Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
I have done quite a lot of Google searching of the Web and this site. I am not confident about what I've learned, so I need to ask some questions.

I have a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro; both run mountain lion. I want to be able to be out of town with the MacBook Pro and access the Mac Pro over the Internet. I want to be able to open applications on the Mac Pro, such as FileMaker Pro, Outlook, and possibly others. I want to remotely access the Mac Pro so that I can do work on that computer using its installed software.

What is the best way to do that so that it will work well?

Thank you.

Last edited:

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Remote access....

Sorry, it was supposed to be remote access, not remove.... :-(

Nov 28, 2010
located
Sorry, it was supposed to be remote access, not remove.... :-(

To edit your thread title, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

Nov 28, 2010
located
From what I read in a CNET review, this requires a human to be present at both computers. I won't have that.

From my personal experience, no human needs to be present on the remote computer.

Example:
  • Start the Mac Pro
  • connect it to the internet
  • start TeamViewer
  • write down the login details (ID and password)
  • go to your MBP
  • open TeamViewer
  • connect to your Mac with those login details you wrote down earlier.

Now you see, that you only need one human being for this.
The same applies for remote access, as you wrote down the login details before leaving the home, let the Mac Pro run and let TeamViewer open and let the Mac Pro being connected to the internet.

Is that understandable?

PS: As written before, I have done so myself over the distance of 50 kilometres (don't know the miles). I left my Mac at home on, left TeamViewer open, left it connected to the internet and copied the login details. Then I drove away to a job, worked a little bit and filled the time with using my iPad mini connected to the internet via wireless LAN to remotely control my Mac 50 km away. Again, the Mac at home was not supervised by anyone physically, only by me, virtually.

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Is this to say you could not end the session? If I want this to work, would I have to keep the session open for the several weeks I need it?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Is this to say you could not end the session? If I want this to work, would I have to keep the session open for the several weeks I need it?

You can quit TeamViewer on the MBP whenever you want, but the MP would have to run the whole time with TeamViewer running the whole time.
Since it would be several weeks, maybe try or ask if TeamViewer can even run such a long time while keeping the same login details. My session only went on for one day with the same login details.
And you would have to plan for the occasional hangups and even power outs and what if the MP would have a Kernel Panic whilst being connected or whilst being not connected.

Hmm, seems TeamViewer might not be such a good thing after all and you should look into more advanced configurations, of which you probably find several via using Advanced Search or MRoogle.

Nov 28, 2010
located
This is the other method I found. Do you have a reaction to it?

http://helpdesk.owu.edu/nw/mac2mac/

It could be working, but I am not proficient enough in VNC to help you with that.
You could always try, as the settings listed there are not only working when at Ohio Wesleyan University, but when you are anywhere else.

But then again, you have to set your Mac Pro to restart after power failure or have to set a routine for when the machine panics.

Why can you not take the machine with you, if you are going to Ohio Wesleyan University?

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
It could be working, but I am not proficient enough in VNC to help you with that.
You could always try, as the settings listed there are not only working when at Ohio Wesleyan University, but when you are anywhere else.

But then again, you have to set your Mac Pro to restart after power failure or have to set a routine for when the machine panics.

Why can you not take the machine with you, if you are going to Ohio Wesleyan University?

I am not going there, it is just something I found.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.