Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched a redesign of its Bug Reporter tool (also known as Radar) with numerous improvements and enhancements, reports 9To5Mac. Specifically, the redesign adds new features such as auto-saving drafts of incident reports, additional options for forms, a streamlined file attachment system, and better organization of open and closed bug reports.

apple_bug_report_1.png
Developers tell us that the new design opens up the door for Apple to add new functionality. Additionally, the updated reporter more intuitively informs developers if their bug report has already been submitted. Other new features include improved search of filed bug reports, more intuitive attaching of files, and the auto-saving (every five minutes) of bug report write-ups.
apple_bug_report_2.png
The update for the service was originally launched in June during Apple's annual Worldwide Developer Conference, but was taken offline after several bugs and problems were found. Previously, the service was notable for having various problems, with 600 developers joining a campaign asking Apple to fix the tool in hopes of streamlining incident and bug reporting. The updated Bug Reporter is live now for members of Apple's Developer program.

Article Link: Apple Launches Redesign of Bug Reporter Tool with Improved Search, Streamlined File Attachments

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Sounds good and timely as the release of ios 7 into the "real world" is getting closer by the minute.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Finally!

The old design was almost as old as Kodiak! (The original version of OS X, where there wasn't an Apple menu and instead there was a completely non functional Apple icon at the center of the menubar.)

Last edited:

DanTheAppleMan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
UK
I sort of miss the old Panther-like styling of the old bug reporter, but in the few days this has been out it's obvious that it's far more streamlined and it is definitely easier to work with.
It's a lot easier to submit reports on mobile devices now too, however they are yet to allow uploading of images (such as screenshots) from the mobile version.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Wow, this is amazing! The old tool was such a long running joke I just assumed that at this point it was never going to be updated. I'm guessing there were a very large number of bug reports about the bug reporter, including my own. Can we now browse and view other developers' bug reports though?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Wow, just yesterday I was saying that Apple needed to drag Radar into the 20th century (or preferably the 21st) and although I haven't tried it yet, some progress is good!

grundoon

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
Huh. That went well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-01 at 12.46.11 .png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-01 at 12.46.11 .png
    19.2 KB · Views: 246

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
This may be unrelated:

I have a few Apple ID's, two primary - one for development and one for personal use. I tried unsuccessfully in the past to register alternate email addresses between accounts. Yet today I'm finally able to register alternate and notification email addresses already registered with another account with each, making certain I will receive notifications and emails from my two primary accounts.

I wonder if Apple may finally loosen restrictions on iTunes accounts, allowing users to unify purchases under one main account in lieu of requiring each account be verified for past purchases. Tim Cook hinted this would be remedied, I hope he was sincere.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Can we now browse and view other developers' bug reports though?

It doesn't seem that we can.

I tried searching for specific numbers that my own reports have been marked as duplicates of without success.

I believe this is intentional - if Apple allowed developers to see each other's bug reports, it would make the bug reporter a consolidated place to easily find security vulnerabilities that haven't yet been patched.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
At last!

The new design is possibly a bit more crowded (I'd like a smaller text size), but overall it's a big change for the better.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I believe this is intentional - if Apple allowed developers to see each other's bug reports, it would make the bug reporter a consolidated place to easily find security vulnerabilities that haven't yet been patched.

If there is still a specific Security category then it could be excluded from any "shared reports".

fluchtpunkt

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Unfortunately the new Radar only helps with the minor complains from the "Fix Radar or GTFO" campaign.

It only fixes the Web-UI. All the important stuff still applies.

I one time got a response 6+ months after reporting a bug to apple. Hopefully this will speed things up a bit too?

I have open bugs that are currently more than 2 years old.

And that's probably just because I didn't really start to report bugs like 2 years ago ;-)

gnurf

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
I have many open bugs too, in most categories. I hope this redesign also means the backend system which the people reading the bugs use is improved.

I have received responses asking for more information when I report a new bug/oversight, so I know there are real people working on them. It would be nice if the system automated a response when somebody reads it at their end too.

fluchtpunkt

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
I have many open bugs too, in most categories. I hope this redesign also means the backend system which the people reading the bugs use is improved.

I have received responses asking for more information when I report a new bug/oversight, so I know there are real people working on them.

I guess their problem is the rate at which new bugs come in.

Here are some numbers I've just pulled out of radar:

9622791 Jun 16 2011
14335281 July 2nd 2013
That's 4,700,000 reports In just over 2 years. Or 250 reports per hour. Every day. Seven days a week.

14247832 Jun 24 2013 07:41 PM
14249639 Jun 24 2013 09:32 PM
That's 1,800 reports in 1:50 hours. Or 1000 an hour. That's probably the iOS beta peak.

It would be nice if the system automated a response when somebody reads it at their end too.

While this would add nothing of value for most of us, it should work as incentive for all those people who think their bugs are never read.

Btw, Duplicates are helpful too. I've heard of many bugs that could only be solved because somebody wrote a duplicated bug report with a different approach.

That you can't search for bugs is probably a good thing for Apple. Instead of "me too" and "please fix" comments they get reports that might tell them how to trigger the bug in different ways.

But that discussion is probably as old as radar itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.