Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:30 AM   #1
MacKenzie999
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to MacKenzie999
Home network question

Not specifically a mac question, but I find the smartest guys on this board so figured I'd try here first.

My home wireless network supports quite a few devices: two Tivos, an Apple TV2, a PC laptop, an iMac, two iPhones, an iPad, an M-Cell, probably something else I'm forgetting. Traffic isn't super-heavy on all of those all the time, but it's a good number of devices feeding off my cable-provided internet served by my Rosewill IEEE 802.11 N 2.0 router. Also my Mac Pro is hardwired to the network. The laptop uses a powerline network adapter.

All that being said...I'm considering two more things to the mix: wireless subwoofer for my home theatre, and a wifi-programmable thermostat. Is there a point where I can have too many devices on the network, and is there a better router technology I could be employing? My home is pretty small so I don't think repeaters are really necessary, but I am open to any and all suggestions. I haven't installed the thermostat yet and would be willing to give that up if strongly recommended.

My tech skills are probably on the lower end of average for this board, so be gentle.
Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Adding a couple more low impact devices like that will not cause a problem at all.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 02:58 PM   #3
MacKenzie999
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to MacKenzie999
That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 09:15 PM   #4
WANGOOROO
macrumors newbie

This should be fine, but do ensure all devices are using 5 GHz not 2.4
WANGOOROO is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking