Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I hate this....when you start a new text and search contacts, both their phone number and email address pop up. I constantly accidentally click the wrong one. The contacts that don't have an email stored are much easier, only one option.

Why on earth would I ever want to send a text to someone's email address?

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Why on earth is it that hard to differentiate between a phone # and an email address?

Perhaps you should get some glasses . . . a phone that isn't smarter than yourself . . . I could go on (but you get the idea).

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I hate this....when you start a new text and search contacts, both their phone number and email address pop up. I constantly accidentally click the wrong one. The contacts that don't have an email stored are much easier, only one option.

I use email addresses all the times. Many people i know i have ipads in addition to iphones including myself. You can receive all your imessages on the ipad. I also use this for my daughter who does not have a phone yet because she is to young. So she has her own ipad with her email address on it. Her and her friends all have the same type of setup and they can text/facetime each other through it without having a phone.

Oh and also like it was said already...its not hard to click on a phone number instead of a email address.

Last edited:

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Why on earth is it that hard to differentiate between a phone # and an email address?

Perhaps you should get some glasses . . . a phone that isn't smarter than yourself . . . I could go on (but you get the idea).
It's not that it's hard it's just an unnecessary extra step that interrupts the fluidity of the process

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Because iMessage uses email adresses too
Yup, that's definitely one of the bigger reasons in case of iOS devices, but even with regular SMS/MMS (text/multimedia messaging) you can send a text or a photo/video to an email address (and people can text your phone by sending it an email as well).

People communicate with others like that--not everything is from phone to phone (or mobile device to mobile device basically).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As has been stated, iMessage can use email addresses, which is good because it enabled me to use iMessage to converse with friends in England and Australia while using an unactivated iPhone 3GS. It was my first experience using iMessage (my primary phone then was Windows Mobile) and it acclimated me to the Apple ecosystem.

If I had needed a number there would have been no way I could do this.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
As has been stated, iMessage can use email addresses, which is good because it enabled me to use iMessage to converse with friends in England and Australia while using an unactivated iPhone 3GS. It was my first experience using iMessage (my primary phone then was Windows Mobile) and it acclimated me to the Apple ecosystem.

If I had needed a number there would have been no way I could do this.

Why can't you just use the mail app? It's completely redundant.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
It's because e-mail is awesome....
Even dumbphones had this feature from way back when so that's why it's in the iPhone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why can't you just use the mail app? It's completely redundant.
Because it's not as fast and direct as iMessage and doesn't provide for other features like fast group messaging, delivery indicators, read indicators, typing indicators, etc. That's why IM existed and exists even though there's email as well.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Because it's not as fast and direct as iMessage and doesn't provide for other features like fast group messaging, delivery indicators, read indicators, typing indicators, etc. That's why IM existed and exists even though there's email as well.

I've never heard of someone sending emails through text.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iMessage is not emailing through texting.

I think you have a misunderstanding of the way iMessage works. An email address for iMessage is simply an identifier, just like a phone number is. iMessage can use either or both to deliver a text message, but it's still a message and not email.

Someone who uses that email address can login to iCloud on a Mac, an iPad, an iPhone or any other iCloud capable device. iMessage thus knows where to deliver messages.

Messages sent using iMessage are not email, even though one or more users may use an email address as their identifier. They are text messages. But they are routed through Apple's servers and NOT your cell carrier. Because they are routed through Apple's servers, Apple can dicate how the structure works and thus can use an email address as an identifier. Because Apple's servers are being used for iMessaging there is virtually no limit to the size of photos, video, or any other attachments that you can send. There is also no limit to the amount of characters you can use. Lastly, because iMessage goes through Apple's servers you do not get charged for texting by your cell carrier.

Email uses email addresses of course, but email is not instant messaging or text messaging, nor is it an iMessage. An actual text message goes through your cell carrier and is subject to any limitations your cell carrier puts on text messages.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
iMessage is not emailing through texting.

I think you have a misunderstanding of the way iMessage works. An email address for iMessage is simply an identifier, just like a phone number is. iMessage can use either or both to deliver a text message, but it's still a message and not email.

Someone who uses that email address can login to iCloud on a Mac, an iPad, an iPhone or any other iCloud capable device. iMessage thus knows where to deliver messages.

Messages sent using iMessage are not email, even though one or more users may use an email address as their identifier. They are text messages. But they are routed through Apple's servers and NOT your cell carrier. Because they are routed through Apple's servers, Apple can dicate how the structure works and thus can use an email address as an identifier. Because Apple's servers are being used for iMessaging there is virtually no limit to the size of photos, video, or any other attachments that you can send. There is also no limit to the amount of characters you can use. Lastly, because iMessage goes through Apple's servers you do not get charged for texting by your cell carrier.

Email uses email addresses of course, but email is not instant messaging or text messaging, nor is it an iMessage. An actual text message goes through your cell carrier and is subject to any limitations your cell carrier puts on text messages.

I honestly didn't understand that at all. Can you please explain it in simpler terms? I just want to know how sending a text or iMessage to the email address is different than the number? It sounds like a completely unnecessary complicated distinction.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I honestly didn't understand that at all. Can you please explain it in simpler terms? I just want to know how sending a text or iMessage to the email address is different than the number? It sounds like a completely unnecessary complicated distinction.

https://www.apple.com/ios/messages/

iMessage is basically a instant messaging client that is built into Messages. If the person you're sending messages to is also using iMessage, it sends them through the iMessage servers instead of through your carrier as a text message.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's different because not everyone has a phone number and not everyone wants to USE (or can use) a phone number for iMessage.

Let me give you an example…

I have an iPhone 3GS. It is not activated, it does not have a phone number at all because it has no service. How do I use my iPhone 3GS to send or receive an iMessage if I do not have a phone number? How do you contact me over iMessage on my 3GS if you do not have a phone number to contact me with? You can't. I can't.

But if I use an email address on this 3GS because Apple allows me to use an email address for iMessage, then you can contact me on this no service 3GS using iMessage.

Does that make sense, or did I confuse the issue more?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It's different because not everyone has a phone number and not everyone wants to USE (or can use) a phone number for iMessage.

Let me give you an example…

I have an iPhone 3GS. It is not activated, it does not have a phone number at all because it has no service. How do I use my iPhone 3GS to send or receive an iMessage if I do not have a phone number? How do you contact me over iMessage on my 3GS if you do not have a phone number to contact me with? You can't. I can't.

But if I use an email address on this 3GS because Apple allows me to use an email address for iMessage, then you can contact me on this no service 3GS using iMessage.

Does that make sense, or did I confuse the issue more?

Yeah but the vast majority of peoples phones are activated and most of them use the messages app almost exclusively for texting.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah but the vast majority of peoples phones are activated and most of them use the messages app almost exclusively for texting.
That's very true, but Apple gives you this option.

What if you want to split things? What if you want certain iMessages to go only to your phone? And certain other iMessages to go only to your iPad or Mac? You can't use a different number for that, but you can use an email address instead.

If you use only your phone number on each device then every device you have that uses that number will get the iMessage.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Don't think you are following what email address has to do in relation to iMessage...it's not texting someone as an email or something like that.

That said, there are certainly circumstances where someone might want to text someone's email address, let's say when someone is at work or some location where they can't use their phone but are online otherwise and can check their email. You could email too generally speaking but if you don't have a phone that can do email then texting is a great option, and even if you do sometimes depending on email providers and whatnot it might take longer to get or send an email vs a text. A lot of this might not be as common but for some it might be something they do frequently.

However, as far as iMessage is concerned, we are talking about a whole different purpose of the email address there.

----------

Plenty of people with iOS devices that don't have phone numbers (iPod Touch, iPad) but can easily use iMessage. Not only that but also iMeaage can be used on Macs too without any phone number attached of course.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

I can say that I'm probably in the minority, but almost everyone I know uses iMessage quite a bit. Nobody in my family even pays for texting, we all just use iMessage. For anyone that I need to text that doesn't have an iPhone, I'll just shoot them a message through Google voice. Saves me $20 a month...

sovereign

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009

Mine isn't. I quit paying the ridiculous rates years ago. Skype #, GV# (Talkatone ), and the use of iMessage with... an email address to send and receive texts provides all that I need.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I can say that I'm probably in the minority, but almost everyone I know uses iMessage quite a bit. Nobody in my family even pays for texting, we all just use iMessage. For anyone that I need to text that doesn't have an iPhone, I'll just shoot them a message through Google voice. Saves me $20 a month...
I'm on Sprint so iMessage is a bit superfluous for me (unlimited texting). I also have Talkatone with a Google Voice number so there's texting through Google too.

However, iMessage is convenient to contact my friends in the UK and Australia. Sprint charges me 50¢ a text (internationally), send or receive, so I use iMessage and pay nothing.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012

Tap the email addy if you want to send to email.

Tap the phone # is you want to send to phone.

Simple

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Tap the email addy if you want to send to email.

Tap the phone # is you want to send to phone.

Simple

No, it's an annoying confusion that happens several times a day. I shouldn't have to, majority should rule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.