Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Sep 1, 2013, 03:13 PM   #1
kpg6
macrumors newbie

MBA Becomes Unresponsive Connected to External Monitor

Hello,

I have a 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5 13.3" MBA with 8GB RAM. When I attempt to connect the MBA to an external monitor utilizing the Mini Dispaly Port to HDMI adapter, the MBA screen (not the external monitor) turns completely blue, and occasionally flickers back to the normal display for a few seconds at a time, before returning and staying at the completely blue screen. During this time, the MBA becomes completely non-responsive. The external display never shows anything whatsoever (I've ensured it's on the HDMIA output) and just says 'No Signal'. I've tried it with the MBA plugged in, I've tried unplugging everything, re-starting, and plugging in first the adapter, then the cable, then turning on the monitor, and nothing seems to work.

This happens on two different external HDMI monitors. The monitors work when connected to other machines. The cables work when used for other purposes. I've read up some past issues on trying to get an external monitor to work, I've just never seen anyone comment that the actual MBA itself becomes unresponsive when connected to an external display. The second I turn off the external display when plugged in, or unplug the external display, the MBA returns to functioning normally within seconds. I'm stumped, anyone have any advice? Much appreciated.
kpg6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 04:46 AM   #2
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

It sounds like an issue with either your adaptor (I think I had a similar issue with a cheap, 3rd-party minidisplay to VGA cable) or your thunderbolt port. Does your monitor have some other ports (like DVI or VGA) which you can try? Possibly to try out the same setup with a friend's macbook?
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Boyd01
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpg6 View Post
the MBA screen (not the external monitor) turns completely blue, and occasionally flickers back to the normal display for a few seconds at a time, before returning and staying at the completely blue screen..
I just saw something similar happen this morning. I use an (ancient) Apple Cinema Display connected to my 11" 2013 MBA with a miniDisplayPort to DVI adaptor. Plugging/unplugging the screen caused the same thing to happen again. Turning the monitor on and off didn't help.

So I rebooted the MBA and everything came back up again BUT, there was no menu bar on either the internal or external screen! So I clicked on the System Preferences icon in the dock to have a look at the display settings, and before I could even do that, the menu bar re-appeared. Everything is fine now.

Weird...
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air