Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
My opinion it was one of the best and most exciting thing apple has introduced excluding the original iPhone.
It was the best phone of 2010 and it was truly a innovationary* phone.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Retina screen was a game changer no doubt. Along with possibly the most nicest design at that time of any phone.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
It was amazing! By then we had poor android phones like the evo and other phones not worth getting. I was extremely happy when I received mine :)

But now it's a different story, no matter what iPhone Apple releases, we have the
Galaxy devices
LG devices
And Motorola phones.

The Magic is gone if you ask me lol

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The iPhone 4 was the first major redesign of the iPhone ever since it was first released. However, it was, in part, spoiled by the Apple employee going drunk and Gizmodo.

I definitely give props to the iPhone 4, it is the basis of the 4S and 5 (possibly 5S as well). Something only the original iPhone accomplished.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The 4 was a quantum leap forward, but don't forget what we got with the 4S. I usually skip the "S" iterations and won't be buying the 5S, preferring to wait it out for the 6. The 4S was a different ballgame though....the two of them were the pinnacle of Apple's development curve at the time.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
The 4 was a quantum leap forward, but don't forget what we got with the 4S. I usually skip the "S" iterations and won't be buying the 5S, preferring to wait it out for the 6. The 4S was a different ballgame though....the two of them were the pinnacle of Apple's development curve at the time.

I don't understand the huge love for the 4S. On paper, it upgraded lots of components, but in reality it didn't feel much quicker than the 4 (on iOS 5, at least.)

And Siri was just a bit.... Meh.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
You've said it. There were lines wrapping around the blocks at my local Apple store and Best Buy. Couldn't get my hands on one for at least a week!

theriddler

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2011
UK
Retina screen was a game changer no doubt. Along with possibly the most nicest design at that time of any phone.

Even though the 4 is considered low/mid-range now, the screen still trumps most mid-range Android phones. 854*480 on 4" and larger phones? Just no.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It changed the game. I had a 3G at the time and skipped the 3GS the prior year because it didn't look like it offered any strong reason to upgrade. When I saw the iPhone 4 I just HAD to have it. The design was just perfect.

Apple probably knows this too. That's likely why the iPhone 5 is still using an iPhone 4 based design.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
The iPhone 4 was truly amazing. With the Retina screen and the sleek design. The iphone is still being based off of this phones design. It was probably the last "wow" we saw from Apple. Then we got the 4S which was a very small incremental upgrade to the iphone 4. Then the iphone 5 came and alot of people was like WTF. Truth is I'm an iPhone user and I have liked the iphone 4, 4S and 5. I just find the iPhone 4 to be my favorite iPhone ever.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
The iPhone 4 was an amazing product, with a design, display, and build quality that could not be matched. I wasn't even interested in smart phones until it came along because it was just so beautiful.

I haven't felt that way about an iPhone since, so I hope Apple has something revolutionary in the works that will blow away the competition yet again :)

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
The iPhone 4 was an amazing product, with a design, display, and build quality that could not be matched. I wasn't even interested in smart phones until it came along because it was just so beautiful.

I haven't felt that way about an iPhone since, so I hope Apple has something revolutionary in the works that will blow away the competition yet again :)

I hate to say it but I truly don't think we will get much of an upgrade from the iphone 5. However you know we haven't seen much in the way of the front of the phone ... What if they made the screen 4.3" ... Lol just kidding... I doubt it ...

It would be nice though... As long as they don't go crazy and do 5.5" screens...

We need some game changer like the iPhone 4 was... It's just that today it's hard for a "game changer" when it comes to smart phone.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I remember picking up the 4 for the first time and just saying "wow". It was just perfect.

I really want that feeling back. I still love the iPhone and its the only phone I buy. But I'm craving that magical feeling I had from 07 until the 4 was released. Since then, iPhone hasn't been all that exciting.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I don't understand the huge love for the 4S. On paper, it upgraded lots of components, but in reality it didn't feel much quicker than the 4 (on iOS 5, at least.)

And Siri was just a bit.... Meh.

You've forgotten. I have a 4 and it is slow. The biggest upgrade it needs is speed. Enter 4s.

Nothing anyone can release will feel as special as the 4 seemed.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
We need some game changer like the iPhone 4 was... It's just that today it's hard for a "game changer" when it comes to smart phone.

Yep. In 2010 we had not yet gotten to the point we're at today where the market is saturated with smartphones. It just seems hard to deliver something truly mind blowing anymore.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Yep. In 2010 we had not yet gotten to the point we're at today where the market is saturated with smartphones. It just seems hard to deliver something truly mind blowing anymore.

Yes. There's just so many different ones... High end, mid level, and entry level phones.

In 2010 when the iPhone 4 came there were not so many different types of phones. For the most part the Droids were trash.. Now you have the Galaxy S series, the HTC one's, the LG's, Motorolla... Can't forget the Lumia's. By the time an iPhone is released it's already "outdated." It's just impossible to be so "innovative" in the smart phone industry. Will we get another "wow" eventually ... Possible... Will he be in a few days? Not likely. All I know is I like the 4/4S and if the 5S/5C isn't in my liking then ill skip and wait til next year... I'm an iPhone user... Meaning I'm not going to Android lol

Last edited:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
This is why I think people are expecting the near-impossible when they claim for "innovation." The original iPhone was awesome, it got followed up with the addition of 3G, then the 4 model gets a display with pixels so small you cannot see them at normal viewing distance.

So at the point of the iPhone 4, you've got some huge changes made. People obviously like the design of the 4, so Apple doesn't change it much when the 5 comes out and adds LTE. But Steve Jobs died, so the convenient story line is "Apple can't innovate" because apparently innovation is making a 4.8-inch screen. Or putting NFC in a phone because NFC.

I still can't think of a single thing that is close to being possible that would be the same wow factor as the original iPhone or the Retina display. Siri is always going to be a work in progress, and it's not like recognizing the different voices and pronunciations of 7 billion people is easy. Microsoft's Kinect certainly isn't perfect at doing that.

I think it's going to take flexible OLED displays for the next round of really wow-inducing products. If Apple can develop some smart watch that bends around your wrist to conform to its exact shape, then yeah, that might do it. But it's not like any of the watches out there now are anything like that. They're all essentially like the iPod nano mockups with a wristband, sensors and a better OS.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
This changes everything. Again.

http://www.apple.com/channel/iphone/iphone-4/tour/

the tagline really did align with the products, I mean iphone 4 really was the best phone that came out in 2010, no other phone beats it.

with today's competition from other manufacturers, it will be hard for apple to replicate the iphone 4 launch.

shanej399

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
I still use my iphone 4. I feel like I really need to upgrade after reading this thread haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.