Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insan56

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2005
is there a program out there that will bring back some deleted data, because i accedentialy deleted some very important files!!!!!

thanx

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
insan56 said:
is there a program out there that will bring back some deleted data, because i accedentialy deleted some very important files!!!!!

thanx

For starters if this happened a good bit ago you might not have much chance of restoring the deleted files, as because over time newer files overwrite older files therefor making recovery impossible.

I don't know of any freeware solutions, but there are a few different programs that let you (supposedly, I haven't used any of this software personally) recover deleted files.

There is
FileSalvage. It offers a free trial, but it only allows you to see what it can recover, I believe to recover the files that you see with this program you have to register it, which is around $90US.

There is also Data Rescue. This one will also show you exactly what it can recover but it will only allow you, in trial mode, to recover one file that is 500kb or smaller. Cost for this one is also about the same as the prior program.

So these will at least tell you if there is even a chance of recovering the files. And always remember to install these onto a different disk than you are trying to recover, or else the deleted media could be overwritten.

insan56

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2005
well, i only deleted them about an hour ago.... and it was a few music songs so they are more than 500K

does anyone know of any free programs??? PLZ

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
insan56 said:
well, i only deleted them about an hour ago.... and it was a few music songs so they are more than 500K

does anyone know of any free programs??? PLZ

i doubt u can get anything for free that will do it..but you know there alwiz "alternatives" on the web...

DJO

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2004
Spend money

Hello!

I recently lost a large number of files, l used Data Rescue and it recovered them perfectly. You will have to spend some money, but in my opinion it is worth it.

Good luck,

DJO:) :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
And if this is and OS X machine, and if you hope to recover files STOP USING THE MACHINE!
Turn it off. Seriously. Now.
Every minute you use the machine, the better chance the files's sectors on the hard drive are being overwritten by OS X.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
You have to pay either way.
Buy the Software for x amount of $ or buy the music again for x amount of $.

IMO get the Software I'm pretty sure it will come in handy in the future. 30-40 bucks for some recovery software (or software in general) isn't all that much.

Good Luck.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Next Time Read Carefully, also as CanadaRAM said Stop using the machine until you find the software youll be recovering with. How many music files did you lose. If its less than the price of recovery software i would just rebuy the songs(if you bought them online). Also this is yet another reason to always make backups!
Good luck and I hope you recover your files.

insan56

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2005
well, thanx
but i dont think that i am going to buy any software it was only one and a half CD's that i bought of iTunes... you think that iTunes would let you download songs that you have bought again!

i will most likely re download the music... thanx for your help!

i thought there would at lest be one free program for mac that could find deleted files!

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
most of the time apple will not let you re download the songs. But in some cases they will, when you call them tell them that your ipod or itunes deleted the songs and not you. If you blame it on them they are more likeley to allow you to redownload it.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Will Cheyney said:
Well, if you bought them all from iTunes, I'm pretty sure that you can download them again for nothing.

Nope. There's a warning about backing up your music when you purchase it, as you will not be allowed to re-download music.

And on that note, origianl poster, why not get the music off your back up? You DOOOOOO have a back up don't you?? ;)

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Here's a tip:

Don't empty the trash. Just don't. The only time you really need to empty the trash is when you're running out of HD space (or if you're a power user and need a large scratch disk). I tend to empty trash only every couple of months. As long as you've got 10GB or so free, there's really no reason to empty trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.