Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I bought an Apple TV 3rd gen for my bedroom, and the sound from my 24" LED TV was rubbish, so I bought a basic sound bar (Philips HTL2100/12). My TV's only audio output is 3.5mm headphones or SPDIF coax.

The sound bar takes coax AND optical inputs. So my questions are:

1) Would I best to use Apple TV > sound bar via optical, or TV > sound bar via coax? (I should add I ONLY use an Apple TV, no other devices will connect to the TV at all)

2) What settings in the Apple TV Video/Audio menu should I set? Dolby Digital on/off/auto? My content (streamed from MBP's iTunes) is a mixture of HD movies/TV shows with 5.1 AC3 audio and SD TV shows with 2 channel audio.

Details of the sound bar here:

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/home-cinema-systems/htl2100_12/prd/

Thanks!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I should add I ONLY use an Apple TV, no other devices will connect to the TV at all

Not even broadcast TV? then ATV -> soundbar fine.

2) What settings in the Apple TV Video/Audio menu should I set? Dolby Digital on/off/auto? My content (streamed from MBP's iTunes) is a mixture of HD movies/TV shows with 5.1 AC3 audio and SD TV shows with 2 channel audio.

Auto.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Not even broadcast TV?

Nope, no aerial. I have satellite TV in all the rooms I need it in. I don't need broadcast TV in the bedroom, just a way to stream my movies.

Ok. Although I have noticed that music streamed from MBP is LOUD and TV Shows/Movies are very quiet...

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Nope, no aerial. I have satellite TV in all the rooms I need it in. I don't need broadcast TV in the bedroom, just a way to stream my movies.

Ok. Although I have noticed that music streamed from MBP is LOUD and TV Shows/Movies are very quiet...

If I were you then I would check if your TV has an optical port out. Then just get an optical cable from MonoPrice. You will get the best sound this way.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
My TV only has coax out

Go coax from TV to soundbar

Edit : or if you have optical cable go from Apple TV to soundbar
Don't matter which way you go

I would go Apple TV to soundbar if you only have atv

Last edited:

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I have both setups, ATV to Soundbar on the studio and TV to Soundbar (which also has another ATV) on my folk´s. Same bars and tv, same sound as far as I can hear.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands

From what I've read, if you want 5.1 audio then set Dolby Digital to ON.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.