Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
seeing as we have a Galaxy S4 thread and with the galaxy note 3 just a few days away thought might as well make a main note 3 discussion thread.

anybody going to upgrade?

the rumoured specs

•Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
•CPU: Quad-core Krait 400, running at 2.26 GHz
•GPU: Adreno 330
•RAM: 3GB
•Cameras: 13MP rear, 2MP front - no OIS
•Display: 5.68-inch 1920×1080 AMOLED
•Storage: 32GB/64GB iterations (up to 23 GB user-accessible memory on 32GB version), microSD expandability up to 64GB SDXC
•Connectivity: Bluetooth v4.0 with A2DP, NFC, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot
•Networks: UMTS HSPA+ 900 (Band VIII), 2100 (Band I) MHz, 850 (Band V), 1900 (Band II), 1700 (Band IV), GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz, 4G LTE
•Battery: removable 3200mAh

Eth123

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2013
Im interested in this is addition to the Xperia Z Ultra.

Only Samsungs poor design and materials will sway me to the Sony which if history dictates will be the case.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I've got an upgrade ready for the Note III. No issues here with materials and design. Been using the Note II since release and it still looks brand new.

nlr

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
London
Out of curiosity I'm thinking of switching to android but I was wondering will the note 3 last all day you think? I also heard that touchwiz and Samsung software usually slows down the device will this be the case for note 3?

Cheers

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Out of curiosity I'm thinking of switching to android but I was wondering will the note 3 last all day you think? I also heard that touchwiz and Samsung software usually slows down the device will this be the case for note 3?

Cheers
My Note 2 lasts easily a full day under heavy use and I'd be very surprised if the Note 3 does worse in that regard. The excellent battery life is one of the main points where people have been really praising the Note 2 and Samsung would be making a terrible mistake if they let people down on that point with the new version. I'm sure they've beein testing that to death.

The Note 2 is lightning fast despite Touchwiz so I wouldn't worry about the Note 3 being slow in any way. If the functionality of the skin gets in your way then just use a replacement launcher - I use Nova Prime and it doesn't slow down the phone whatsoever.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'll be buying this phone day 1 off contract. I've been torn between this, and the iPhone 5S. However the more I think about it, the more I realize the Note 3 is the better option! This phone will be an absolute screamer if those specs are true. My biggest fear is that the phone won't be released until October or November, in the states but lately AT&T is on the ball with their Android releases so we'll see! :cool:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Cheers

yeah easily. Note 2 was the best phone for battery life. I expect note 3 to be the same.

----------

I'll be buying this phone day 1 off contract. I've been torn between this, and the iPhone 5S. However the more I think about it, the more I realize the Note 3 is the better option! This phone will be an absolute screamer if those specs are true. My biggest fear is that the phone won't be released until October or November, in the states but lately AT&T is on the ball with their Android releases so we'll see! :cool:

I reckon it will be out straight away to beat out the iphone sales.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
If only they could release this one in true black color.

Oh dear god yes. If they announce a black version on Sept 4th I think I'll be cheering more for that than any other feature :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I want it to run stock android but still support the S-Pen. I won't get that. Now I have the N7 & S4 both running stock 4.3 - I just couldn't do touchwiz.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I reckon it will be out straight away to beat out the iphone sales.

I hope so. I've got a trip planned for the end of September, and it'd be nice to have it by then. It's being announced early enough in September so it's not too far out there.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I want it to run stock android but still support the S-Pen. I won't get that. Now I have the N7 & S4 both running stock 4.3 - I just couldn't do touchwiz.

As long as its rootable, does that matter? You can get to stock android, or fairly close by removing touchwiz if you root the device.

I myself prefer stock android like the Nexus phones because the updates come straight from google.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
As long as its rootable, does that matter? You can get to stock android, or fairly close by removing touchwiz if you root the device.

I myself prefer stock android like the Nexus phones because the updates come straight from google.

Yeah but what I mean is that the S-Pen wont be supported then if we remove touchwiz. I assume you mean to not remove it completely ?

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Yeah but what I mean is that the S-Pen wont be supported then if we remove touchwiz. I assume you mean to not remove it completely ?

All you can do is use another launcher, so you don't have to face Touchwiz, but remove or freeze Touchwiz will cut off lots of S-Pen features.

nlr

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
London
Do you guys think the note will get a google play edition and if not will the s4 rom work considering its the same resolution? Is cyangenmod a viable solution in 2013?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
All you can do is use another launcher, so you don't have to face Touchwiz, but remove or freeze Touchwiz will cut off lots of S-Pen features.

Yep, just cover it up with Nova launcher, works perfectly. Has anyone four d the s pen programs extracted by themselves? That may be an option if the op does go vanilla.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011

There's a rom called jelly beans that's basically stock android with s-pen abilities enabled.

Back to the note 3... I would love to get one, but I always end up getting an android phone and switching back to the iphone. I just use a lot of ios exclusive apps... FaceTime, iMessage, shared photo streams. I know There are options for these apps with android, maybe I'll look into them more for the sake of the note 3.

And I hope it has a bigger version of the s4's screen. It's so much brighter and readable in direct sunlight, something I need every day. I work outdoors 90% of my day.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
this is definitely the best phone of the year(by features), but the only downside is that it's made out of plastic. but that doesn't mean i aint getting this giganto. eagerly waiting for it's launch:D

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009

lets just hope ATT will sell this phone off contract on day 1

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
lets just hope ATT will sell this phone off contract on day 1

If they don't I have an upgrade available. However, that's a good point. I hope they do too, as I don't want to use my other available upgrade. I don't see the Note 3 being a high demand device like the S4, and iPhone 5S.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Only two more days to go and its great to hear that we might not have to wait too long before it hits the shelves after the official announcement. Those renders look absolutely stunning and this phone is gonna be beastly. I'm now seriously considering the 64GB variant but will wait for reviews and until around early to mid October before i make my purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.