Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elvecio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
I've used my Macbook Pro 13" early 2011 for 1.5 years, and it was fine. In August 2012, i removed the Superdrive for a Samsung SSD. And it becomes a way better. I totally loved this laptop (but i think that a 1280*800 screen is not allowed to stay in a Macbook, in these days. Please, Apple, use better displays).

But now, here comes the problem. Recently my Macbook started to make an unusual noise from the fan. It's low, but it's really annoying. I noticed that when i move the notebook up and down, the noise increases for a little moment. Here's a short video that tries to explain all.
Please, come close to the speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU51oQ5anys&feature=em-upload_owner

So i tried to open the case, clean ALL the dust that normally appears after some months, but nothing. Tried to take off the fan, unmount all its pieces and clean every of them, carefully. I'm sure that the fan is perfectly clean, but the terrible sound is still there.

What should i do now?

(Sorry for some mistakes, italian user here)

Last edited:

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
It doesn't sound like much, but it's possible that your fan's going bust, since, besides the HDD, it's the only moving part inside the laptop. On my mid 2010 15" pro, the fans started grinding. I cleaned them, checked for any debris, ran with the case open, disassembled the fans and put them back together, but nothing helped. The noise (around 30-40 dB, rendered my MacBook useless in most surroundings. I ended buying replacement fans from eBay. I don't think this should be a big issue at the moment, but should the problem get worse, you can either take it to an Apple Store for a checkup, or you can just get a new fan and install it yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.