Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
I searched but didn't come up with an answer.

Can anyone tell me why the hbo go app on my apple tv is asking to reverify my apple tv?

its annoying to have to do this every so often. is their a way to make the verification process permanent? I know its tied to my Fios account which has never lapsed.

TIA

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I don't know why, but I had this issue with HBO Go verification through my own fios service. It got really annoying but eventually it "took" and I didn't have to keep re-verifying. In the end it didn't matter, since I dumped my cable connection. I just got tired of all the issues like this and the price.

If you've got an ipad or iphone--its much easier to sign into HBO GO on there and just use airplay.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Because Apple isn't controlling the authentication system and those who are are jumpier than jackrabbits at a bald eagle convention - afraid their content will 'escape'.

slimjimtx

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
If you've got an ipad or iphone--its much easier to sign into HBO GO on there and just use airplay.

My experience with this has been that the iOS app signs you out after a period of inactivity, so I still have to type in my e-mail address and password (pretty much) every time you use the mobile version...

FWIW, I don't recall having to reverify any of my Apple TV devices, but I'm using UVERSE rather than FiOS...

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
PURE SPECULATION: I wonder if it isn't the ATV itself, but possibly that you're getting a different public IP address from your provider when your DHCP lease is renewed. HBO's servers may see that IP jump as a reason to ask for re-verification.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Do you think running it by LAN instead of wifi will help? Hmmmm that would be about a 50' cable....hmmmm.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
PURE SPECULATION: I wonder if it isn't the ATV itself, but possibly that you're getting a different public IP address from your provider when your DHCP lease is renewed. HBO's servers may see that IP jump as a reason to ask for re-verification.

As long as the public-facing device doesn't change or go offline for an extended period of time, very unlikely. DHCP, while dynamic, will give you the same address as long as your device still has the "lease" on that address. My work laptop, while going home every night and weekend (and even offline for a week of vacation) maintains the same "dynamic" address that it's had forever and I don't have an address reservation.

Do you think running it by LAN instead of wifi will help? Hmmmm that would be about a 50' cable....hmmmm.

Won't help with a public-facing IP issue (if the post by Lord Hamsa is why you consider this option), that's beyond the connection from the ATV to the router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.