Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 1, 2013, 01:19 AM   #1
GiantsFan01
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
What do you think the specs will be for the new 21.5 iMac base model?

I am hoping that the fusion drive is at least included. It is a necessity with the increase in speed but the extra $250 is steep currently.

I can live with 8 GB Ram and I am praying that they include the ability to upgrade in the new version.

What do you all expect the pricing to come in at?
GiantsFan01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 01:22 AM   #2
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hopefully something fully flash, not fusion.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 02:56 AM   #3
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsFan01 View Post
What do you think the specs will be for the new 21.5 iMac base model? I am hoping that the fusion drive is at least included. It is a necessity with the increase in speed but the extra $250 is steep currently. I can live with 8 GB Ram and I am praying that they include the ability to upgrade in the new version. What do you all expect the pricing to come in at?
Historically, the pricing doesn't seem to fluctuate all that much with updates; you just get a better machine at the same price point. Keep in mind, no one is expecting a redesigned iMac, just spec bumps.

Having said that, nothing much has been speculated about as a realistic possibility, other than the expected Haswell processor and 802.11ac wireless chip. Ram on the base model, will likely stay at 8GB. Maybe, just maybe, graphics might get a bit of a boost, but including the fusion drive standard, on the base model, while staying around the same price point, seems a bit of a stretch, but I'll happily eat my words, if that were the case.

Hopefully, we'll get our answer before the end of October, alongside the new MacPro and Mavericks.
__________________
Due to my aversion to bragging and clichés, no words of wisdom to be found on this line.....
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsFan01 View Post
I am hoping that the fusion drive is at least included. It is a necessity with the increase in speed but the extra $250 is steep currently.

I can live with 8 GB Ram and I am praying that they include the ability to upgrade in the new version.

What do you all expect the pricing to come in at?
I expect pricing to be similar for the base models, certain options may come down in price. I do not expect RAM will be user upgradable as I doubt they will redesign the iMac so soon.

I'm not sure if the Fusion Drive would become standard, but if not, it's price could drop.

I do expect 802.11ac, and that SSDs will be PCIe based.

Other than that, it depends on which GPUs and processors Apple elects to use in each iMac model.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 01:04 PM   #5
kaellar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Pricing across the models won't change at all IMO. Base model will also receive only small incremental updates (haswell cpu, nvidia 700 series gpu, wifi ac, pcie ssd) with no fusion drive included. Hi-end 21.5 model, however, currently has a $300 gap between it and the base model, while offering almost nothing aside of what base model has. Which makes me believe that it (and both 27 models) could get a fusion drive as a standard. Just my $0.02.
kaellar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 01:25 PM   #6
steve119
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scotland, land of the haggis
Hopefully fusion as standard, no way will they go ssd only unless they want to price everyone out of buying an iMac.
__________________
2011 MBP 13" 2.4 i5 8GB, 16GB ipad 2, 16GB ipad mini, apple tv 2nd gen, 80GB ipod.
2012 27"iMac i5 2.9 1TB 8GB Ram, black iPhone 5 16GB
steve119 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Hopefully something fully flash, not fusion.
Fusion as standard maybe on some o fthe models. Won't be SSD for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve119 View Post
Hopefully fusion as standard, no way will they go ssd only unless they want to price everyone out of buying an iMac.
And if they did put in an SSD for the same price, it would be too small and cause too many customer issues in the default configs.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 03:28 PM   #8
ioannis2005gr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
I expect pricing to be similar for the base models...
I'm not sure if the Fusion Drive would become standard, but if not, it's price could drop. I do expect 802.11ac, and that SSDs will be PCIe based. Other than that, it depends on which GPUs and processors Apple elects to use in each iMac model.
I agree...Also, it's possible APPLE to include i5 Haswell + HD4600/5000 series graphics in the base model...I am not sure if there is a PCIe SSD in a fusion drive as "STANDARD" in the base model! Let's see if the Haswell Mac mini base model scores better than an 21.5'' Haswell iMac base model...
ioannis2005gr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 03:33 PM   #9
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsFan01 View Post
I am hoping that the fusion drive is at least included. It is a necessity with the increase in speed but the extra $250 is steep currently.
yes but worth it

I can live with 8 GB Ram and I am praying that they include the ability to upgrade in the new version.
You can live with it now, but not when the next OSX comes out maybe? As the form factor prevents the user upgrade (and will continue to do so on the 21") I would pay for 16GB from Apple as your prayers are not going to be answer

What do you all expect the pricing to come in at?
Same as now more or less.
__________________
iMac 21.5 2013, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2/4/Air Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 2.8/24-70 2.8/14-24 2.8/60 Macro 2.8/10.5 Fish eye 2.8
Apple fanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 06:27 PM   #10
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Fusion as standard maybe on some o fthe models. Won't be SSD for a variety of reasons.
Like? Real interested listen to this.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 07:12 PM   #11
kaellar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Like? Real interested listen to this.
1. cost
2. ssd (for OS and software) + traditional hdd (filedump) is the best of two worlds (speed+capacity)
3. no need in shrinking the size of storage device (there's space for both blade ssd and hdd)
__________________
21.5 iMac 2012 Custom: i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD | iPhone 5 16gb

Last edited by kaellar; Sep 1, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
kaellar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 07:40 PM   #12
sublunar
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsFan01 View Post
I am hoping that the fusion drive is at least included. It is a necessity with the increase in speed but the extra $250 is steep currently.

I can live with 8 GB Ram and I am praying that they include the ability to upgrade in the new version.

What do you all expect the pricing to come in at?
I don't think the Fusion drive will be included but the price points will remain the same in my opinion. The 21.5" iMac is fairly easy to predict.

They'll use an embedded CPU on the motherboard that will come with Iris Pro 5200 graphics, all models of the 21.5" will lose the discrete graphics.

2.7 GHz quad core i5 for the 'good' spec.
3GHz i5 quad core for the 'better' spec.
3.2GHz i7 quad core with hyperthreading for the 'best' spec - a BTO upgrade from the 'better' spec.

You can expect them to retain the same case shell - the cpu has the same thermal profile - and the graphics will be a rough match for the discrete versions offered on the Ivy Bridge models GT640M and GT650M while actually producing less heat because there will be no discrete GPU.

Effectively, I'm saying the prices will stay the same and the iMac 21.5" models will run cooler.

If you want to continue to speculate on the 27" models, we could see an overclocked version of all of the above to improve the graphics on the base models, with discrete NVidia parts for the 'better' and 'best' but that's very much speculation on my part.
sublunar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 07:50 PM   #13
kaellar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Oh.. my.. god..
I do really hope you're wrong and Apple won't use iGPUs in iMacs. I actually thought there's only one desktop Cpu with 5200pro on-board, but it turns out there's the full iMac-ready bunch of them
__________________
21.5 iMac 2012 Custom: i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD | iPhone 5 16gb
kaellar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 09:04 PM   #14
wmy5
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: upstate NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublunar View Post
I don't think the Fusion drive will be included but the price points will remain the same in my opinion. The 21.5" iMac is fairly easy to predict.

They'll use an embedded CPU on the motherboard that will come with Iris Pro 5200 graphics, all models of the 21.5" will lose the discrete graphics.

2.7 GHz quad core i5 for the 'good' spec.
3GHz i5 quad core for the 'better' spec.
3.2GHz i7 quad core with hyperthreading for the 'best' spec - a BTO upgrade from the 'better' spec.

You can expect them to retain the same case shell - the cpu has the same thermal profile - and the graphics will be a rough match for the discrete versions offered on the Ivy Bridge models GT640M and GT650M while actually producing less heat because there will be no discrete GPU.

Effectively, I'm saying the prices will stay the same and the iMac 21.5" models will run cooler.

If you want to continue to speculate on the 27" models, we could see an overclocked version of all of the above to improve the graphics on the base models, with discrete NVidia parts for the 'better' and 'best' but that's very much speculation on my part.

I don't expect Iris 5200 will be used in iMac because they are too much expensive. i5-4570R costs near $300, maybe more expensive than i5+dGPU.
wmy5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 09:09 PM   #15
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaellar View Post
1. cost
2. ssd (for OS and software) + traditional hdd (filedump) is the best of two worlds (speed+capacity)
3. no need in shrinking the size of storage device (there's space for both blade ssd and hdd)
You do realize cost is irrelevant to several. Also, Space is limited and I bet Apple would much rather sell you the speed and performance boost over storage.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 09:46 PM   #16
kaellar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
You do realize cost is irrelevant to several. Also, Space is limited and I bet Apple would much rather sell you the speed and performance boost over storage.
You do realize Apple never looked up to several, don't you? Plus, current gen iMac won't change its design for several years, so there IS and WILL BE space for HDD.
kaellar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:29 PM   #17
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000
 
Ddyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Two possible but unlikely things they could add are HDMI in and 1080p camera.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:01 PM   #18
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaellar View Post
You do realize Apple never looked up to several, don't you? Plus, current gen iMac won't change its design for several years, so there IS and WILL BE space for HDD.
Doesn't mean Apple can't just substitute completely for an SSD. Remember, an SSD may consume only 2W of power, where as a conventional HDD can go up to 7W... those 5W make a huge difference in the thermal scope of the iMac.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:19 PM   #19
kaellar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
those 5W make a huge difference in the thermal scope of the iMac.
You can't be serious, right?
kaellar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:22 PM   #20
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816
 
phoenixsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
More than.....

"I think....." is a " I wish....."


1-Bigger Fusion
2-Better GPU options. Or a wider choice.....
3-Haswell, for sure.....


__________________
Mac Pro 2012 3.06 Westmere version, 12 Core 64 GB RAM, 4 TB , iPhone 5 (black), Moto G 8 GB (black)
phoenixsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 08:16 AM   #21
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsan View Post
"I think....." is a " I wish....."
...
1-Bigger Fusion
...
When you say big Fusion, do you mean a larger SSD portion of the Fusion Drive, larger HD portion or both? After some though, it's possible Apple could offer 2TB and/or 4TB disks in the next iMac either in addition to or replace some of the current disk capacities. If I was ordering a new iMac right now, I wouldn't mind seeing a Fusion drive that was 256GB SSD/2TB HD as an option.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 09:00 AM   #22
Serban
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaellar View Post
Oh.. my.. god..
I do really hope you're wrong and Apple won't use iGPUs in iMacs. I actually thought there's only one desktop Cpu with 5200pro on-board, but it turns out there's the full iMac-ready bunch of them
They will not drop the dGPU because is too much difference in power. Think about it for the high end 21.5" will see at least 750M vs iris pro? at least 30% difference, and not to talk about the difference between Irir pro and 680MX/780M
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 09:11 AM   #23
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816
 
phoenixsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Exactly my tought.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
When you say big Fusion, do you mean a larger SSD portion of the Fusion Drive, larger HD portion or both? After some though, it's possible Apple could offer 2TB and/or 4TB disks in the next iMac either in addition to or replace some of the current disk capacities. If I was ordering a new iMac right now, I wouldn't mind seeing a Fusion drive that was 256GB SSD/2TB HD as an option.
Bigger overall size or bigger flash memory section....either way, we consumers gain.....

__________________
Mac Pro 2012 3.06 Westmere version, 12 Core 64 GB RAM, 4 TB , iPhone 5 (black), Moto G 8 GB (black)
phoenixsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 09:22 AM   #24
Tjosansa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
An iMac 21,5" with 660mx or 675 mx graphic card would make me thinking of buying one. Or actually then i would buy 2.
__________________
 Alot of Apple stuff 
Tjosansa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 09:26 AM   #25
kaellar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serban View Post
They will not drop the dGPU because is too much difference in power. Think about it for the high end 21.5" will see at least 750M vs iris pro? at least 30% difference, and not to talk about the difference between Irir pro and 680MX/780M
I really hope they won't go rMBP route here, since iMac doesn't need the heat and power draw reduction indeed. But you should admit, that the availability of the whole required line-up of 65w Haswell CPUs with Iris Pro does really look suspicious.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjosansa View Post
An iMac 21,5" with 660mx or 675 mx graphic card would make me thinking of buying one. Or actually then i would buy 2.
There will be no 6xx series GPUs in the next iMacs, since the whole 7xx series line-up is available already.

p.s. I wish they'd come up with 1gb 740m/750m for 21.5 models with 2gb 760m/760m BTO for the hi-end model. I'd definitely gave up my current iMac to my wife for graphics work and buy a new one.
__________________
21.5 iMac 2012 Custom: i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD | iPhone 5 16gb
kaellar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Purchasing the New iMac 2013 as a base model? jaybar iMac 10 Oct 5, 2013 08:09 AM
Maybe I should go for the base model iMac (help) ventuss iMac 3 Oct 2, 2013 06:34 AM
Base Model 2012 iMac? tears2040 iMac 8 Jan 16, 2013 10:50 PM
Base 27 Inch 2012 Imac Model beeinformed iMac 6 Jan 10, 2013 08:53 AM
Base model iPhone + base model iPad mini = conditionally, very smart cperry2 iPad 0 Oct 25, 2012 06:33 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC