Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple might be planning to unveil an upgraded Apple TV or similar television-related product at its upcoming September 10 iPhone event, according to global trade intelligence platform Panjiva (via GigaOM).

The company has shared three bills of lading from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that show Apple accepted three shipments labeled as "Set Top Boxes" during the month of August from one of its suppliers, BYD Precision Manufacture in Shenzhen, China.
On August 25th, Apple received a shipment described as "Set Top Box with Communication Function" from BYD Precision Manufacture in Shenzhen, China.

On August 18th, Apple received another shipment, again from BYD, described as "Set Top Boxes."

And on August 11th, Apple received its first shipment from BYD of "Set Top Box with Communication Function."
The shipments, received on August 11, 18, and 25, ranged in size from seven to 18 tons. Though the weight of the shipments were recorded, no information about the size or the dimension of the contents were noted, nor was a model number offered, so it is unclear what the boxes contain. An existing Apple TV weighs approximately one pound, which means the three shipments could contain approximately 90,000 Apple TVs.

product-product.jpg
According to Panjiva, Apple last received a "set top box" shipment in December of 2012 from Foxconn, which turned out to be a shipment of the third-generation Apple TVs with a model number of A1427. It seems, however, that there may be missing records as Apple reported selling more than two million Apple TVs during the holiday quarter of 2012, likely necessitating regular shipments of the product.

Based on the historical lack of shipment records and the total size of the received shipments, it is unclear whether the records shared by Panjiva hint at a new product or if they simply reference a standard shipment of the existing Apple TV. Apple often shifts its supplies and suppliers, and BYD Precision Manufacture is a relatively new partner for the company. Apple has received just four shipments in total from BYD, the three "set top box" shipments and one shipment labeled "PC Portable" on August 18.

While it could be a standard product shipment, the Apple TV is due for an update. It was last refreshed in March of 2012, though the current Apple TV did receive a smaller A5 chip earlier this year. It is also possible that Apple is planning to introduce an entirely new product, though it is unlikely to be the much rumored Apple-branded television set.

Over the past several months, Apple has been working to fortify its Apple TV content offerings by introducing a number of new channels. In June, WatchESPN, HBO GO, Sky News, Crunchyroll, and Quello were added, and in August, Apple debuted channels for Vevo, the Smithsonian, and Disney. Deals with TWC and The CW are also said to be in the works.

Article Link: Mysterious 'Set Top Box' Shipment Records Hint at Refreshed Apple TV Coming Soon

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Eh. Couldn't really care less about the Apple TV. iTV, that's another story. Doesn't the Chromecast, that's 65% cheaper put the Apple TV to shame anyways, price-performance wise?

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
I would love to get an apple powered ip tv system and ditch "cable" TV. Please apple. Make it happen. Spend some of those billions to make the impossible possible. No more dvr. No more flipping channels.

fjanderson94

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2011
NH
I love my apple tv, i just wish it was more intergraded or had more content. cant wait if this update is legit.

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
i would love to get an apple powered ip tv system and ditch "cable" tv. Please apple. Make it happen. Spend some of those billions to make the impossible possible. No more dvr. No more flipping channels.

can i get an amen!!!

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Eh. Couldn't really care less about the Apple TV. iTV, that's another story. Doesn't the Chromecast, that's 65% cheaper put the Apple TV to shame anyways, price-performance wise?

Considering Google 'broke' the Chromecast already via an update already, no. The AppleTV is a proven product with a large install base.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
That much rumored (and anticipated) Apple-branded TV. Due for release when Star Wars Episode 9 Blu-Ray and digital download hit the stores. This Apple-branded TV (or iTV) better have holographic capabilities or I'll be sorely disappointed :D

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I bought a third gen. Apple TV back in November '12. What has held me back from buying a couple more for our home was the nagging feeling that it was up for a refresh. Hope it will be updated do that I can purchase at least another one for the bedroom.

Last edited:

netvvork

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011

chromecast is intriguing at best. its not even close to being ready for prime time yet. my friend who just bought one says that its slow as ***** and that anyone who is used to their electronics being "snappy" will want to pull their hair out while using this. 65% cheaper? sure. 65% less content? sure. 65% slower. possibly. puts the apple to shame? hardly.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
If it's an atv it's probably just a refresh to support AC wifi.

It seems trivial to just upgrade to .ac wifi but then again, the smaller A5 was very trivial as well. Perhaps there is more than meets the eye...? Perhaps not.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Considering Google 'broke' the Chromecast already via an update already, no. The AppleTV is a proven product with a large install base.

Well to be fair if it's 65% cheaper it still only needs to provide 40% of the function to "put it to shame".
It's not broken it's just been "Value-engineered".

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
I love my apple tv, i just wish it was more intergraded or had more content. cant wait if this update is legit.
They have been adding some new channels. Sure some of the new ones are not for everyone but it is at least a good sign that they are starting to add more to the Atv and might finally push it out of the "hobby" stage. Maybe some more content may be revealed next week as well. :) :cool:

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc

it wasn't "broken". koush hacked it/reversed engineered a non-final, non-public api then whined about it when google simply just updated a beta api.

also.. google made it clear with this:

https://developers.google.com/cast/release-notes

Warning: The current Google Cast SDK is a preview SDK intended for development and testing purposes only, not for production apps. Google may change this SDK significantly prior to the official release of the Google Cast SDK. We strongly recommend that you do not publicly distribute any application using this preview SDK, as this preview SDK will no longer be supported after the official SDK is released (which will cause applications based only on the preview SDK to break).

and also:

We’re excited to bring more content to Chromecast and would like to support all types of apps, including those for local content. It's still early days for the Google Cast SDK, which we just released in developer preview for early development and testing only. We expect that the SDK will continue to change before we launch out of developer preview, and want to provide a great experience for users and developers before making the SDK and additional apps more broadly available.

ps.. i hope that "PC Portable" means the haswell rmbp's.. i'm so tired of waiting!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.