Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Origin was working fine, but after I downloaded and installed SimCity, it started freezing. Of course you need Origin to work to play SimCity. Has anyone else experienced this freeze up after installing this game? It won't let me do anything now.

Ka Ora!

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Origin was working fine, but after I downloaded and installed SimCity, it started freezing. Of course you need Origin to work to play SimCity. Has anyone else experienced this freeze up after installing this game? It won't let me do anything now.

If you have issues with it try installing the Origin Beta, Go into preferences and select the Beta Checkbox

Chazz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
If you have issues with it try installing the Origin Beta, Go into preferences and select the Beta Checkbox

Well, that's part of the problem. It won't let me launch it at all. :/ I uninstalled both completely and tried to reinstall Origin. Now it gets stuck on "Permission required to install helper." I type the password in and it just cycles through over and over. I did do a test and copied and pasted the file from the package contents into the library folder it was supposed to go into, but when I launch it, it delete the file! haha. I don't know why though. EA support is no help either. They don't have the most tech savvy on their support team, ironically.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Same here. The first time I have purchased a computer game in 15+ years, I threw caution to the wind from many of the frustrated comments and purchased it Sunday. Origin app ver. 9.3.1 loads but forces me to install 9.3.5 which crashes. There is no way to use 9.3.1, 9.3.5 crashes in 10.8.x and 10.9, and I can't even load it to check beta installs.

HTF are customers supposed to modify the app's preferences when I'm forced to update to a version that doesn't work???

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
We're nicely running Origin and SimCity 5 on a 10.9.4 8GB 2.4GHz C2D 2010 Mac Mini with no problems. We had to turn down the graphics settings of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.