Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidLeigh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
So i bought some pretty good quality RAM and i'm trying to install and test them. Trouble is, i can't seem to get the screws to budge. Not one of the ten on the underside of my machine. It's crazy. I'm turning them anticlockwise, and they're so tight they're stripping my screwdrivers. Far worse, is if this messes up the screws themselves. Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
A good screwdriver really helps for these tiny sizes.

I googled around and the most common recommendations for good precision screwdrivers were Wiha, Wera, Witte, and some other swiss brands that were hard to find.

Here's the Wiha #00:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...veASIN=B0006OBFOA&linkCode=as2&tag=redtrec-20

I decided to buy the 4-piece set since it was a little cheaper per screwdriver and figured it would be useful to have #000, #00, #0, #1:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...veASIN=B000NZ5QGK&linkCode=as2&tag=redtrec-20

Last edited:

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
And you use a quality Phillips #00 Screwdriver as recommended?

+100000, also some downward pressure is also helpful. I've seen some with too much loctite from the factory. Had to use a soldering iron (must be clean from solder!) with a small tip and applied for several seconds to break the loctite.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I had screw drivers with really skinny metal handles and needed to wrap a towel around the handle in order to turn them.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I had screw drivers with really skinny metal handles and needed to wrap a towel around the handle in order to turn them.

Hate those. I have a really tiny screwdriver that is amazing except it has a tiny handle...
To OP-
I have found that a cheap $5 screwdriver from the local hardware store did the trick pretty nice for me. Of course, the tips on the screwdriver do matter. I have some cheap 4mm tips from china and then a few from a higher quality kit I got a while ago. The cheap chinese torx bits cam out on my screws fairly easily, while the more expensive ones work wonderfully, and would strip the screw before they cammed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.