Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Sep 3, 2013, 02:40 AM   #1
Tokyo1138
macrumors member

Question If ios 7 comes out, is an 1st gen ipad still usefull?

Like the title says. I got an family member that got one. Im curious that when ios 7 comes out i saw an posting that they want developers to update there icons to ios 7. But by then will they (the apps) still be usefull? Any help is apreciated. Many thankss.
Tokyo1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 02:48 AM   #2
WeegieMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo1138 View Post
Like the title says. I got an family member that got one. Im curious that when ios 7 comes out i saw an posting that they want developers to update there icons to ios 7. But by then will they (the apps) still be usefull? Any help is apreciated. Many thankss.
iOS 7 isn't compatible with the 1st Gen iPad, in fact neither is iOS 6. The last version of iOS the 1st gen received was iOS 5 which, for now, is the furthest back most major apps go in terms of compatibility.

Apps which still support the 1st gen will continue to do so until such a time as the developer updates the app and changes the system requirements to run them. That could happen with iOS 7, it may not.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 02:49 AM   #3
Macman45
macrumors G5

Well, it's not going to be upgradeable and hasn't been since 6, but I have friends who still find their old Ipad's useful...Web browsing, listening to music etc. Still a lot of them out there in daily use.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 02:49 AM   #4
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

If all else fails it would make an excellent place mat. Thinking outside the box.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 03:20 AM   #5
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Its not about icons but actual apps only being compatible with iOS 7 and up. It's already the case with apps that have been updated to be iOS 6 compatible and up and the original iPad can't run them. It will still be useful of course just less and less apps will be compatible over time and existing ones might not be updatable to new versions (but could still be used as before usually).
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 03:38 AM   #6
Tokyo1138
macrumors member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
iOS 7 isn't compatible with the 1st Gen iPad, in fact neither is iOS 6.
This i already knew. Also because of the fact the first wasnt compatable with 6. Its jsut im curious about when developers updáte there software to ios7 that it will still work with the first ipad. Though she doesnt do much just a little internet, but mostly banking btw. Thanks for the fast responces guys

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
If all else fails it would make an excellent place mat. Thinking outside the box.
Lol. Well know its not even great for that. Cause ofit uneven back nice try though
Tokyo1138 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 04:41 AM   #7
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

I have a 1st gen iPad and I only watch movies from iTunes and stream netflix. Works for me.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 04:47 AM   #8
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
This i already knew. Also because of the fact the first wasnt compatable with 6. Its jsut im curious about when developers updáte there software to ios7 that it will still work with the first ipad. Though she doesnt do much just a little internet, but mostly banking btw. Thanks for the fast responces guys[COLOR="#808080"]
It's up to devs to the extent they include backwards compatibility with iOS. To be honest I expect iOS7 to lead to a significant reduction in iOS5 support in practice I'm afraid.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 08:10 AM   #9
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

Still good for general Safari usage or for things like music or movies synced from iTunes. Still supports iCloud, so things like Calendar are still usable too.

I would say it's still useful for basic tasks, but as third party apps continue to get updated, it will begin to show its age more and more.
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 08:49 AM   #10
APhillyApple
macrumors regular

Of course it will still be useful. Only when the lights go out!
APhillyApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:01 AM   #11
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

If it was still useful on September 9th, it will still be useful on September 10th.. (or transpose to the actual official release date)...

Devices don't automatically die the day a hardware or major software upgrade happens... although manufacturers would love it!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:16 AM   #12
gopnick
macrumors regular

Others have covered it well: it's still useful, but it definitely won't run the new stuff.

I did recently upgrade my son's iPad (that he shares with his younger sister) to an iPad Mini, 16 GB Wi-Fi. A lot of the new children's apps require iOS 6 or higher. This is probably less important for a person who just wants to use it for Internet, email, and downloading some digital media.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Tokyo1138
macrumors member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
It's up to devs to the extent they include backwards compatibility with iOS. To be honest I expect iOS7 to lead to a significant reduction in iOS5 support in practice I'm afraid.
and that what im afraid of a bit... its still an alright ipad 64gb+celluar though i little sluggish after a while... she could get an mini. but she about 80 years old lol. its an mini alright for old people?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:09 PM   #14
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
This i already knew. Also because of the fact the first wasnt compatable with 6. Its jsut im curious about when developers updáte there software to ios7 that it will still work with the first ipad.
No it wouldn't be. You would have to be iOS 7. You can't on that model so you are stuck with the last version of the apps that worked with iOS 5. Which is fine if it's fine with the user.

----------

Quote:
its an mini alright for old people?
There s no single answer for that. Because not all old people are the same. She would have to try it herself to know if it is alright
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Tokyo1138
macrumors member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
No it wouldn't be. You would have to be iOS 7. You can't on that model so you are stuck with the last version of the apps that worked with iOS 5. Which is fine if it's fine with the user.

----------

There s no single answer for that. Because not all old people are the same. She would have to try it herself to know if it is alright
thanks for the advice chalituna. though she is a bit on herself... once problems will arise with the ipad i will take her to see what else they got on display. plus they are plans the open a genuine apple store here in the netherlands (the second) so i could show her that
Old Sep 3, 2013, 01:05 PM   #16
atteligibility
macrumors regular

This is a valid question, I am a developer and have been struggling with this issue.
See, iOS7 makes it harder to be backward compatible than previous versions of iOS. iOS6 compatibility is not as big of an issue as iOS6 already had introduced layout APIs (autolayout) that simplifies layout management for different systems (screen sizes, layout changes between different versions of iOS,etc...).
But making apps compatible for both iOS5 and iOS7 can be a real challenge, so many developers talk about dropping support for iOS5, which would drop support for iPad1. We are not excited about that as we have many customers with iPad1, but we have only so much time to make everything work...
atteligibility is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 01:17 PM   #17
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atteligibility View Post
This is a valid question, I am a developer and have been struggling with this issue.
See, iOS7 makes it harder to be backward compatible than previous versions of iOS. iOS6 compatibility is not as big of an issue as iOS6 already had introduced layout APIs (autolayout) that simplifies layout management for different systems (screen sizes, layout changes between different versions of iOS,etc...).
But making apps compatible for both iOS5 and iOS7 can be a real challenge, so many developers talk about dropping support for iOS5, which would drop support for iPad1. We are not excited about that as we have many customers with iPad1, but we have only so much time to make everything work...
Quite a few dropped iOS 5 support even with just iOS 6 being out. Still, if you already had/have an app that is compatible, and a new version becomes incompatible, you still get to keep the compatible versions and generally speaking it will still work just fine (without you getting any newer upgrades or fixes of course).
Old Sep 3, 2013, 01:37 PM   #18
CarlosQG
macrumors 6502a

I still use an iPad 1 for heavy-duty iWork work, web browsing, movies, taking notes, etc. and with the beautiful iOS 7 theme from Cydia I even got transparent white keyboard and some UI candy.

I'm getting the iPad 5 with full iOS 7 experience this December though.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 02:41 PM   #19
dannyyankou
macrumors 68020

Of course it'll still be useful. It just won't be as fast.
dannyyankou is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 02:48 PM   #20
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
Of course it'll still be useful. It just won't be as fast.
It will be no faster or slower than before iOS 7, since the release of iOS 7 won't really affect it one way or another (until more and more apps start upgrading and perhaps excluding iOS 5).
Old Sep 3, 2013, 02:51 PM   #21
teknikal90
macrumors 68000

The first gen iPad was designed to look at photos, read books, browse the internet and do emails. A laptop extension.
it can do all that with iOS 5. It doesnt need iOS 7.

the iPad 2 was designed to do all of the above but with the addition of skyping, taking pictures, and gaming. aka starting to be more of a laptop replacement than a laptop extension. Hence why iOS 7 is a good update for what the iPad 2 was meant to be.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:16 PM   #22
dannyyankou
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
It will be no faster or slower than before iOS 7, since the release of iOS 7 won't really affect it one way or another (until more and more apps start upgrading and perhaps excluding iOS 5).
Oh, I meant that it won't be as fast as newer iPads. Doesn't really matter though because iOS 7 isn't being released on the 1st gen iPad. My bad.
dannyyankou is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 08:39 AM   #23
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It really, really won't be useful.
Send me a PM and I'll give you my address for you to ship it to.
Glad I could help.
Gjwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7