Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've had my 13" 2012 Pro for almost a year now, and it's been well put through the paces in the past few months! However, this has lead to some wear and damages..

I plan to, nearer Xmas, get Apple to replace the whole housing on the machine (Minus the glass side of the screen). I know this will be in the £200-£300 area too, which is fine!

The keyboard had milk spilled on it during a stupid attempt to multitask up the stairs.. It works fully, but the LED lighting has never been the same. Also, I attempted to remove a few keys to check if the damage was behind them.. some of the mechanism's broke, the Backspace key snapped, but they've all been refitted (unprofessionally!) and work, though some keys fall off now durig typing. The Return key also was kind of 'flat' feeling toward the bottom when I opened the Mac, but I didn't think to tell Apple at the time.

Once, the Mac dropped in a backpack, with the MagSafe plugged in. When it fell, it fell on the MagSafe (while plugged in). This resulted in the MagSafe being crushed - still functional - but deformed. The port on the unibody frame is also dented and looks like the charger head had 'displaced' some aluminium.

There are a few deep scratches on the lid too, wouldn't mind getting these fixed!

I've fitted an SSD and Optibay in the machine, and think I've missed 2 screws inside somewhere, hopefully if I pay them, Apple will find and replace these too.

The bottom plate is completely scratched and the rubber grips are almost flat now too.

Do you think I should pay for a full housing replacement from Apple?

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
1) Apple won't replace just the top cover without the screen; those are replaced as one whole unit, and they cost about $800 to replace.

2) You'll need a new logic board for the ethernet and keyboard backlighting, that's another $800 repair.

3) Not sure what's involved in replacing the keyboard, but I know it's not a simple replacement compared to other computers.

As it stands for the top case and the logic board that's $1600 or so, plus fixing the busted keyboard and replacing the bottom case. Basically it sounds like everything on the computer needs to be replaced, which just isn't worth it. You'd be better off salvaging your SSD and optibay, and just getting a whole new machine.

Take better care of your stuff. There's no reason for a one year old, $2000 computer to be so badly damaged IMO. Post pics, I'm curious to see how bad this machine looks.

Binomio

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
Most (if not all) Apple stores and Authorized repair centers will not repair customer induced damage AT site, it will most likely be shipped to a repair center and you will be charged about $800. I am not sure if its the same process in the UK though.

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
They've already gave me a quote with the machine after seeing it in person of £140 for the top case only. So they can repair the parts I'm asking for if I pay them..

The Ethernet & Logic Board are fine. They don't need to replace the screen either, I might not bother with the top case if that's the case. They can just attach the current unit to the new parts..

I'll post pics soon..

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Hi all, I've had my 13" 2012 Pro for almost a year now, and it's been well put through the paces in the past few months! However, this has lead to some wear and damages..

I plan to, nearer Xmas, get Apple to replace the whole housing on the machine (Minus the glass side of the screen). I know this will be in the £200-£300 area too, which is fine!

The keyboard had milk spilled on it during a stupid attempt to multitask up the stairs.. It works fully, but the LED lighting has never been the same. Also, I attempted to remove a few keys to check if the damage was behind them.. some of the mechanism's broke, the Backspace key snapped, but they've all been refitted (unprofessionally!) and work, though some keys fall off now durig typing. The Return key also was kind of 'flat' feeling toward the bottom when I opened the Mac, but I didn't think to tell Apple at the time.

Once, the Mac dropped in a backpack, with the MagSafe plugged in. When it fell, it fell on the MagSafe (while plugged in). This resulted in the MagSafe being crushed - still functional - but deformed. The port on the unibody frame is also dented and looks like the charger head had 'displaced' some aluminium.

There are a few deep scratches on the lid too, wouldn't mind getting these fixed!

I've fitted an SSD and Optibay in the machine, and think I've missed 2 screws inside somewhere, hopefully if I pay them, Apple will find and replace these too.

The bottom plate is completely scratched and the rubber grips are almost flat now too.

Do you think I should pay for a full housing replacement from Apple?

I'd be really amazed if they even touched it.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
just get the topcase replaced and the magsafe port if you feel like. Im not sure if it may help in solving the back light issue.

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
Back light refers to the keyboard back light btw. The keyboard backing frame is attached to the top case, and won't be able to be left untouched if they replace it (that's what Apple said) so the keyboard should be fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.