyways, the post is more about my liking for Mophie products and the extra power, always welcomed....

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion