Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jingol

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Hello everyone

I bought MBP newly very interesting Compared with PC

but

I am disappoint when see download speed at Macbook Pro Compared with old PC

download speed with

SAME Download link
SAME Internet Connection
SAME Time

at PC (windows 8) is 150KB/S but download speed with MBP ( OSX 10.8.2) isn't more 12KB/S !!

why ?

( system directly to modem by an Ethernet cable )

I search my Problem and see many MAC user have my issue

Please Google "Slow Download Speed Mac "

see this discussion

Slow Download Speed on macbook pro

Why Apple Support don't refer any solution ?

what do I must do ?

Use PC for download ?!!

iThinksimple

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
SAME Download link
SAME Internet Connection
SAME Time

that's mean you share the Internet connection between Mac and PC to perform this speed benchmark ? if so, have you been tried to test speed only on Mac ?

so far, since i'm using Mac, i never experience the problem with Internet speed on Mac, unless network issue from ISP.
what's download speed i've got is what Internet speed of ISP that given to me,

note: have you tried to switch ethernet LAN cable to modem between Mac and PC ?, to make sure the ethernet cable is on good condition,

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
There's your problem. Download them separately to get a better reading of each system's download speed.

This

What's likely happening is your PC, for whatever reason, is being given bandwidth priority over your mac. To get an accurate comparison download the file on the PC and check it's speed. Then remove the cable from the PC and plug it into the mac and download the same file again. More than likely you'll get equal speeds.

Fact is, your hardware / software has no real connection to your download speed. That is entirely your network and / or cables. If you make those consistent for both than you will get the same speeds.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
SAME Download link
SAME Internet Connection
SAME Time

at PC (windows 8) is 150KB/S but download speed with MBP ( OSX 10.8.2) isn't more 12KB/S !!
( system directly to modem by an Ethernet cable )

like others have said, don't test this at the same time. both systems are plugged into the modem? do you not have a router?

is 150 kb/s a typical speed for you? that seems a bit slow.
try going to testmy.net or speedtest.net and run a few speed tests to see what your typical dl speed should be.

if you really have both of them hooked into your modem or router at the same time then what is happening is most likely that the modem or router is giving the PC preference - even more likely that you pressed start on the PC a split second sooner.

You're also running an old version of OSX (Snow Leopard) and a new version of Windows so can we also assume that you are using a new PC and an older Mac?

OSX Lion shipped in July 2011 so your MBP is at least over 2 years old...it could be that the network card in your PC is superior to the one in your mac.

although i doubt it- i imagine if you run the tests side by side you won't see a huge difference. If you do then you probably have a software issue going on or (somewhat less likely) a hardware issue.

Either way we need more info re what you have to help.

good luck!

Jingol

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks for response

after upgrade to OS X v10.8.4 my problem resolved now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.