Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
So who's pumped up for this game??? Getting released tomorrow and its sure to be a candidate for game of the year over COD and GTA5.

Anyone preordered and playing on release???

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I don't pre-order or buy a game when its just released. I refuse to pay for a game only to be a beta tester. Besides, wait a bit and the price goes down.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I really hope Aspyr releases an OS X port! The previews I've seen have me quite interested.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
I really hope Aspyr releases an OS X port! The previews I've seen have me quite interested.

Don't count on a Mac port anytime soon though. It took them 3 years to release Napoleon: Total War on Mac and 5 years for the original Rome: Total War to hit Macs.

Anyway good news is, CA themselves are exploring making the Mac port themselves. So there could be cross compatibility and no need for a 3rd party publisher to come in.

----------

I don't pre-order or buy a game when its just released. I refuse to pay for a game only to be a beta tester. Besides, wait a bit and the price goes down.

This is not SimCity or Diablo though. Total War games have been very polished from the moment of release and have needed very little patching from my experience :)

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Gonne wait for a sale before I get Rome II, but I enjoyed Rome I so it is certainly a game I'm looking forward to.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I'm holding off on this one. I've barely played Shogun II, so I'd prefer to get some mileage on that one before moving on to a new TW title. Maybe by the time I'm ready for Rome II, Feral will have ported it.

Besides, waiting for a Mac version will fit my attempt to alter my game buying behavior.

I am a Windows game buying addict... Then when I see it available for the Mac, I have to have it for collection purposes, because I'm usually done playing it altogether. So, I don't need it or plan on playing it again. I just have to have it!

It's really bad behavior on my part. Wish me luck!

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Anyway good news is, CA themselves are exploring making the Mac port themselves. So there could be cross compatibility and no need for a 3rd party publisher to come in.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that. Thanks for the info!

RockPaperShotgun's review of Rome II isn't exactly glowing (complaints of the AI underwhelming like every other TW game), but I bet with some tweaking it'll be a fun game.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Playing the game now. It will kill all MacBooks that are not current. It runs at 30fps on low settings with 1280x800 resolution. And I'm running on a 2012 MBP with 1GB 650M. Don't think the retina will fare any better. It definitely plays better on my PC.

Gameplay wise it feels the same as the original Rome. But the province system makes it more challenging and requires you to make your cities more balanced instead of stacking military or economic power on the cities. Starting off it feels harder too, I'm playing over 10 turns now and still haven't taken control of a second enemy city. Money is tighter and you can't buy units en masse to sack a city in the early stages. The game makes you think more now.

Overall it feels really good now. Really hope to progress further and see how it pans out.

9/10 so far for me :)

Goobley

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
I'm running on low with medium size units and almost all medium details (including high textures but shadows off) with the 'Unlimited Video Memory' thing turned on, on an external 1080p screen. Playing the Battle of the Nile scenario I'm very happy with performance, it rarely drops below 27 fps, I haven't had a chance to experience the campaign map yet though. This is being played on a Late 2011 15" MBP with a 512MB 6750M (overclocked to 720MHz shader and 900MHz Mem). Apparently AMD have worse driver support than NVIDIA at this time. Having some extra VRAM would certainly have been good, but I'm probably going to build a gaming PC in the near future. I can certainly get better performance at low resolution i.e. on the built in display (average near 40FPS at 1600*900), but the jaggies really come out to play, so you end up forced to turn on anti-aliasing which hits the framerate harder than staying at native res without AA, and IMO looks worse. Obviously make sure you get the latest beta video drivers for your GPU.

In the Battle of the Nile playing the Romans I just won on my first attempt on normal difficulty, but I did toy with the AI a bit first seeing how kiteable it is etc. It really doesn't seem as bad as the guys on totalwarcenter are making out, seems to me to be a small step up from shogun (at least in that scenario). All in all what I've seen so far looks quite promising, I really enjoyed shogun and would not have purchased this had shogun really had any other setting, I just wasn't a fan of feudal Japan. However I feel that Western Eurasia is just brilliant.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I'm holding off on this one. I've barely played Shogun II, so I'd prefer to get some mileage on that one before moving on to a new TW title. Maybe by the time I'm ready for Rome II, Feral will have ported it.

Besides, waiting for a Mac version will fit my attempt to alter my game buying behavior.

I am a Windows game buying addict... Then when I see it available for the Mac, I have to have it for collection purposes, because I'm usually done playing it altogether. So, I don't need it or plan on playing it again. I just have to have it!

It's really bad behavior on my part. Wish me luck!

You can do it!

I have stopped buying Windows games entirely now. Well, I have to confess that I am bound to make a special exception once in a while, like Might and Magic X. I have to have that when it is done. Well, if they don't screw it up that is. Otherwise though, if it ain't for Mac, the heck with it. I spend too much money and own too many unplayed games as it is.

It is a relief actually that the flow of Mac games is slower. I might actually catch up one day maybe. I am fine with waiting on ports personally. I have plenty to play while I wait.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
You can do it!

I have stopped buying Windows games entirely now. Well, I have to confess that I am bound to make a special exception once in a while, like Might and Magic X. I have to have that when it is done. Well, if they don't screw it up that is. Otherwise though, if it ain't for Mac, the heck with it. I spend too much money and own too many unplayed games as it is.

It is a relief actually that the flow of Mac games is slower. I might actually catch up one day maybe. I am fine with waiting on ports personally. I have plenty to play while I wait.

Sorry to add to your growing queue of Mac games to play but Might and Magic X is coming to the Mac according to a post on the developer's forum by one of the companies reps:

Hi fvives,

Thank you for your question. Yes it's true - the Early Access is currently Windows only. However we do plan to still release a Mac version - latest for the final release (when the full game is out).

Thanks,
Anna (LE-Larissa)

I have the same problem as you even though I only play games on the Mac. It's the burden we now bare (happily I might add). :)

-PN

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Sorry to add to your growing queue of Mac games to play but Might and Magic X is coming to the Mac according to a post on the developer's forum by one of the companies reps:

I have the same problem as you even though I only play games on the Mac. It's the burden we now bare (happily I might add). :)

-PN

Wow! Thank you! That is fabulous news! :D

barrett14

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Is there any precedent that will indicate whether you can download the mac version for free once its released if you buy the windows version now?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Is there any precedent that will indicate whether you can download the mac version for free once its released if you buy the windows version now?

I would not depend on that happening. Torchlight 2 was supposedly also coming to Mac but we've never seen it. Personally, I'd wait for a Mac release if that is what you want so you don't have to take anybody's word for it which may or may not be trustworthy.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Don't count on a Mac port anytime soon though. It took them 3 years to release Napoleon: Total War on Mac and 5 years for the original Rome: Total War to hit Macs.

Feral didn't take that long to port it, sometimes it takes a while for a company to agree to allow someone to make Mac versions of their games.

Edwin

stuff99

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
Anyone run this game with the current MacBook Pro retina 13" and 15"? How did it fare?

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
For me Rome II was the gaming disappointment of the year. I was really looking forward to it, bought it on launch day (what I don't do very often) and it turned out to be plain boring.

I don't know how they managed to completely ruin the enemy ai in the campaign. In Shogun II the attacked you from all sides and you constantly had to be on your guard, often praying to survive the next round with no one else declaring war.

In Rome II the enemies just sit in their towns waiting for you to destroy them, even on legendary difficulty. I stopped playing it after conquering about 1/4 to 1/3 of the map because it was just so boring.

I haven't felt the desire to try it again since then, maybe all the patches did help. Maybe I'll try it again during the christmas holydays.

redwhenexcited

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
Just to confirm Rome 2 runs great in high detail 1080p on my 2013 iMac with GT750m.

Ah fantastic! I was just wondering if you meant the 21.5" version? I've been umming and ahhing between the two, and I just don't think I can face having 27 inches of marauding hordes running around right in front of my face.

Just one more question (you may be able to tell I'm not particularly seasoned when it comes to Apple); what version of windows are you running on your partition?

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
This is my least favorite Total War game.

I say skip this and go for Shogun II. That's a fantastic game. This one.. even at patch 4, I don't like it.

The general system, (no garrisons without generals) is really dumb. It becomes this boring micro management. They took out the family tree, reducing your generals to boring nothings. Really sad. :(

Angry Joe lays down the line. Its the review that is most in line with my own thoughts; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QK-lcW8a8

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
I have to agree, luffytubby, it's been my least favourite of the series so far.

I keep going back to Shogun II but Rome II just hasn't grabbed me.

barrett14

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I bought it but haven't played more than three hours. I don't have the patience to learn what makes a successful economy in that game. I just want to build a big army and fight. I liked the first Rome better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.