Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Was listening to music on my 2010 13" and all of a sudden the speakers cut into what seems like one of them went out, like the song is totally empty. Almost as if I had headphones plugged in and sitting on my desk and I was listening to it that way.

yliu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
I don't think blown speakers are common, as Apple had probably put internal amps that the speaker can handle at any volume.

Have you tried with songs on your computer that you had listened to previously for comparison? Maybe there's a bad connection or a component broke.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I don't think blown speakers are common, as Apple had probably put internal amps that the speaker can handle at any volume.

Have you tried with songs on your computer that you had listened to previously for comparison? Maybe there's a bad connection or a component broke.

Gotcha. There is no static or distortion, it just sounds far away and not as loud, so you might be on to something with a bad connection or component. I'll get it checked out when I get a chance. Thanks!

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
there could just be debris in them perhaps. my 2006 17"MBP speakers are still sounding pristine and gloriously huge sounding with great bass, much better than the later models for sure.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
there could just be debris in them perhaps. my 2006 17"MBP speakers are still sounding pristine and gloriously huge sounding with great bass, much better than the later models for sure.

Hm, maybe, although it happened right in the middle of a song. Straight from full to empty sounding in a second.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
it does this with every song you play? it may be your logic board then.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
it does this with every song you play? it may be your logic board then.

Yeah all sound. Youtube as well. It does sound alright through headphones though. And really? :/

Last edited:

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
I know, right? Hmm... I hardly use my speakers I mostly have to use headphones and monitors anyways for studio recording needs. Good luck keep us posted! ^_^

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I know, right? Hmm... I hardly use my speakers I mostly have to use headphones and monitors anyways for studio recording needs. Good luck keep us posted! ^_^

But could this mean my logic board is failing?

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
It may, or it means you just gots'to swap out for new speakers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.