Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
After years of using iMovie without any problems, having upgraded to Mountain Lion and the latest version of iMovie, v9.0.9, that happy state no longer exists. :mad:

If I try to Share>Export Movie, the progress drop down box appears, but there is no progress, and iMovie quits shortly after. The same if I try to Share to iTunes or the media browser.

Sharing to Quicktime or Finalizing the Project work fine.

I've looked at numerous Google results but not come across a definitive answer. Anyone know of one?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I use the latest iMovie under 10.8.4, and it works as well as it always has. So I can only hazard a few suggestions: Repair Permissions in Disk Utility? Reboot? Re-install iMovie fro the App Store or disk? Trashing the preferences file?

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Dave i dont have Mountain Lion but i have heard that iMovie has some issue with this software.
Try open M/Lion then open iMovie and start a new event and project feed in some footage and export and see what happens. Also is your video files on an external hard drive?

Last edited:

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Hi daybreak. Yes I've tried that, no difference. I've tried with footage on an external and the internal, again, no difference.

gailoct

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2016
Sounds like this problem has been going on for years and Apple has not fixed the problem! I have IMovie 11 OSX 10.8.5 8 G Ram 1T HD. I've never had this problem before. Now IMovie will not let me export if project is over 20 minutes. I've exported projects in the past that were an hour long. It fails at the very end of the export.
What gives? I've tried all the fixes and have spent hours trying to resolve this problem. I duplicated the project and put it into a new project and it let me export it once, but when I went back to edit something it would fail at the very end. I'm having 2nd thoughts about Apple products .

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I am hazarding a guess, but Apple has been trying to deprecate QT7 for some time - old, 32-bit framework. QT7 is the underlying encoding mechanism for iMovie. The nice thing about QT7 was that it accepted plug-ins like Perian. All of this is no longer applicable, and various apps that I use, like Camtasia and Screenflow, now have a different encoding mechanism. Like I say, a guess, but these are old apps running on old OSs. New apps may have been added, or new media formats used that aren't supported in the legacy environments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.