Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shanej399

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
I'm trying to keep my grandfathered in unlimited data with Verizon. I still have an Iphone 4 for this reason but am in need of an upgrade pretty badly. I can only talk on speaker on my 4 and it's just getting old, screen is cracked and just in overall poor shape.

I'm thinking the 5c might be a good option, as it's still an iphone and it will be probably like $400 off contract.

anyone else have any ideas?

My only concern is the 5C will get dated quickly.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Your options are up to you. You can buy the iPhone 5, 4s etc. To keep unlimited you have to buy your own phone. Seems you already know that.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This is something you will use on a daily basis for probably 2 years. I think the 5C will be dumbed down, and you might not be content with it after a few months. Either spend the extra $200 and get the 5S, or get a new 5 when the price drops if you want to save a little.

elementary

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
Alternatively, if someone else in your family/immediate circle has an upgrade but is otherwise happy, you could have them use theirs to get the phone you want at a discount.

I believe Verizon places an activation lock on new contract iPhones (they must be on a plan for the first 60 days to prevent quick re-sales), but you can activate the phone on a different number — so, ex., have your brother buy an upgrade but switch the phone to your line.

This way you can pay an upgrade price for the phone without applying an upgrade on *your* line (and losing the unlimited data).

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
You have many options, more so if you have a family plan with other lines.

If it's just your single line, you can of course buy the phone at full price.

You also can use the 12 month device payment plan (not edge), where you can pay for your device over the course of 12 months while keeping unlimited. http://yourguide.vzw.com/devices/device-payment-plan/

You can buy the device off eBay or Amazon for a little less than full price once people start reselling them.

Now, if you have a family plan here are even more option.

If you have a family member who has a upgrade available on their line that they don't want to use, you can upgrade their line to the phone you want, activating it on their line, then switch it over to your line.

If you have a family member who does not have an upgrade on their line, but your line is eligible for an upgrade, you can transfer your upgrade to their line (as long as it's basic phone) and the system will ask for a new data plan to be put on that basic/dumb phone's line but it will NOT touch your unlimited data plan. Your contract on your unlimited line will be extended two years, but the plan will stay around.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
You can buy a new 5C or used 5 for around the same price. Another option is pick up a cheap dumb phone off of ebay and add a line to your account for $10/month. Then buy the 5S on that line, move it to your main line and put the dumb phone back on the added line. You end money spent will be about the same but it's less up front. Big downside is you now have an ETF to live with if you would ever need to leave.

I'm in the same boat and when upgrade time comes next year I'm probably going to go the 6C route unless they are really crippled.

rmm41486

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2012
Michigan
I have unlimited data and upgraded to an iPhone 5 in February. I went through a verizon store I found on twitter who helps people keep their unlimited data. I basically added a line they put a dumb phone on that line and the iPhone 5 was added to my main line. If interested I can send you the twitter handle or get the store number for you, maybe they can help you out too.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I have unlimited data and upgraded to an iPhone 5 in February. I went through a verizon store I found on twitter who helps people keep their unlimited data. I basically added a line they put a dumb phone on that line and the iPhone 5 was added to my main line. If interested I can send you the twitter handle or get the store number for you, maybe they can help you out too.

Any store will do that, it's what I posted above you.

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
I'm trying to keep my grandfathered in unlimited data with Verizon. I still have an Iphone 4 for this reason but am in need of an upgrade pretty badly. I can only talk on speaker on my 4 and it's just getting old, screen is cracked and just in overall poor shape.

I'm thinking the 5c might be a good option, as it's still an iphone and it will be probably like $400 off contract.

anyone else have any ideas?

My only concern is the 5C will get dated quickly.

Get the 5S at full retail. Best Buy usually has 18 months interest free. It's worth it to keep the unlimited. I did but i use around 30gb a month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.