Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:05 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

VMware Fusion 6 Brings Updated Virtualization Support for OS X Mavericks and Windows 8.1

Following last week's introduction of Parallels Desktop 9, VMware has announced the launch its new VMware Fusion 6 virtualization software, adding support for OS X Mavericks and Windows 8.1, as well as a number of other new features.
Quote:
- Designed for Mac OS X Mavericks - Extend the unique features of Mavericks to a Windows environment, such as taking full advantage of every display connected to a Mac with multiple display support and enhanced dictation support in Windows applications.

- Ready for Windows 8.1 - Get the most out of Windows 8.1 by running Windows Store applications side-by-side with Mac applications. With VMware Fusion 6, users can access Windows Store applications in Launchpad or the Applications folder and put them in the Dock in Unity mode.

- Optimized for the Latest Macs - VMware Fusion 6 is optimized for the latest Macs taking advantage of Intel's latest Haswell processors for even better battery life and even faster performance when running Windows applications.

- Create the Most Powerful Virtual Machines - Create virtual machines with support for up to 16 vCPUs, 8 TB virtual disks, and up to 64 GB of memory to run the most demanding Windows applications on a Mac.

- Enhanced User Interface - From its streamlined user experience and improved PC migration assistant, to easier installation of Windows and more granular selection of computer resources, everything has been enhanced to give users an even better way to run Windows on a Mac.
A more advanced VMware Fusion 6 Professional version is also available, adding greater flexibility for restricting and expiring virtual machines, linked clones for easily creating multiple copies of virtual machines, and more.

Available through the VMware Store, VMware Fusion 6 is priced at $59.99 while VMware Fusion 6 Professional is priced at $129.99. Users upgrading from version 4 or 5 can receive discounted pricing of $49.99/$69.99, while any customers who purchased VMware Fusion 5 on or after August 1 can receive a free upgrade to version 6.

Article Link: VMware Fusion 6 Brings Updated Virtualization Support for OS X Mavericks and Windows 8.1
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Elbon
macrumors 6502

Boo. I bought Fusion 5 on July 6. No free upgrade for me. :-(
Elbon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:10 AM   #3
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

I prefer Fusion over Parallels but am not so happy about them now having two versions.
ValSalva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

and let the parallels vs fusion arguments begin!!
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:22 AM   #5
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

It was about time. Now I only need my Haswell Retina 13" with 256SSD and Mavericks to test this
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Preclaro_tipo
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Preclaro_tipo
Crashes upon startup

I installed it, it replaced VMWare Fusion 5. It crashes each time it attempts to launch. I restarted. will reinstall now. I don't have a list of things to try, to fix it.
Preclaro_tipo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Daalseth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
and let the parallels vs fusion arguments begin!!
VirtualBox!!
Because I'm cheap!
Daalseth is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:24 AM   #8
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

If anybody wants to get a taste of virtualization without paying for software, I'd highly recommend Oracle's VirtualBox.
AngerDanger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Zerozal
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
I prefer Fusion over Parallels but am not so happy about them now having two versions.
The "Pro" split was introduced last year with v5.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:26 AM   #10
alent1234
macrumors 603

can you play games with this or is parallel's better?
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:26 AM   #11
tigres
macrumors 68040

damn, these yearly required upgrades are so tiresome. I think I have paid them nearly a grand over the years.

Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:27 AM   #12
j_maddison
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to j_maddison Send a message via MSN to j_maddison Send a message via Yahoo to j_maddison Send a message via Skype™ to j_maddison
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daalseth View Post
VirtualBox!!
Because I'm cheap!
I don't think you're cheap, it seems like only yesterday I updated to Fusion 5. This annual payment hike is tiresome
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:31 AM   #13
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerozal View Post
The "Pro" split was introduced last year with v5.
Ah, thanks. I'm still on version 4. Seems like the Pro version is more for real enterprise customers. Can't see any reason as an individual to get it.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:33 AM   #14
shaunp
macrumors 6502

I'll wait until mavericks is released and become stable before I upgrade fusion. Don't see the point on been an early adopter on this one.
shaunp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:33 AM   #15
jameslmoser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preclaro_tipo View Post
I installed it, it replaced VMWare Fusion 5. It crashes each time it attempts to launch. I restarted. will reinstall now. I don't have a list of things to try, to fix it.
Same here.... let me know if you solve the problem.
jameslmoser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:36 AM   #16
fahlman
macrumors member

Quote:
Log in as a different user, create a temporary test account if necessary, to see if it's system-wide or not. If it works in the test account then you know the problem is inside the original user's home folder. Start by removing any Fusion-related preference files found in /Users/username/Library/Preferences to the Desktop. Do the same with any Fusion-related files isn /Users/username/Library/Application Support. Open Fusion again after removing these files.

If you have problems in the test account too follow the same steps as above in the /Library folder.

It's important to remember not to delete the files. Also remember the original location of the files when you remove them so they can be moved back if necessary. I usually recreate the folder structure inside a folder on my Desktop.

Post back your results or additional questions.
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated, opinions expressed herein are those of fahlman and do not necessarily represent the views of MacRumors.com

Last edited by fahlman; Sep 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: correct typo
fahlman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:38 AM   #17
Krazy Bill
Banned

I will give Parallels 1 week after the release of Mavrix to fix the USB port dilemma in version 8. Don't want to pay $50 for an upgrade. Don't want to go to VMware.
Krazy Bill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:47 AM   #18
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

The cost of the upgrade on a yearly basis is ridiculous. I understand they need to be paid for their work, but $50 a pop is to much. Bootcamp & Virtualbox are not real options, but I may soon have to consider looking them over again.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:48 AM   #19
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
The cost of the upgrade on a yearly basis is ridiculous. I understand they need to be paid for their work, but $50 a pop is to much. Bootcamp & Virtualbox are not real options, but I may soon have to consider looking them over again.
Why isn't virtualbox a real option? I've never used it, just curious.
ghostface147 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:50 AM   #20
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
why do you have to upgrade every year? just use the software until you have to upgrade
alent1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:52 AM   #21
Preclaro_tipo
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Preclaro_tipo
Okay, created a fresh Log in account. same issue. the window is different because it is attempting to set up a new PC or select existing but it crashes right away.

I cleared out the VMWare files within the global /Library directory. (recreating the files in a folder on the desktop.)

Same result, hard crash upon launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahlman View Post
Log in as a different user, create a temporary test account if necessary, to see if it's system-wide or not. If it works in the test account then you know the problem is inside the original user's home folder. Start by removing any Fusion-related preference files found in /Users/username/Library/Preferences to the Desktop. Do the same with any Fusion-related files isn /Users/username/Library/Application Support. Open Fusion again after removing these files.

If you have problems in the test account too follow the same steps as above in the /Library folder.

It's important to remember not to delete the files. Also remember the original location of the files when you remove them so they can be moved back if necessary. I usually recreate the folder structure inside a folder on my Desktop.

Post back your results or additional questions.
Preclaro_tipo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:53 AM   #22
arkmannj
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to arkmannj
Has anyone noticed any real improvement over Fusion 5?
Performance, etc.. ?

I'm on a MBP (Retina) 16GB Ram, 512MBSSD. (Late 2012/Early 2013 model)
I also have a MacBook Air (Late 2012 Model)

If performance is better then 50.00 might be worth it. Otherwise I see no real reason to upgrade.
arkmannj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:53 AM   #23
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks for posting your experiences with the 6.0.0 upgrade. I'm on 5.0.3 now but will wait for 6.0.1 to do the upgrade.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:53 AM   #24
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
damn, these yearly required upgrades are so tiresome. I think I have paid them nearly a grand over the years.

Actually you don't really need to be upgrading, I've tried the earlier version of VMWare Fusion and It runs Windows perfectly fine on Mavericks..
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:55 AM   #25
flyingember
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
why do you have to upgrade every year? just use the software until you have to upgrade
because vmware is really bad about not adding support for new OS releases into their older versions

like ANY version below 4.1.3 refused to launch in 10.8
imagine buying 3.x in June and if they had done the month before thing when releasing 4.x (Sep 2011), suddenly in April 2012 you were looking at buying new in less than a year if you wanted an OS upgrade

unknown if this becomes the case for 10.9 also, their host/client support resources aren't current
flyingember is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion