Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I bought a 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro shell

Wondering if the design of the motherboard inside has changed much since then? Or which (if any) models afterwards had the same layout?

I just want to know which motherboard would fit into this shell without a problem. (I say shell, but it's everything inside without the motherboard)

Would I only be able to put the same exact year and model motherboard back in? or did they use the same design up until a certain year?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
They switched around the MiniDisplayPort a bit, thus maybe verify it via iFixIt, as the 2008 model shows the MDP between the audio and USB ports and the 2009 model shows the MDP to be between Firewire and USB ports, though my 2009 17" model has it like the 2008 model, but then again, I remember there having taking place a switcheroo at some point.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I bought a 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro shell

Wondering if the design of the motherboard inside has changed much since then? Or which (if any) models afterwards had the same layout?

I just want to know which motherboard would fit into this shell without a problem. (I say shell, but it's everything inside without the motherboard)

Would I only be able to put the same exact year and model motherboard back in? or did they use the same design up until a certain year?

Thanks!

I think that is the one and only logic board that fits it. My sister has a Mid '09 with the SD card slot instead of the Expresscard slot, and the ports are moved around. Unfortunately this makes Late '08/Early '09 motherboards harder to find.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I think that is the one and only logic board that fits it. My sister has a Mid '09 with the SD card slot instead of the Expresscard slot, and the ports are moved around. Unfortunately this makes Late '08/Early '09 motherboards harder to find.

I completely forgot about the express card slot thing.
I haven't seen an older 15" for a long while, for whatever reason I just associate the express card with the 17" models. Ah well, I'll snag a 2008 motherboard.

It's a little disheartening to see you of all people responding to this post, ha. </3 (sorry!)

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I completely forgot about the express card slot thing.
I haven't seen an older 15" for a long while, for whatever reason I just associate the express card with the 17" models. Ah well, I'll snag a 2008 motherboard.

It's a little disheartening to see you of all people responding to this post, ha. </3 (sorry!)

Lol, no hard feelings here :) Hope you snag one for cheap!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.