Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
i have mbpr 13",and im using qtorrent and all the file destinations are set up to go to usb flash drive because of saving the ssd disk of course,but almost every big torrent i download finish in trash can so i need to do copy almost every time,its gotta be something wrong i checked 100 times settings in qtorrent and everything is set up to go to usb flash drive,im asking my self if all the big files goes to trash can so all the big files are been stored to my ssd??? then ssd will die quicky what i can do any advice?

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Are you sure that this is a problem?

The Trash is for all drives connected, so if files are in the Trash they are not necessarily on the SSD. If you put a file thats on a memory stick in the Trash then it will remain on the memory stick in a hidden .Trashes folder until the Trash is emptied.

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Are you sure that this is a problem?

The Trash is for all drives connected, so if files are in the Trash they are not necessarily on the SSD. If you put a file thats on a memory stick in the Trash then it will remain on the memory stick in a hidden .Trashes folder until the Trash is emptied.

Do you think thats normal that all you torrent files finish in trash can instead of destination folder you allready set up in utorrent?

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Do you think thats normal that all you torrent files finish in trash can instead of destination folder you allready set up in utorrent?
I don't know as I use Transmission not uTorrent.

Also depends what you mean by torrent files, whether you mean the .torrent file or the file being downloaded.

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I don't know as I use Transmission not uTorrent.

Also depends what you mean by torrent files, whether you mean the .torrent file or the file being downloaded.

The files being downloaded,btw whats the transmision?

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
The files being downloaded,btw whats the transmision?

Its a different Bittorrent client.
http://www.transmissionbt.com

Though usually I just let all the downloads go to the downloads folder on my SSD (well more recently a Fusion drive SSD+HDD) as I have plenty of space, and even if it reduces the life I don't really care if it dies in 10 years instead of 40 (just some made up numbers, with modern SSD's I don't see it as being a problem).

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I understand but you have 2 drives ssd and hdd and you tranafer all your downloads to hdd thats different thing

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
I understand but you have 2 drives ssd and hdd and you tranafer all your downloads to hdd thats different thing

No most of the time I have had a single SSD, no hard drive.

only recently I've switched to a fusion drive where data is being constantly moved between the two drives automatically.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Ill give eta to your ssd 1,5 year max

The SSD I use for this (Kingston SSDNow V+100) is around 2.5 years old, realistically I expect to retire it due to capacity before it breaks. Though I've been writing a lot more data to it (versus my newer drive) as more recently it's been taking something like 50GB+ per day writes from some imaging equipment.

My other SSD (Crucial M10) is newer at just over 1.5 years but no problems on that one either. I've been hitting it pretty hard with writes as well, and as I'm using a Fusion setup it never has more than around 4GB free. I still don't expect it to fail anytime soon.

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
All my torent files goes to trash???

The SSD I use for this (Kingston SSDNow V+100) is around 2.5 years old, realistically I expect to retire it due to capacity before it breaks. Though I've been writing a lot more data to it (versus my newer drive) as more recently it's been taking something like 50GB+ per day writes from some imaging equipment.

My other SSD (Crucial M10) is newer at just over 1.5 years but no problems on that one either. I've been hitting it pretty hard with writes as well, and as I'm using a Fusion setup it never has more than around 4GB free. I still don't expect it to fail anytime soon.

Im testing transmission now and i might say its very unstable about speed,speed vary all the time from 10kbs to 10mbs not happy with this program same files with qtorrent are keeping the same speed almost all the time,i might try bittorrent if its exist for mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.