Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScrappyCoco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
san mateo
im in windows 7 currently and my startup disk is set to windows, how do i boot back into mac i don't have the original graphics card on hand so i don't have the loading screen and i dont know what to do. i removed the windows 7 drive and all it gives me is theres no bootable drive because i thought it would automatically return to mac.:confused:

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
When you are in Windows, you should have a Boot Camp Control Panel in the task bar (that right section with all those fancy icons), clicking (left or right) gives you the option to restart into Mac OS X, if you have the Boot Camp drivers for Windows installed AND if your Mac OS X partition is still functioning.

You could also try the OPTION key after the startup sound chimes and see, if that works, as Mac OS X should be listed first and Windows second, thus just pressing ENTER might work, even when blind.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
im in windows 7 currently and my startup disk is set to windows, how do i boot back into mac i don't have the original graphics card on hand so i don't have the loading screen and i dont know what to do. i removed the windows 7 drive and all it gives me is theres no bootable drive because i thought it would automatically return to mac.:confused:

One other way to get back into OS X without the Apple boot menu is to reset the PRAM (or NVRAM).

At startup, just as you hear the BONG! sound, press and hold the Command-option-P-R keys at the same time.
Keep them pressed down until you hear the BONG! a second time (ususally a bit louder volume). Then release.
You will then boot into OS X.

ScrappyCoco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
san mateo
One other way to get back into OS X without the Apple boot menu is to reset the PRAM (or NVRAM).

At startup, just as you hear the BONG! sound, press and hold the Command-option-P-R keys at the same time.
Keep them pressed down until you hear the BONG! a second time (ususally a bit louder volume). Then release.
You will then boot into OS X.

thanks mate worked like a charm

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
Once you are back in Windows, be sure to install the Apple Boot Camp stuff (if you haven't already). It will provide you with a choice of startup disk (OS X or Windows) like you see in OS X System Preferences.

If you want to get back to OS X from Windows, launch the Boot Camp application (it should be on your menu bar) and choose OS X. Then restart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.