Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple having issued invitations for its September 10 media event where it is expected to introduce its next-generation iPhone 5S and 5C models, MacRumors has learned from a reliable source that the company has already begun shipments of at least some of the new hardware into the United States.

As is not unheard of for the company, Apple is already beginning to stockpile units in the United States for quick distribution to carrier partners, other third-party retail partners, and its own channels. With the new iPhone hardware expected to be introduced at next Tuesday's media event, Apple's pattern with previous releases suggests that the new models would launch in the U.S. and other first wave countries about a week and a half later, with Friday, September 20 being the most likely date.

blue_white_yellow_iphone_5c_packaged.jpg
C Technology, which has been posting a number of photos of alleged iPhone 5C units, packaging, and manuals, has also claimed on its Sina Weibo account (via @MobilesPie) that 1.2 million iPhone 5C units were shipped to the United States yesterday.

With the packaged iPhone 5C units showing up in a number of photographs over the past few days, it seems reasonable to believe that the device may indeed be ready for shipment ahead of next week's media event. Little to no specific evidence of iPhone 5S units being ready for shipment has been seen, and it is unclear whether that device is included in the U.S. shipments we are hearing about.

Article Link: Shipments of New iPhone Models Begin Arriving in the U.S. Ahead of Next Week's Media Event

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I'm glad to hear units are arriving already and all...

But that 5C packaging is hopefully fake, it all looks like cheap Chinese ripoff packaging.

netvvork

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
tease me

wow. nothing left up the imagination anymore. i was looking forward to some surprises at the keynote. i still check this site 200 times a day though :rolleyes:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
This means they are already loaded with iOS7 GM.

Wonder when they started flashing it. This time last week? 1.2million devices flashed with firmware could be quite a bit of man/machine hour.

----------

I'm glad to hear units are arriving already and all...

But that 5C packaging is hopefully fake, it all looks like cheap Chinese ripoff packaging.

Looks like typical Apple iPod packaging.

latts

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
Manufacturing

I guess this being a plastic shell (as apposed to chamfered aluminium) the production yields are a lot higher and so Apple shouldn't have the same problems with stock they had with the iPhone5 (or will have with the 5S).

And let's face it from the rumours internally they've had the same set-up for 1 year

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
32 GB models have been available for a while now.

You missed the point I think. No one knows if they will on purpose separate the 5C and 5S as was mentioned earlier. 5C may be 16GB only. 5S may start at 32GB as a way to differentiate the "premium" model.

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
Please, god, let there be 32gig models.

Not going to happen. 16GB for the 5C, 5S starts at 32GB. That will help differentiate the two models.

It's already confirmed by ctechcn that the 5C has 16/32/64GB devices, do more research before saying not going to happen.

The iPhone 5C will use a 4-inch screen, 1136 × 640 resolution, powered by a dual-core processor with 1GB of RAM, with 16/32/64GB three capacity versions available. The machine is also equipped with a 1.2-megapixel front facing camera and 8-megapixel rear camera with similar iPhone 5 1080p video recording and FaceTime features. In addition, iPhone 5C will be logical equipped with Apple's latest iOS 7 operating system.

Last edited:

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
OTA updates

doubt this will happen we have not even seen the GM version of iOS 7

I'm not sure that they have to be installed with iOS7 GM after all because now that we have incremental OTA updates the phone could just update itself on first launch if necessary.

Sure, that's not ideal, but a 30MB download isn't going to be to big an upset.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
I'm not sure that they have to be installed with iOS7 GM after all because now that we have incremental OTA updates the phone could just update itself on first launch if necessary.

Sure, that's not ideal, but a 30MB download isn't going to be to big an upset.

the new iphones are not going to come with a outdate version of iOS they will come with the iOS 7 gm build.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.