Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Sep 2, 2013, 03:30 AM   #1
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502

X-Com available on Amazon for just $9.99

X-Com is currently available with all DLC on Amazon for just 9.99 of your American Dollars. Activate the code on Steam and get OSX and Windows versions.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ELJRO1E/
Old Sep 2, 2013, 03:34 AM   #2
Nermal

Looks like a good deal, but Amazon doesn't want my money.

"You're not in the US, go away. Because we haven't figured out that the Internet is international yet."
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 03:49 AM   #3
N19h7m4r3
macrumors 6502a

Amazon.co.uk only sell digital games in the UK as well.

They could make a killing if they sold everywhere, especially with the sales.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 06:18 AM   #4
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post

"You're not in the US, go away. Because we haven't figured out that the Internet is international yet."
It's actually not all down to Amazon it's also the fact that different countries have different laws and different games have different contacts in different locations round the globe making it sometimes a bit of a challenge to get all the paperwork done.

As such I think they focus on the major markets first. The US being number 1.

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 07:40 AM   #5
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502

Quote:

You can actually just register a US delivery address on your Amazon account and you can purchase.

Guide here

http://savygamer.co.uk/2013/08/29/xc...lc-pcmac-6-44/

I live in the UK and often do this to buy from Amazon US online sales.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
You can actually just register a US delivery address on your Amazon account and you can purchase.
Hmm. I've had a US address on my account for years but it still doesn't work; I even just tried setting the US address as primary (1-click) but no luck there either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
different countries have different laws
NZ law allows us to override geoblocking... the trick here is figuring out how to make it work

At least I slept well last night and aren't as frustrated as I was when I wrote my first post!
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hmm. I've had a US address on my account for years but it still doesn't work; I even just tried setting the US address as primary (1-click) but no luck there either.

NZ law allows us to override geoblocking... the trick here is figuring out how to make it work

At least I slept well last night and aren't as frustrated as I was when I wrote my first post!
Can you get someone to buy it for you and email you the Steam serial?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 09:14 PM   #8
Hackfix21
macrumors member

On Amazon it says that the system requirements are Windows. I don't have Bootcamp installed. Does this version get you access to the Steam Mac version?

Also, I have Snow Leopard and the Nvidia 9400, both of which Steam doesn't show as being supported. Does anyone know whether it nevertheless runs with this configuration?

Thanks very much.
Hackfix21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackfix21 View Post
On Amazon it says that the system requirements are Windows. I don't have Bootcamp installed. Does this version get you access to the Steam Mac version?

Also, I have Snow Leopard and the Nvidia 9400, both of which Steam doesn't show as being supported. Does anyone know whether it nevertheless runs with this configuration?

Thanks very much.
Yes, it's for Steam. The system requirements say if you have a 9400 you need to have 8GB of RAM, which sounds bizarre to me. I think you'd be OK with 4, but you'll be running it on low for sure. It does require Lion, though.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:50 AM   #10
mizaco
Banned

Great deal and the game is pure amazing! Love it! Highly recommend this buy!
mizaco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:25 AM   #11
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
Yes, it's for Steam. The system requirements say if you have a 9400 you need to have 8GB of RAM, which sounds bizarre to me. I think you'd be OK with 4, but you'll be running it on low for sure. It does require Lion, though.
Due to the shared RAM nature of the 9400M (It shares RAM with your OS) if you only have 4GB of RAM you will be using it to fit texture memory, OS memory and game memory into just 4GB of space. Simply put that's not really enough for complex games especially if your graphics card is marginal already.

If you have 8GB installed you have more headroom to cover all the memory demands lowering the chances of stuttering, you can play with 4GB but if you get stutters and slow loading (if you see this depends on your other hardware like CPU, SSD etc) it is usually because you are running out of RAM.

Your OS is having to store semi-active memory for the game on your HD and swap it in an out as needed. 8GB removes this limitation giving a smoother experience. It's not that it won't run with 4GB just we don't support the game unless you have 8GB as we know you can get large stutters on 4GB but not with 8GB.

Finally we don't make these spec rules up, we spend months testing and optimising seeing what makes the game run better and we find that 8GB is better than 4GB in this case.

Hope that cleared it all up!

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Hackfix21
macrumors member

Many thanks for the clarifications.

I'm also thinking of getting the game for my iPad mini instead. However, the iTunes app store is full of user reviews saying that it crashes/ doesn't really work on the iPad mini, even after an update was released at the beginning of August.

Edwin, I wonder whether you (or others) are able to comment on the game running on the iPad mini?

Best regards,

Eric
Hackfix21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 03:09 AM   #13
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackfix21 View Post
Edwin, I wonder whether you (or others) are able to comment on the game running on the iPad mini?
Sorry the iOS version was by 2K not buy Feral so I was not involved on the development of that version

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games