Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:00 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Plants vs. Zombies 2' Nears 25 Million Downloads, PopCap Teases 'Crop Circle' Video

EA today announced that Plants vs. Zombies 2, the sequel to its popular lane defense game Plants vs. Zombies, has been downloaded nearly 25 million times since being released on August 15.

To accompany the announcement, EA has released a new infographic that shares some fun information about the game, including the fact that Plants vs. Zombies 2 downloads have already exceeded the total lifetime downloads for Plants vs. Zombies.

While the first expansion for the Plants vs. Zombies 2, "Far Future," has already been announced, our sister site TouchArcade has a new video that hints at another upcoming update involving aliens.

Quote:
PopCap blasted us a mysterious pseudo-trailer for what we're thinking might be the first clue for the next Plants vs. Zombies 2 update. It's little more than a zombie standing in a field, the camera pans out... And it's a huge crop circle corn maze sort of thing.
Plants vs. Zombies 2 is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Plants vs. Zombies 2' Nears 25 Million Downloads, PopCap Teases 'Crop Circle' Video
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:04 PM   #2
HardRain
macrumors member

One of the most disappointing games of the year. IAP makes this game about as fun as an arsenic laced lollipop.
HardRain is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:22 PM   #3
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

I'm proud to say I played through the game without BUYING a single iAP. Doesn't mean I didn't USE iAPs. *hehehehehe*
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Brittany246
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRain View Post
One of the most disappointing games of the year. IAP makes this game about as fun as an arsenic laced lollipop.
People are still complaining about IAP? Did you even play through the game?
Brittany246 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

I haven't used IAP either, the keys you get in some levels do the unlocking for me. You only need 4-6 of them too.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:20 PM   #6
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Not surprising, considering it's free.
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:38 PM   #7
HiRez
macrumors 601

Alien zombies, obviously.

----------

Quote:
I normally loathe IAP games, but PvZ2 is actually one of the more enjoyable and user-friendly IAP based games I've seen. My wife has played through most of it and hasn't had to spend a dime yet. Yes, she sometimes goes back to earn some coins for special powers, but since there's lots of challenges that you can earn stars/keys anyway, that's not a problem. PvZ2 has a very friendly IAP.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:43 PM   #8
seamer
macrumors 6502

The little missions are fun, and sometimes frustratingly hard unless you spend the game currency. Which I try to avoid.

But at least the initial price is 'free'. I hate buying an app to find out there's IAP available for 'bonus' features as well.
seamer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:01 PM   #9
chainprayer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chainprayer
Quote:
100% enjoyable without using IAP. Those items just get you to the end faster, and why do that? Very fun and addicting game. The new plants make up for the few original plants you have to buy to get.

Just ignore the IAPs and you're golden.
chainprayer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:14 PM   #10
borneo76
macrumors member

People just neet to stop complaining and start playing the game, never use IAP so far and im fine,.....even i complete most of the level
borneo76 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:06 PM   #11
rb0435
macrumors newbie

EZ to complete without IAP. People whining about IAP for PvZ 2 obviously haven't even played the game.
rb0435 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:55 PM   #12
Teste
macrumors 6502

I have played it, and I have most of the stars, without using any of the IAP. Everything we could buy feel like cheating (other than the keys); even the powers available through in-game currency feel like cheating.

I think the original game was better, but I would still like to pay something for this game. But I'm not going to buy any of the microtransaction things, due to being against that kind of system, even if it's not intrusive. I wish PopCap had allowed us to pay for the game without using the microtransaction system; that would allow us to support them without telling EA more people are falling for the IAP system.
Teste is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:03 PM   #13
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Crop Circle teaser?!

The new IAP: Aliens vs Zombies vs Plants vs Ninjas

Did I forget something? Pirates?
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 01:54 AM   #14
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
Crop Circle teaser?!

The new IAP: Aliens vs Zombies vs Plants vs Ninjas

Did I forget something? Pirates?
Nah there are already pirates.

But that could mean that it's

Aliens vs Zombies vs Plants vs Ninjas vs Mummies vs Cowboys vs Pirates.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 02:38 AM   #15
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
With a little bit of knowledge it is not difficult to obtain a looooot of the in game currencies all without jailbreaking

So instead of getting a bigger upfront payment from me they now basically receive nothing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teste View Post
I have played it, and I have most of the stars, without using any of the IAP. Everything we could buy feel like cheating (other than the keys); even the powers available through in-game currency feel like cheating.

I think the original game was better, but I would still like to pay something for this game. But I'm not going to buy any of the microtransaction things, due to being against that kind of system, even if it's not intrusive. I wish PopCap had allowed us to pay for the game without using the microtransaction system; that would allow us to support them without telling EA more people are falling for the IAP system.
It's not PopCap anymore, it's EA!
Old Aug 31, 2013, 05:36 AM   #16
anupviews
macrumors newbie

That's a really good numbers.
anupviews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 08:44 AM   #17
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Its a great sequel. You don't have to spend a penny on IAP if you don't want to.
Kissaragi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:01 AM   #18
otismotive77
macrumors 6502

it totally deserved this success, really great game. would love to see plants vs zombies 3.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:03 AM   #19
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Yet to even try it. The freemium model is something I really do not want to support.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:29 AM   #20
PsykX
macrumors 6502

So far, I've played for 6 hours and this game has cost me absolutely nothing and I've had plenty of fun. Why do people complain at this point is beyond me.
PsykX is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:48 AM   #21
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

i played a few hours last night had a ton of fun kept me occupied while i was shopping with my gf. who cares about in-app-purchases really u don't need them to have fun,plus it's free lol.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:57 AM   #22
koban4max
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd View Post
I'm proud to say I played through the game without BUYING a single iAP. Doesn't mean I didn't USE iAPs. *hehehehehe*
so..u used jb to get inapp hack?
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:19 AM   #23
heutusops
macrumors regular

25 million downloads? for that game? there are literally tonnes of games better than that. i seriously dont wanna live on this planet anymore...
heutusops is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:00 PM   #24
NiCk-
macrumors member

This is the best game on iPhone and is completely free .. Yes, some things are locked but none of them are mandatory to progress or to complete the game .. I have finished the first two worlds and got all of the stars without paying a single cent ..

Also, I feel that Popcap is way too generous with the amount of coins that are given in the game .. For example, I have over 100k in-game coins at the moment because I have never used the "gesture powers" which feel like cheating in my opinion ..

So, I don't actually understand why people complain about this F2P model .. I just hope that they 'll continue in the same way and not demand from us to pay real money to unlock new worlds in the future ..

Quote:
25 million downloads? for that game? there are literally tonnes of games better than that. i seriously dont wanna live on this planet anymore…
Are there ?? Free ?? Please name a few because I would like to play them .. (no sarcasm)
NiCk- is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:19 PM   #25
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by heutusops View Post
25 million downloads? for that game? there are literally tonnes of games better than that. i seriously dont wanna live on this planet anymore...
I hear mars is nice this time of year, have a good trip.
Kissaragi is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion