Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube channel Unbox Therapy has posted a new video showing what appears to be the rear shell and front panel of the next-generation iPad, with size comparisons to the current full-size iPad. The enclosure in the video is consistent with previous leaks including a set of photos last week also claiming to be of the front panel and digitizer of the next generation iPad.

The new video, which offers a good overview of the parts, also highlights the separate up and down volume buttons on the side of the upcoming device, refined speakers, and an overall narrower design measuring two-thirds of an inch less than the current model.

Various leaks pertaining to Apple's full-sized iPad have surfaced in recent months, including photos of the tablet's silver rear shell as well as additional photos of the black iPad 5's front components. The new design takes strong design cues from the iPad mini, with Apple also reportedly using the same touch panel technology as in the iPad mini to reduce size and weight.

Apple will reportedly release the thinner full-size iPad and the next-generation iPad mini in the final three months of the year. The company is holding an iPhone media event on September 10, but it will not include the introduction of the refreshed iPad line.

Article Link: New Video of Assembled iPad 5 Enclosure Shows Smaller iPad Mini-Inspired Design

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The only reason I chose an iPad mini over the full-size one was weight.

It looks like Apple will lighten the iPad quite a bit with the 5. Can't wait to go back to a retina iPad.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
This is the irritating part! We all know for a fact what its going to look like. We have enough renderings, schematcis and a whole lot of pictures (fake or real) to attest that. There has been so many leaks, all of the same thing. Nothing which talks about internal specifications, camera, colours, new features, nothing substanial. Kind of weird! maybe the iPhone launch will give us some insight.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This is going to be a huge jump coming from my iPad 2. I'm so freaking excited! Hope it comes with at least 2GB of ram so that when Lightroom for iPad comes out next year it will be smooth sailing. I'm also hoping for 32/64/128GB for $499/599/699. I'd like to pick up a 128GB model with LTE+GPS and then I'll be all set for a few more years. A quad-core A7 would be icing on the cake, but I imagine difficult to squeeze into such a smaller package?

Does anyone else wish that Apple would add a Wacom-esque pressure sensitive digitizer BTO option for $100 more? I'd totally pay for that, maybe even $150 more. Otherwise I'm going to look into these new pen options. Anyone have advice on the best one? I'd like to use my iPad to do more sketches and illustrations.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
This will be my first iPad purchase and if I'm honest I can't wait. Roll on October!

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Interesting that the (purported) thickness is essentially the same as that of the iPad 4th gen, but with more squared-off edges. Assuming a similar density to the iPad 4, and the width being reduced from 18.5cm to 17cm, then perhaps the weight will only drop by the same ratio - (17/18.5) x 652g = 600g.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
Interesting that the (purported) thickness is essentially the same as that of the iPad 4th gen, but with more squared-off edges. Assuming a similar density to the iPad 4, and the width being reduced from 18.5cm to 17cm, then perhaps the weight will only drop by the same ratio - (17/18.5) x 652g = 600g.

I have an iPad 4 and I'd upgrade if it's recognizably lighter. If not, I'll wait for the next update to see if any features are added.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
This is the irritating part! We all know for a fact what its going to look like. We have enough renderings, schematcis and a whole lot of pictures (fake or real) to attest that. There has been so many leaks, all of the same thing. Nothing which talks about internal specifications, camera, colours, new features, nothing substanial. Kind of weird! maybe the iPhone launch will give us some insight.

You make a good point. It might make sense to let case components leak to get people excited about the new design. The cosmetics are what people get excited about (see iPhone S grumblings). Keep the internals secret because that's their ace, that's what they play down but secretly rely upon.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
I am torn between the mini 2 and 5 as well. For me it's all about weight. The iPad 2 came in at 600g while the mini is 300g. If the 5 can come in somewhere in the middle I'll probably go for that. 400g and I'd be thrilled.

Also, I wish that the bezels on the other sides were shaved down as well. These are the sides you hold it in landscape mode and with the bezels the length they are now it's hard for your thumbs to reach the entire keyboard.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I have an iPad 4 and I'd upgrade if it's recognizably lighter. If not, I'll wait for the next update to see if any features are added.

Same here but w/ a 3. Weight is the key spec I'm looking at with the 5. But even if it comes in a 1.33 Lbs (iPad 2 weight), it's a denser form factor so 1.33 Lbs on the 5 may feel like 1.5 Lbs of the 3 or 4. Definitely looking forward to the reviews.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I am torn between the mini 2 and 5 as well. For me it's all about weight. The iPad 2 came in at 600g while the mini is 300g. If the 5 can come in somewhere in the middle I'll probably go for that. 400g and I'd be thrilled.

Also, I wish that the bezels on the other sides were shaved down as well. These are the sides you hold it in landscape mode and with the bezels the length they are now it's hard for your thumbs to reach the entire keyboard.

If they even get it down to 500g I'd be incredibly impressed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.