Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
samsung-galaxy-gear-venturebeat_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

samsung-smartwatch-1.jpg

Any thoughts?

Article: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/1/4683218/is-this-samsungs-galaxy-gear-smartwatch

Last edited:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I have very little interest in a smart watch but if it looks like that then I'll have no interest, period.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
For using during workouts, it could be useful. However, if that's the real thing, then forget about it.:mad: Also, that looks familiar. It easily could be fake. In three days, we shall see...

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
If that is truly what it looks like, then absolutely no interest here either.

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
I have very little interest in a smart watch but if it looks like that then I'll have no interest, period.

If that is truly what it looks like, then absolutely no interest here either.

I was expecting it to look a little rough on the design but this is really ridiculous. But we shall see the day of the announcement. And not to mention 10 hour battery life which is really bad for just a watch

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
My thoughts are, typical Samsung. Cool device with a ton of feature, but horrible design. You can bet though that this will have more features than the upcoming iwatch.

I think when it comes to design, they will base it off the iWatch's design and add a little twist to it, what ever that may be.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I have a Casio Pathfinder. It's been with me in Iraq, and Afghanistan, several military schools, on vacation, mountain biking, weight lifting, house building, camping, swimming...etc etc etc.

In that time, it's NEVER died because it is solar powered, and never failed me, not once. It doesn't have to be charged, the band has never needed to be replaced. It's been the perfect watch.

Why would I replace it with a fragile "Smartwatch" that can't go more than 12hrs without having to return to a cradle for charging?

This is the quintessential question for me? Unless Samsung, or anyone has a really good answer, I see no reason to change.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2012
I think the samsung gear will be a huge let down. It will undoubtedly only be usable with touchwiz devices. Which makes it a waste in my opinion. Make it compatible with everything!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
They should let the band be removable so you can use it as a miniphone. Might work nice for a larger phone like the note 3, you don't have to take out the larger phone, you just dial from the mini phone. But as something i would put on my wrist, hell no.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
amazing how horrible the design is when they rush to beat apple to market instead of waiting and copying their design like usual.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Update: Om Malik of GigaOm cites multiple sources who tell him that VentureBeat's Galaxy Gear is a developer prototype, and that the retail device is a "different, more finished product."

Plus the fact the reporter didnt actually get to see the prototype and only could take photos of the video. Article also states that Samsung is known to develop different variations for developers to use so as not to give much away.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Update: Om Malik of GigaOm cites multiple sources who tell him that VentureBeat's Galaxy Gear is a developer prototype, and that the retail device is a "different, more finished product."

Plus the fact the reporter didnt actually get to see the prototype and only could take photos of the video. Article also states that Samsung is known to develop different variations for developers to use so as not to give much away.

Yeah, no reason to get our knickers in a twist just from seeing that picture alone. I'd be surprised if this abomination would be the final design.

That said - I'm not really expecting the final version to look great either. I love my Note 2 and all but Samsung devices are hardly the best looking on the market. Acceptable at best. As long as they insist on having that gaudy logo all over the front... LG, HTC and now Motorola (with the X) are all doing better when it comes to design, IMO.

As for smartwatches in general, I'm not sure if the concept will really take off until someone teams up with a real watch maker and presents something along the lines of a "Casio watch with Samsung functionality" or something like that. I think to the majority, a watch is still mostly a fashion/style item, especially to those who spend big bucks on them. Apple are probably the only ones who can really pull it off right now. Personally I don't think I'd be much turned on by a Samsung watch no matter how good it looked... It would just be too nerdy :D

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
make the watch a little bit smaller, lesser the bezels and i'm in! maybe the software will be it's biggest selling point. not a lot of time left, we'll see;)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

That's fine but unless they use a smaller display, it's still going to be huge and ungainly, IMO, no matter how small they make the bezels.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I don't wear a watch and have no use for something like that. My phone is with me all the time so I see no point even if I did wear a watch.

I'm sure some will argue that you won't have to reach in your pocket which to me is rediculous. We are looking for anything that takes less effort, lol.

Last edited:

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
To be fair - even if it is ugly, some GPS watches nowadays are also ugly but are certainly good for sports.

I'd have that ugly piece o' crap with GPS and enough storage for some songs for workouts any day of the week. Just needs to be water resistend to an extend and maybe offer a premium edition with sim card slot for mail stuff too ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.