Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atlanta Bliss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Hi all,

I'm contemplating buying a second hand i-pad, there seem to be lots on ebay but I don't want to buy anything that's been stolen from someone, is there any way I can verify the i-pad is not stolen BEFORE I buy it?

Also, I'm thinking of buying an i-pad 1, all I want to do really is be able to use the internet and run i-tunes and watch an occassional film on it - is an i-pad 1 adequate for those tasks? Any suggestion of what a reasonable price would be on one of these atm? I'm in the uk.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Request the iPad serial number from the seller, then call Apple. They should be able to tell you if it's stolen.

anonnymouse

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Request the iPad serial number from the seller, then call Apple. They should be able to tell you if it's stolen.

No, they won't. Apple does not get involved in ownership disputes unless law enforcement provides a formal request for records. Check with your local law enforcement agency.

Even if they could tell you to whom it was originally registered (which they won't), it could still have changed hands legally in between that original purchaser and the one selling on eBay, for which Apple may not have records. Few subsequent owners "register" the device with Apple.

There's no way to find out with Apple. None.

Last edited:

Atlanta Bliss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Thanks for the advice. Is there a website or anything where, if I put the serial number in it will say if it's listed as stolen or missing? Or blocked?
If I do get a second hand one do I then register it with apple under my name and link it to my i-tunes account and my laptop?

thanks again for your replies.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Given how weighted eBay is to the buyer rather than the seller, I would guess that if you find it's stolen contacting Paypal (assuming you pay using them) would get your money back.

This is why I don't use eBay to sell anything, I'd use it to buy from though.

Atlanta Bliss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
thanks Moomin.

Yeah, I'm wondering if between the pay pal thing making them traceable (?) and choosing someone that's sold a lot of stuff and has good feedback that all that might add up to it being not a good place for thieves to sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.