Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ML321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Canada
I got my MBA with the $100 mac app store gift card because it was in the education deal for Apple.
What apps should I get with it? Can anybody recommend anything good?

I am a business student in college, and this is going to be my first year going to college. I have windows 8 dual booted, and have Microsoft office installed on Windows.
Just a recommendation of apps that are good will be appreciated. Thanks!

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
I got my MBA with the $100 mac app store gift card because it was in the education deal for Apple.
What apps should I get with it? Can anybody recommend anything good?

I am a business student in college, and this is going to be my first year going to college. I have windows 8 dual booted, and have Microsoft office installed on Windows.
Just a recommendation of apps that are good will be appreciated. Thanks!

Honestly, I'm not impressed with the options in the app store, or I just don't know what to look for.

The only app I bought and use daily is iStudiez Pro to keep my class schedule and assignments in order.

I did buy Forklift for a file browser, but honestly, Finder works well enough for my needs. DVDRipper was a $2-Tuesday deal, but I don't even have a SuperDrive so how am I supposed to use that? LOL

I see good reviews for BusyCal, but $30 for a Calendar app seems a little crazy to me. Might be good for your first semester, they're always pretty stacked. I don't stay busy enough to outwork the built-in Calendar app, but I do like that BusyCal can sync across to the Google calendar for my Android phone..still debating that one.

I ended up spending $25 on the Star Trek combo to have something to watch when I'm traveling...I just couldn't find many apps I wanted or would actually use more than once in a blue moon.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There are many existing threads with app recommendations that you may find useful. Which apps you use is determined by what you intend to accomplish, not necessarily what others use. It also has nothing to do with which Mac model you have, as apps run on all models.

This may be useful:
[url="https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9848667/"]Helpful Information for Any Mac User

yliu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
I was thinking about the Pages app. Any thoughts about it?

I've been using the iWork suite for a couple of years and really like them. It's a good alternative for MS Office. Plus, it's gonna have a better iCloud integration.

I imagine it will be like MS Office and Google Drive combined.

krazykleo

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Everywhere and nowhere
Well you don't have to spend it. Save it for when you really need it.

All I've bought so far from the 100$ gc is the Pages app for school work :)

Rest I'm saving till I really need to spend it on something haha, but the app store isn't really that appealing or I am just not looking for the right apps for school :p

----------

Honestly, I'm not impressed with the options in the app store, or I just don't know what to look for.

The only app I bought and use daily is iStudiez Pro to keep my class schedule and assignments in order.

Is iStudiez Pro, recommended? How does it help you keep your classes and assignments in order?

Sorry for threadjack :eek:

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
All I've bought so far from the 100$ gc is the Pages app for school work :)

Rest I'm saving till I really need to spend it on something haha, but the app store isn't really that appealing or I am just not looking for the right apps for school :p

----------

Is iStudiez Pro, recommended? How does it help you keep your classes and assignments in order?

Sorry for threadjack :eek:

Using iStudiez Pro, works very nicely. Really helps with keeping classes in order because it integrates well with the Calendar, and has a ton of other features (see App description in Mac App Store).

OP, had the same problem as you. I did buy iStudiez Pro (and received Office for Mac 2011 for free for being a student), so iWorks would have been redundant. Keep in mind you can also use the gift card balance towards purchases in iTunes (for music).

Also, I would save $20-$30 for buying OS X Mavericks when it is released later this year (if pricing turns out to be similar to Mountain Lion pricing).

Hope that helps!

ML321

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Canada
I was gonna save $20 or $30 to get Mavericks for sure. I just wanted an idea of what apps are good bang for the buck. Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.