Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monyx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Australia
Yes...I'm a G5 PMac newbie, I've got to say I was amused at how much noise the fans made especially when it kernel panicked - the gradual spin-up in speed accompanied by a faint whine reminded me of 747 turbines.
At full speed I realised why Apple made the damn thing is so heavy - just in case adequate thrust does not overcome friction on a polished table ;)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You may be the first person to be amused by a kernel panic. :p ;) :D

I agree. Knowing the G5 has that much wind power is re-assuring. I've been awaken several times in the past. I thought someone was running the vacuum at 3 in the morning. :eek:

Monyx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Australia
mad jew said:
Nice. :D

How'd you get it panicking?

Compressor V1.2.1 - it runs without fault on my G4DP but there are a number of variables:
10.3.9 vs Tiger
QT 6.5 vx QT 7.0.3
G4DP vs G5DP

After weekend of re-installing, disk repair, searching forums etc. I resorted to finishing a client DVD on the vernerable G4. I'm hoping it's bad ram and will remove 2x1Gb sticks (Apple dealer fitted) tonight and try an encode w/ 512MB

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Monyx said:
Yes...I'm a G5 PMac newbie, I've got to say I was amused at how much noise the fans made especially when it kernel panicked - the gradual spin-up in speed accompanied by a faint whine reminded me of 747 turbines.
At full speed I realised why Apple made the damn thing is so heavy - just in case adequate thrust does not overcome friction on a polished table ;)
Sounds like when I put my iMac G5 into Target Disk Mode. Only of Course yours is a 747 and mine is a little 7-seater. ;)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
You all are making me so curious and I have no way of hearing it :(

I guess I could go to the Apple store and just start hitting random keys on a PM G5 hoping something will happen.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I've had this happen to me a few times at random on my DP 1.8ghz. It'll be working fine, then all of a sudden the computer locks up, the fans go on full blast, and I've got to power the thing down. I guess this is some sort of kernal panic, though I don't see anything on the screen.

Hasn't done it lately.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
If you want to hear the fans ramp up, just run the hardware test CD

I have definitely notice a change in the fan activity since installing
the 10.4.3 update.

Hopefully 10.4.4 will take care of several issues.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
the fans on my dual 2.7 don't do much unless H.264 / DVD encoding. and the new dual core 2.0 i use at uni for the student tv station and even it don't make much noise....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.