Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkusMouse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2013
Brisbane
I have recorded all my ‘big black CD’s (LP records), set them up in Artist/Albumn folders, converted them to MP3, and added all the title, artist, albumn, track no. data to the MP3 metadata. Big Job!

Now I use ‘Add File (or Folder) to Library’ and it imports the files perfectly… EXCEPT that it ignores the metadata and leaves me with a million songs with no albumn, artist etc.!!!

Why is this so?

Any suggestions?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
By metadata, I presume you mean the ID3 tags. How are you editing the metadata? iTunes on import will use the file name for the track name if it's not in the mp3 metadata. The file name otherwise does not matter and the folder name is not used for anything on the import.

MarkusMouse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2013
Brisbane
Thanks Bear

Yes, I was referring to the ID3 tags, which I updated with an ID3 command line utility. The tag info shows up in the Windows Explorer file properties.

It appears the ID3 data is not read by iTunes however.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Yes, I was referring to the ID3 tags, which I updated with an ID3 command line utility. The tag info shows up in the Windows Explorer file properties.

It appears the ID3 data is not read by iTunes however.
Yes, it is being used by iTunes as I've had MP3 files that had no metadata issues being imported into iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.