Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Hi guys, I just want to get your opinion of this -
It seems that after Haswell, will come Haswell-E, it is, according to specs MUCH more high end and powerful and will support DDR4. Do you think the next rMBP will actually get haswell-E (or even before the schedule refresh), or is next-next September, i.e. September 2015, do you think it will be time for Broadwell in Macbook airs and pros? Or will it just be a slightly revised version of the existing Haswell that is coming now?

I know this is a random question..but any thoughts would be really appreciated! Thanks ;)

look at the chart/diagram on this site for a comparison of the two (Haswell and Haswell-E, the "E" seems like a BIG jump..

http://www.pcper.com/news/Editorial...lamation-Haswell-E-Holiday-2014-question-mark

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Maybe a February refresh to Haswell E then Broadwell later.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Haswell-E is for servers and consumes far too much power (and dissipates far too much heat) to put in a laptop. After Haswell will be Broadwell.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
Haswell-E is for servers and consumes far too much power (and dissipates far too much heat) to put in a laptop. After Haswell will be Broadwell.

exactly that.

we get Haswell E in the consumer line as the top of the range aka enthusiast segment

Broadwell is rumoured to SUPPORT DDR4, its NOT confirmed

and sincerely I hope that broadwell gets DDR4, samsung is currently using 512mb chips for the 16gb and 32gb ram sticks, and the capacity should increase as well, thus leaving rmbps with 16gb as base and 32gb as upgrade or more

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
Hi guys, I just want to get your opinion of this -
It seems that after Haswell, will come Haswell-E, it is, according to specs MUCH more high end and powerful and will support DDR4. Do you think the next rMBP will actually get haswell-E (or even before the schedule refresh), or is next-next September, i.e. September 2015, do you think it will be time for Broadwell in Macbook airs and pros? Or will it just be a slightly revised version of the existing Haswell that is coming now?

My opinion on this topic is of very little value, but for what it's worth I would be very surprised to see a 6- or 8-core CPU in a MacBook Pro next year. I don't think they can make a fan spin fast enough to squeeze a Haswell-E into the slim form factor of a MPB. ;)

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Sandy Bridge-E, Ivy Bridge-E and Haswell-E are all for Workstations, Enthusiasts and Servers. They are not notebook CPU's they are not even mainstream processors.

The only place Apple will use these is in the Mac Pro. I have two Sandy Bridge-E based systems right now they are insanely fast chips.

psik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Got it. Broadwell is what will come for apple macbooks. Haswell-E may make it to the MAC PRO (desktop) and not the macbooks.
And by the way Broadwell will definitely support DDR4 because Haswell-E is already scheduled to support DDR4.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
I would be very surprised to see a 6- or 8-core CPU in a MacBook Pro next year.

There absolutely will not be a 6- or 8-core CPU in a MacBook Pro next year because Intel will not produce any 6- or 8-core mobile CPUs next year -- and probably not in 2015 either. On the other hand, there is a good chance that we may see a quad-core Broadwell CPU go into the 13" MBP next year.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
The Ivy Bridge-E will be released by mid September... I am going to build a killer Hackintosh workstation which I hope will last for 5 years...:D

The Haswell-E will be released in the second half of 2014. The CPU will not be compatible with current LGA2011. Apart of performance and support of bigger RAM size, the good thing with -E processors is that Intel guarantees socket compatibility for 2 years, which means you don't need to buy a new MOBO if you wanna upgrade the CPU...

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Got it. Broadwell is what will come for apple macbooks. Haswell-E may make it to the MAC PRO (desktop) and not the macbooks.
And by the way Broadwell will definitely support DDR4 because Haswell-E is already scheduled to support DDR4.
No it won't support DDR4. All the leaked roadmaps say so. What Intel does with the E series rarely has anything to do with the mainstream architecture.
Skylake will come with DDR4. Broadwell ist just a Haswell shrink and for bandwidth may have more eDRAM options but there won't be any DDR4.
intel-roadmap-post-haswell-rumour,V-P-391237-3.jpg

Broadwell will bring System on a Chip like the current U series dual cores for Quad Cores and probably greatly increase battery life on quad core notebooks. A couple more EUs for the GPUs (40% more GPU speed compared to haswell) and otherwise whatever efficiency and clock speed improvements they can get out of 14nm. I doubt the latter is too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.