Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
England
It's September on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies:

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

Photography forum tutorials:

If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from HERE when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

** To see all of our past POTD threads please see the sticky thread here **

----------

I'll kick it off with this one.

F5.6, ISO 200, 1/220, Fuji X100

9628096911_e598bf2eb7_b.jpg

Last edited:

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Emu in the Australian Outback.
When driving at night, these birds will dart out right in front of you and run across the road, often in great numbers, you can really only do 50km/h max (~30mph) safely in these areas.

le7h.jpg

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Album Art

Anybody know of a Heavy Metal band called the Steam Hammers - maybe an album cover!!!!!:D

Historical Naval Dockyard Chatham - Big Shed and PP with Nik

PS I know it wont be everyones taste!

HDC%20248%20-%20Arty.jpg

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
I can't help returning to this spot since it's literally just outside my back door. The sunsets get interesting this time of the year aided by the forest fires west of here. From last night.

75qf.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

This is what I remember the kitchen being like when I was a wee lad: the blue & white milk jug, the metal measuring cylinder (I still have one just like that...) and the brown mixing bowl. The window light, filtered through the net curtain, and the subdued colour palette, really add to the atmosphere...

qp5e.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
This is what I remember the kitchen being like when I was a wee lad: the blue & white milk jug, the metal measuring cylinder (I still have one just like that...) and the brown mixing bowl. The window light, filtered through the net curtain, and the subdued colour palette, really add to the atmosphere...

Nice light and shadows in the church yard.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
England

There was some great light in that bungalow. It was a little metal prefab from the late forties/early fifties that was used after the war. Even though I'm not from that era, being in it made me feel really nostalgic and warm inside. It was like stepping back in time to a more simpler and nicer period. It had been done out really well to depict what life was like after the war.

I know that it's a one photo per day thread but I thought you might appreciate seeing another pic from the same house as it may stir the memories some more ;)

9628078377_bcd6c54e29_b.jpg

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Reminds me of when I was a kid , too . Actually , up until around 20 years back , I could visit older relatives whose houses were furnished remarkably close to what was in that museum house . They were from the Depression Era , when folks bought something and expected it to last them out.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

There was some great light in that bungalow. It was a little metal prefab from the late forties/early fifties that was used after the war. Even though I'm not from that era, being in it made me feel really nostalgic and warm inside. It was like stepping back in time to a more simpler and nicer period. It had been done out really well to depict what life was like after the war.

I know that it's a one photo per day thread but I thought you might appreciate seeing another pic from the same house as it may stir the memories some more ;)

Both those chairs could have come straight out of my grandparents house. They never replaced anything!

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.

A strong image that as I scrolled down the page really popped when it became a panoramic type format! :cool:

Nice shot Barry and great moody sky...think I saw a few like that recently. :)

Cape St. George, Newfoundland:

PHD_3646-L.jpg

Gorgeous colours and great detail Peter.

--------------------

Found this little fella out in the front yard this morning amongst the rock roses. It was pretty small, about 40mm in body length. Wish I had the macro lens on to get even better detail and that I could have gotten a front on view, but as I went around to grab a shot from the front it took off.

_MG_3006LG_zps6e6db463.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.