Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Lets say you're signing a new contract. If I pre-order online, there is no way I can go into an Apple or AT&T store on release day and get a phone?

What if online shipping is delayed like it was with the iPhone 5? You pretty much have to take a chance?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I love waiting like a month or two after it's released before upgrading. I got my 4S the same way. 4S was actually my first iPhone.

That way I can see everyone freak out, get their phone, and within a few days just go back to normal. I don't like being involved in the madness of iPhone release day. I still have my 4S and I still love it, so I'm not going to be rushing into line. I've been able to upgrade since mid August.

Also, because I'm crazy, I like reading posts that people make about things they like/hate about the newest iPhone, when its released and when they get it. Certain QC issues, thoughts about the phone, differences, pros/cons, etc. Then I like seeing the iPhone in person and looking for myself, then I purchase.

I can actually be a pretty impulsive buyer, but when it comes to my phone there is a process I go through. I can't blindly preorder an iPhone, even if I know what it looks like. I wait two years to upgrade so maybe that's why I'm more picky.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Your upgrade is triggered as soon as you pre-order. If shipping is delayed you cannot walk into a store and pay the subsidized price unless you cancel the pre-order, which does not reset your upgrade eligibility right away. By the time it is reset, your pre-order would have arrived anyway.

This happened last year when I ordered at 5 AM and didn't get the phone until a week after launch, when plenty were available for walk-in buyers in the days after release.

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
How hard is it to just walk in release date and buy a phone?

White too..

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
I pre ordered my 4S and I never received my email confirmation. I had to call Apple and AT&T to release my upgrade, I walked into Apple on launch day at 2 and walked out 45 minutes later with my phone. Odds are you will be able to walk in and at least get a basic phone, it's the larger capacity models that seem scarce.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay

White too..

Carriers almost always get a certain amount of phones, so you're really not guaranteed one.

Apple will have stock but you'll probably be in line for a few hours.

If you want a phone on launch day, best to preorder it, or get in line early where ever you decide to go and wait.

----------

it's the larger capacity models that seem scarce.

Usually the 16GB models go out first, from what I've noticed.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

White too..

Have you never seen an Apple store on the day of release for an iPhone? I camped out for the iPhone 4 release. Got to the store at midnight and didn't leave until 3 pm. Just order it online and wait for it to come.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Im nervous

Why?

Is it really all that important that you get your phone the day of the release. Is your life going to end if you have to wait for a few more days. Is your family going to disown you, is your wife going to divorce you and take everything.

Now, probably not. Last I checked no one needed the new IT thing in order to breath, keep their heart beating etc. You aren't going to lose the ability to walk if you don't have your iphone on launch day.

Total first world problem.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Why?

Is it really all that important that you get your phone the day of the release. Is your life going to end if you have to wait for a few more days. Is your family going to disown you, is your wife going to divorce you and take everything.

Now, probably not. Last I checked no one needed the new IT thing in order to breath, keep their heart beating etc. You aren't going to lose the ability to walk if you don't have your iphone on launch day.

This (unless you have the mentality of a 10 year old)

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

White too..

I live in a college town, and didn't preorder the iPhone 5 last year. On launch day, I walked into a corporate Verizon, and they had no problem bringing out a white 32GB version for me; I was out in less than 15 minutes, just in time to drive back and make it to my 10 o'clock o-chem class. Sent from iPhone 5.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I live in a college town, and didn't preorder the iPhone 5 last year. On launch day, I walked into a corporate Verizon, and they had no problem bringing out a white 32GB version for me; I was out in less than 15 minutes, just in time to drive back and make it to my 10 o'clock o-chem class. Sent from iPhone 5.

it helps if you aren't getting the base line model. Those tend to go first at the carrier shops

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Yes

Yes

No

Maybe

totally thinking same exact thing.. bwuahaha

----------

Why?

Is it really all that important that you get your phone the day of the release.

YES

Is your life going to end if you have to wait for a few more days.

YES

Is your family going to disown you, is your wife going to divorce you and take everything.

Probably not... but who cares. I WANT ONE. LULZ

UMADBRAH?

there answered ur questions. LULZ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.