Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Nigel123
macrumors newbie

Automatically connect to network drive on startup, wake up, and other ups.

Heya!

So I just set up a network hard drive for my family so that we can access files from any computer, or watch movies from the TV without any need to plug and swap each connection.

My issue is the initial connection to the HDD on start up, wake ups, and other reestablishments with the network.

I've looked into the issue and found many many solutions that don't work. What my problem is the way my HDD establishes connection with the router. It's slow. Takes about 1-2 minutes, while the computers take less that 30 seconds.

What is occurring is the computer starts up and goes, "Oh network isn't available," and then doesn't try to connect.

I found this guide: http://superuser.com/a/303011 but I don't really understand it. I've used terminal before, but after I enter the first line I don't see what should come next.

So what I'm really asking: Is there a way in OSX ML to automatically connect to a network HDD when it sees it is ready, rather than try and connect when it is clearly not available.

Additionally, please avoid "Leave the HDD and router on all the time" because that is not how we roll and if it were this question wouldn't be posed.
Nigel123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

We should be able to fix you up with an Applescript to mount the drive then put a delay XX command at the beginning of the script to delay it running.

What is the path to the network drive and I'll try and help you with the Applescript.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Nigel123
macrumors newbie

Sorry I took so long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
We should be able to fix you up with an Applescript to mount the drive then put a delay XX command at the beginning of the script to delay it running.

What is the path to the network drive and I'll try and help you with the Applescript.
I wasnt notified and got busy to check here!

It's located at: /Network/NAS/Media

My concern is that is this script going to run only at login or will it always detect if the drive is online?

I would like it to be.. okay imagine you have a macbook, router, and nas hard drive. The power goes out, the macbook is fine because of battery, the router and has go out. Then the power comes on, you automatically reconnect to the router because your macbook is constantly checking for that connectivity. The hard drive however, is offline. My preference would be for it to say, "Oh I see the hard drive connected to the router I'll automatically connect" to "Oh it's offline I'll try and connect to see if it was interrupted" to "Oh it's definitely offline, no response" to hours later when it is online, "Oh I see it connected now, I'll list it in the connected severs".
Nigel123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel123 View Post
I wasnt notified and got busy to check here!

It's located at: /Network/NAS/Media

My concern is that is this script going to run only at login or will it always detect if the drive is online?

I would like it to be.. okay imagine you have a macbook, router, and nas hard drive. The power goes out, the macbook is fine because of battery, the router and has go out. Then the power comes on, you automatically reconnect to the router because your macbook is constantly checking for that connectivity. The hard drive however, is offline. My preference would be for it to say, "Oh I see the hard drive connected to the router I'll automatically connect" to "Oh it's offline I'll try and connect to see if it was interrupted" to "Oh it's definitely offline, no response" to hours later when it is online, "Oh I see it connected now, I'll list it in the connected severs".
Paste this into the Applescript Editor app and save it as an application, then add it to your login items. This will launch the script at login and delay 30 seconds before mounting the NAS drive. You can test it in Applescript Editor first to see if you need to extend the 30 seconds.

Also, manually mount the drive and select it in Finder then do a command-i and look at the path to make sure it matches the section in quotes.

This should get you the delay you want at startup.

As far as making sure the drive stays mounted, that is a bit more complex. OS X has a utility called autofs that can be used to monitor networked drive and remount them. I am only slightly familiar with it... so you will need to research how to cobble together that piece yourself.

Code:
delay 30
tell application "Finder"
	try
		mount volume "smb://Network/NAS/Media"
	end try
end tell
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:48 AM   #5
AndrewSBreck
macrumors newbie

Bump

Anyone built something like this?
I have a network server at home, and all I want is for it to automatically connect if it is available.

so basically:
if ({Volume} isAvailable && !Connected)
connect to {Volume}
AndrewSBreck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2013, 07:38 AM   #6
dimme
macrumors 6502a

When I startup my mac I also want to connect to my network drive. I just added it to the login items and it is always there. Now if you are having a problem because you share is not available right away, perhaps we should work on that problem. I use a mini server with a attached drive and the volumes are always available. So is you nas always available to the network?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 01:55 PM   #7
moez
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewSBreck View Post
Anyone built something like this?
I have a network server at home, and all I want is for it to automatically connect if it is available.

so basically:
connect to {Volume}
Did you figure out how to do it?
moez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2014, 09:48 AM   #8
CJM
macrumors 6502a

Thread necro, yay! After some Googling I found this thread. Would love to be able to do what was mentioned here:

connect to {Volume}

I have my Time Machine disk image on a network drive, which requires manual mounting every time I'm in the office. Obviously, I forget quite often, leading to weeks between backups. Is this doable via Applescript? I have an alias of the disk image on my desktop, so it's simply a matter of mounting it when the network share is available.

I last touched Applescript on Mac OS 10.1, to write some silly prank back in my teens. I have no idea what I'm doing.
CJM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:04 AM   #9
dfausty
macrumors 6502

Itís not an automated solution, but it is pretty simple to remount the drive using Finder.

I have a public share on my Drobo-FS named "Public". To set it up to reconnect, do the following:

Open Finder.
Press CMD-K.
Enter the smb path in the dialog box (smb://Drobo-FS/Public).
Click the + button to add it to the list of devices.
Click the [Connect] button.

Now, when the drive gets unmounted, re-mounting is a simple as opening Finder and pressing CMD-K [enter]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 8.00.20 AM.png
Views:	29
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	488824  
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:19 AM   #10
mvmanolov
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM View Post
Thread necro, yay! After some Googling I found this thread. Would love to be able to do what was mentioned here:

connect to {Volume}

I have my Time Machine disk image on a network drive, which requires manual mounting every time I'm in the office. Obviously, I forget quite often, leading to weeks between backups. Is this doable via Applescript? I have an alias of the disk image on my desktop, so it's simply a matter of mounting it when the network share is available.

I last touched Applescript on Mac OS 10.1, to write some silly prank back in my teens. I have no idea what I'm doing.
You could automator to make a app that will automatically connect at login...
Pause (3sec)
get specified server
connect to server
done
Old Sep 6, 2014, 04:30 AM   #11
CJM
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmanolov View Post
You could automator to make a app that will automatically connect at login...
Pause (3sec)
get specified server
connect to server
done
As a login app only, or can it be executed when entering password after waking from sleep? I don't really turn off my laptop.
CJM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2014, 06:29 AM   #12
mvmanolov
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM View Post
As a login app only, or can it be executed when entering password after waking from sleep? I don't really turn off my laptop.
well, automator is quite powerful, so you may be able to do that. for example you can make the same app as a "service" and then create a "workflow" that will do that.... i may try this myself actually. LOL (though in the interest of full disclosure, i'm by no means an automator expert...)

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Tags
nas, network, router, terminal, wireless